Forums » Group W Forums » Controverial Topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 11:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

it's getting so that you can't even insult people around here???

but stuff gets fixed....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 12:22 am

Todd, I couldn't get on here for about a day and a half, either. I'm trying to get a refund! Anybody wanna buy the internet, cheap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 1:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

thanks joe. there for a while i thought i was in left field???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:13 am

Senior ArloNetizen

hi, i'm home!!! Image

no sweet baby james, but...

Image wow!!!

(i rushed the stage, and shook jt's hand! me! i mean, ME!)

jt wore cowboy boots, cheryl. no socks were visible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:15 am

Senior ArloNetizen

ah crud, that was wrong.

no *STORY* about sweet baby james. of course, we got the song...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 5:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

Since he's not Arlo we'll assume his socks weren't red. Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 9:26 am

Arlo Fanatic

i've heard him tell the story..bout sweet and arlo, and mass...

do you know it?

just asking,,

either way,,,glad you had a good time. i'm sure you did us proud!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 9:50 am

Senior ArloNetizen

it was great. and no, i've never heard jt's side - can you tell it, todd? i'd appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 10:38 am

Senior ArloNetizen

here are a couple of things that cracked me up, at the concert. first, he handles "hecklers" or - well, yelling requesters? with great grace and humor.

after the 2nd or third song, someone yelled out "copperline!!!!" and jt bent over, picked up a full sized black posterboard with silver writing on it, turned it over, and pointed - and said: copperline is here. second set. we just got here (turned it back over, and pointed to the last song they'd done.) then he dropped the piece of posterboard at his feet, again.

it just reminded me of arlo saying that he used to write out his set list and tape it to his guitar, til he got to the point where he could not hold the guitar far enough away to read it, anymore.

midway through the first set, a lady went to the stage and gave jt flowers, and then another... and another, i think. and then this little girl walked up there with 2 scraggly flowers, with a note attached, and a couple of women in the first row encouraged her to get UP to the stage and hold them up.

he was doing something, not really paying attention to the front of the stage. and the girl got nervous and stepped back, but the ladies said, no! get up there. this happened a couple of times, and finally, in unison, both ladies said, "MR. TAYLOR!" and he looked down, and smiled to the little girl, took the flowers and shook her hand. as she ran back to her seat, he wrapped both hands around the stems, as if he were supporting charlie brown's christmas tree. Image

to me, the funniest part of that was that they didn't say, "james" or "jt" or whatever. it was "mister taylor." btw - one of the ladies encouraging the little girl was judy, who stepped aside for me to step to the stage - and kept yelling, go on! put out your hand!! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 11:41 am

Arlo Fanatic

Would that have been 'our' Judy.

*sounds like a great time star! It's nice to hear James still has his sence of humor. Folk-music's finest quality......(besides all that 'We shall over-come bull-crap)....

** Example being Neil Y. Sometimes he is TOO Damn serious, and I'm not so sure it helps his act... Mostly what he's saying is true, however. (just bland to the ear-drums)Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:08 pm

well, Rb, we need the "we shall overcome bull-crap" as you phrased it, untill we do, too (but, re-reading, I think you meant that, also....)
Niel Young's just being himself, anyway, if that's the public personna he chooses to show, it's his thang....I like what he said, in "Southern Man" and I still refuse to sing along w/ "Sweet Home Alabama"
That is funny, Star...can you imagine people shouting "Mr Guthrue!!!" to Arlo??, he'd think they wanted his Grandfather...!

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Bumper on Aug 04, 2001 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:34 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

this was a judy in chicago, rb. didn't look like "our" (connecticut) judy in the least.

you know, i had a great time, and the music was fun. but, if i could have changed something, there might have been more of that "we shall overcome" bull-crap, to be honest.

most of the songs were WONDERFUL (and some classics). but, a couple were just so... muzaky. nonetheless, he didn't do 4 or 5 in a row like that - he did one or two, total, and they were between great, bouncy, "up" songs, or classics. it's just, had it been my choice, one might have been replaced - maybe by "we shall overcome".

that's what i was thinking, bumper. that a "MISTER GUTHRIE" would probably get arlo to look over his shoulder, or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 5:05 pm

Arlo has that unique type of personality that, when you see him perform, you feel like you've known him all your life. Hence, we refer to him as "Arlo" whereas we call somebody like Dylan by his last name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 2:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

trust me...if i called arlo mr guthrie to his face he would immediately become suspicous.

and with good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 3:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Starchild:

you know, i had a great time, and the music was fun. but, if i could have changed something, there might have been more of that "we shall overcome" bull-crap, to be honest.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Odd, with JT and politics. He played No Nukes and wrote Stand And Fight about the "overcome bull-crap." Right after the Gulf War, when the whole public was doing its thing having 6 months of parades and finally getting to win the war in Viet Nam, he recorded a song, Slap Leather, that pretty much showed that his take on that whole phenomenon was that it was a bunch of testosterone-driven, uh, slapping of leather. Now at that time, this was literally on a level with burning the flag, but everyone said, well, he's an old folkie, what do you expect? (Also a few people thought he was right... but that's another movie...)

Now the fans don't really like Slap Leather very much, and though it's a good throwaway rock tune to get the audience in a good mood, he wouldn't dare do it. I think a lot of his fans are still uneasy about the whole thing and prefer an apolitical JT. There was a huge blowup, one of the first, on JTO, after someone suggested once that playing ultra-lucrative corporate gigs for major polluters was not exactly in the JT tradition. You could have bottled the waves of yuppie angst, with all the "This is America and by God, he'll play for anyone he wants, you commies," (someone actually said commies at one point), as if that was the issue.

I think what I'm getting at is that JT fans are not exactly the same demographic you'd expect at a Utah Phillips gig.

-Z

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.