Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Nope. It would be a plot spoiler.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

awesomely broad strokes!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:17 pm

I believe the "they" Len is referencing is the "far left true believers in Obama" agnes. Although I have been - and could be - wrong. (I'm used to it by now)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:18 am

Arlo Fanatic

yes, i realize len was referencing the "far left true believers in obama" (however THEY may be comprised) (in other words, i am not really sure who would comprise that group)...but i was more curious to know about this group...and what len was saying are their favorite programs, their most despised programs etc....

it seemed a picture painted with a very broad brush

and as i have said, i ain't drank nobody's kool-aid

agnes wrote:
len wrote:
The harshness of the coming year will be the far left true believers in Obama who finally realize that the cuts in Federal spending will be in their favorite programs while the ones they do not support or actively despise will receive greater funding. They will blame the usual suspects and they will be right but they will also be part of the problem. It is rare to find those who can simultaneously be sanguine as they stare into the horror of the scene unfolding.

pardon my ignorance (i'm not proud!) i am trying to understand what this is saying...what are you saying would be "THEIR (however they may be comprised) favorite programs" and what are the ones THEY "actively despise"? i suppose if i know what those are? i may be able to figure out "the problem" THEY (however they may be comprised) will also be a part of...?

sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

I can't agree that there are all that many "far-left true believers in Obama." Sure, a lot of us voted for him, but he's a centrist. It was a struggle to decide between centrist Obama and corporatist Clinton. There was a lot of somewhat misguided elation after the election--on my part, I freely admit; and I had higher expectations than I should have. But it promised to be the best we've been able to do in a long, long time. And still, he is the best we've had in nine long years. But my rose-colored glasses shattered decades ago.

Edited to say, "In other words, what Agnes said."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Ceashel, you have articulated my perspective almost exactly. Many of our generation (including me) find it difficult to give up our utopian dreams, the dreams we experienced during the 1960's when we saw first-hand a tremendous upheaval in our society.......and I hope we never lose sight of those dreams. But we grow older and hopefully wiser, and reality softens and blurs the sharp razor edge of nievity. Idealism is the foundation of a process, not an event. The election of Obama was not an instant sprinkling if pixie dust that transforms all things......it was a part of the process that gets us closer to understanding the nature of change and pixie dust...... :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"this November, the torch will be passed again to a new generation of Americans. So, with Barack Obama and for you and for me, our country will be committed to his cause. The work begins anew. The hope rises again. And the dream lives on".........Ted Kennedy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

And the MIC will be heavily funded, HLS will be heavily funded. A few boutique projects in which the right people are invested will be funded. NASA, transportation, health and social programs will be cut.

Watch. He's a bot, Shelley. He talks a good game but in the end, he's a bot. That speech and the show with the Repubs were shows. It lifted the ratings of Keith Olbermann but until he shows he has the cahones to fight, it's just talk and if you listened carefully, the funds are going to the usual suspects.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

what stays foremost in my mind is that obama is...........a politician.

ceashel, i too feel a lot better though since he took office after...??? but i think we both know that neither one of us has paid him that much of a compliment in saying that!

so far i am not sorely dissappointed (although i am not without frustration).
he does seem to have to work with a lot of opposition to pretty much everything? has any other democratic president had as much complete and utter oppostion from republicans? and visa versa? i don't know
i am certainly not the most politically savvy person you have ever seen (grew up in an a-political environment...a-political...but that is another story)
politics is strange though sure enough...i learn by listening to the news, some reading, and listening to other people (including those who have posted here) the job being to sort out what makes sense from what does not...fact from fiction...rational from irrational)
i am still wondering how things will go
he seems to care and he seems to be trying?

on the subject of war...i hate it too,,,it seems such a waste of human potential. i also find it hard to separate us by countries because it seems (my thoughts) that if there is trouble in a place, it will eventually ripple out beyond the borders of that place? i also appreciate though the concept of caring for ones own garden. i wish (now this may be crazy) but i wish we humans were at a place where our thoughts about war were, "what? war? what? no...you can't do that....you can't do that!!...that is crazy! gasp!....what????" so i wonder,,, what should be done...what are root causes of a war? how can they be fixed? how long will it take? what steps and how many will it take to correct this?

i hardly slept at all so i hope i am making some kind of sense

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I find the distinct party line divisions on issues hard to grasp. If you get a bunch of different people together, they will disagree on something but (unless they have some really big psychological issues) seem to be able to find common ground on and agreement somewhere. Not, for the most part, politicians. It's like lemmings following each other off the cliff. Don't seem too prone to independent thinking, no matter which party.

My sweetie's boss is a psychiatrist. His description of politicians is "pathological liars".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I have to step back from all of that and see the show for what it is. There are too few who meet JFK's model of Profiles in Courage and too many who subscribe to Nixon's "win on the tube or else". So all one can do to get a reality check is ignore the speechy stuff and watch the federal budget, the supreme court decisions, and so on.

If they shut down the Constellation project, that's the end of American manned space flight. They talk a good game about private industry but building man-rated systems is expensive and not something private industry will do on it's own. The best shot at ending slavery in this country was the public health option and that's the first thing Big O surrendered. I remain unimpressed and blaming the pressure from the Other Side is a cop out. You don't take that job intending change unless you're ready to fight and he simply isn't. Nice guy but no experience. It's time to face up to the lack of bench depth on his team.

Still, good things happen. Levon Helm won another Grammy!

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20100131/ENT04/100131010/Woodstock-shines-at-Grammys--Levon-Helm--Steve-Earle-win-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm

My apologies agnes, I misunderstood your question to Len.

As to why humans aren't so appalled by war for it to be an unthinkable endeavor in which to involve other humans, perhaps it lies in the human heart. Why would anyone think killing another would be a justifiably good thing? Yet, there are humans that think in just that way - whether it be on the grand scale of war or the personal scale of murder. It's incomprehensible to some degree. Is it self importance, greed, envy, or just plain evil that lurks and is the culprit? My choice is all the above.

"pathological liars" - I like that one Capt. Just give me some integrity - that'd be a good start. Perhaps the divisions you mention are due to blind passion by those elected individuals.

The thing that just occurred to me is the answer would create as much division as the question. Why should that be so? Again, perhaps it lies within the human heart.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

nortonkevin wrote:
Ceashel, you have articulated my perspective almost exactly. :idea:

Comes from sharing a brain cell...

Edited for spelling/grammar...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Or in this case, a "Brain-Shell"(y) :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

I'd Love to see Obama become a centrist. I recently found out his name comes from the Bible. I was reading the Bible a few weeks ago and came across in there the name Barack (sp?). I think it was in a so and so begat so and so section. I thought wow, I had no idea his name was Biblical...