Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I was hoping we could hear from the folkslinger what he thinks of the election of Brown in MA. Is this your kind of Republican, ADG?

mikey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:14 am

Arlo Fanatic

Finally Mass saw the light. :) Hopefully Arlo will weigh in on here...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:53 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Obama is cool with waiting until he takes his seat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

ADG weighed in on Facebook.

Quote:
My thoughts on the election in Mass? Firstly I'm not really a confirmed Republican so much as a Ron Paul Republican (even tho I don't agree with a lot of his positions either). That being said I'm really an Independent. Scoot Brown's election is interesting. If voters in Mass were like me, they voted for the guy for a number of reasons the primary... one being that the Democrats in congress are (with a few notable exceptions) as much in the pockets of big money as Republicans have proved to be. I think it's better to junk the health care bill as proposed by the senate and start again. We need a national health care system without for-profit multinational corporations involved at all, just like police and fire fighters - where everyone kicks in a little and the system serves everyone. Brown's election at least will kill the bill as it stands... fine by me. Now we have to put up with the rest of his idiocy... until the next election when we can get someone in there who is more like what everyone is asking for. Someone who gets it.

BTW, I didn't vote in Mass. I'm generally unhappy with the result, but understand why it went down.

I live where we elect Democrats who then switch parties on us (Richard Shelby and Parker Griffith) and after they use the Democratic money to do that, there is nothing we can do about it except wait for the next election. Meanwhile, all their committee positions are forfeit. Not happy about that!

The anger is building in intensity. Congress may look like a Freshman college orientation class come next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:54 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Interesting. I wouldn't mind killing the H.C. Bill as is. All they have done is Babble-on for a year now. If the Bill passes as is, it will be a crime not to have H.C. The crime of that should not fall on the working stiff trying to get by.

Is Babble-on just a coincidence? Hope it doesn't fall for things are bad enough as is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for posting that on here, len. I'm the guy on Facebook that posed the question to ADG, and glad to see his reply.

mikey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I thought that might be the case, Mikey. I copied his response here to keep the record intact. People take Arlo seriously now and then. :) If Mass gave the swift kick to the Big O that he's been needing, I'm fine with that.

My anger over the Supreme Court decision just keeps boiling over. I want to say that decision is unbelievable but given all the events from 2000 to now, it is all too believable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:15 am

Arlo Fanatic

I saw ya'lls guy Dennis Kucinich on Bill O'Reillys show. Only reason I saw that was my mom has it on tv as usual. I only saw a minute of it but Kucinich was saying something about if the election went that way cuz either folks were fed up with the Dems or the conservatives and it was okay if they felt like that. Something like that. I forget the exact quote as that was some hrs back. But I thought, the folks on Arlonet like him...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

len wrote:
My anger over the Supreme Court decision just keeps boiling over. I want to say that decision is unbelievable but given all the events from 2000 to now, it is all too believable.

Aye! The Re:Constitution .... "We, the corporations of the United States of America, in order to fit more politicians into our pockets ..." Big WTF!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Got this from MoveOn.org the other day. It's worth a shot:

Yesterday, the Supreme Court announced a disastrous rollback of campaign finance laws. Their 5-4 decision gives corporations free rein to spend unlimited amounts of money on elections.

It's a horrible decision. But we can undo some of the damage if Congress passes public financing of elections, which would give progressives and populists who don't have industry backing the ability to compete.

I just signed a petition urging Congress to pass public financing of elections quickly--can you join me at the link below?

http://pol.moveon.org/fairelectionsnow/ ... =confemail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Signed Zap.

5:31 PM 1-23-2010

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"There are two things that are important in politics. The first is money and I can't remember the second".

Mark Hanna, 19th century Republican politician and campaign manager

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 pm

I'd like to see something where ALL candidates in an election get a guaranteed 5 minutes a day on the Big 3 - NBC, ABC, & CBS - FOR FREE. The 5 minutes can be used as the candidate sees fit; 5 one minute commercials, 10 30 second spots, etc and would be only for the month immediately preceding the election. The spots can be put anywhere/anytime at the candidates discretion in those 30 days. The networks can DONATE the time to each candidate. That would take the money issue out of that area of campaigning. And my guess is the networks can afford to do so.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Ron, I've been saying that for years... but who am I? No one listens to me :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:29 am

Senior ArloNetizen

[/quote]
The anger is building in intensity. Congress may look like a Freshman college orientation class come next year.[/quote]

Len, I am beginning to feel that might be THE right thing.