Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: Re: dangerous animal too
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I believe that bin Laden said this, "If they would have listened to us, we would not have had to fly planes into their buildings." One Country's terrorist, is another Country's Freedom Fighter. Not that I condone them, though I respect them more than US going over the United Nations Security Council, and breaking a Treaty we signed with the rest of the World.

:mrgreen: :twisted: :evil:

Attachments:
1492.jpg
1492.jpg [ 41.01 KiB | Viewed 8123 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvrNYHTvG5U&feature=player_embedded

This is nice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

As far as simian genes or Gene Simians (whatever), I just hope that our bonobo-related genes do eventually win out. It would take giving up the virtually worldwide male domination of our societies, but I think that if the men of the world knew what the payoff would be, they'd throw down their 'swords' immediately.

Thanks, Len--try this site instead.

Bonobo Conservation Initiative

Last edited by Ceashel on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Quote:
For example: true, women have "pendulous breasts," but hey, men have pendulous ears, and what could those possibly be for? Any serious evolutionary scholar can plainly see that the human male is designed to be listening to women at all times. That's why their ears are larger.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/09/02/shalit.infidelity/index.html?hpt=C2

Can't follow your link, C. The firewall blocks it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Len, see my first post--that url wasn't playing nicely, so i redirected to one that should work better. Thanks for the heads-up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

len wrote:
Faith is not about what you know and won't do; it's about what you will do when you don't know. If faith is used to put young men on jets and fly them into buildings full of innocent people, that's pure evil in my book and faith in evil is spiritual cancer. It grows at a fast rate and kills the host by consuming it.

What does this have to do with anything?It is a bunch of words with little relevance to anything. Are you saying god's will is spiritual cancer?

len wrote:
If faith causes the ladies group at a church to find new or not so old clothes and give them to kids in a family where the parents have been without work for a year so those kids won't be humiliated at the start of the school year, then that faith is faith in goodness and it sustains us.

Faith in what? Faith in goodness? What is the relevance? What are you trying to say? Why would faith cause a ladies group at a church to give clothes to a family? Why wouldn't they just give cloths to a family because they needed them? Really, I am just trying to understand what this means and how it is relevant to a bunch of religious fanatics flying planes into towers and blowing a bunch of people away that ends up starting a war that kills 100,000's of people. Maybe I am slow but it is not connecting for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Quote:
They are highly intelligent. Some bonobos in captivity have even learned to use human language!

So Sarah Palin isn't really a Bonobo or she lives in the wild? Oh, right. Alaska.

Quote:
Bonobos exemplify how society can be successfully organized through cooperation and sharing of resources, as opposed to competition, territoriality and violence (as demonstrated by our other closest primate relatives, the male-dominated chimpanzees). Further, bonobos show how love - and love-making - can ease tensions and keep the peace.

So the deal is if we men give all our money to our wives we'll have more sex?

Can I get that in writing?

Quote:
Bonobos and people share more than 98% of the same genetic make-up (DNA).

Well, that supports Heraclitus's position. Now I know what you meant about the 2% difference you mentioned in GB, C. I thought it was about intelligence.

Quote:
When bonobo groups meet in the forest, they greet each other, bond sexually, and share food instead of fighting. Likewise, almost any conflict between bonobos is eased by sexual activity, grooming, or sharing food.

So Bonobos have tailgating parties. I'll bring more food next time I come to Great Barrington. Apparently I didn't understand the ritual.

Quote:
While in many ways, males and females have "separate but equal" roles, females carry the highest rank, and the sons of ranking females are the leaders among males. Females form close bonds and alliances, which is another way they maintain their power among males, who are larger and stronger physically...Bonobo males tend to be a bit more polite. They ask first, by displaying themselves in a persuasive but non-aggressive manner, offering food or making other propositions - and bonobo females have the right to refuse.

Heck, I can stay here in Alabama for that deal, mad'm. The only difference is we have NASCAR on cable.

Quote:
When bonobos gather in the trees to make their night nests, they fill the twilight with a symphony of soprano squeals.

Once again, I fit right in. Still singing first tenor.

Quote:
On rare occasions, they have been observed to capture duikers (small antelope) or flying squirrels, but this seems to be circumstantial.

Bullwinkle and I will have to talk.

Quote:
Besides heterosexual contact, both male and female bonobos engage in same-sex encounters, and even group sex occurs.

Eeeyurp! I'll just have to watch. Do they have cable? I don't think I am intelligent enough to be a bonobo. Back to the races!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

len wrote:
Assaults on religion have one very predictable outcome: people lose faith.

I am really trying here, I am reading this and trying to understand. I am not assaulting religion. I am expressing my religion. In my religion, there is no need for a god. Gods are dangerous and harmfull from my observations and I don't want to be associated with gods. I have faith, strong faith, that this is so. In my religion I see gods separating and destroying and I would like to express my dissatisfaction with this circumstance.
len wrote:
When they do that, the atheist believes they will turn to science, discover truth and all will be well.
I would hope all could be well but these religious people around me keep blowing people up and starting wars.
len wrote:
But every society in history I know about that tried that ended in ruin. Whether that is genetic or cultural, whether the universe is powered by a flying spaghetti monster or a higgs-boson 'god' particle, I won't say because I don't know.
Funny, it seems religion has been a more prominent than non religion. I am unfamiliar with these societies you speak of?

len wrote:
I do know that attacking belief without having a more attractive option is telling people their baby is ugly. Those kinds of opinions just start fights and after the fight, the baby grows up anyway.

I am not attacking "belief". If all the believers would stop killing each other in the name of god then I would not mention a thing. If all the believers would stop imposing their will on the way I and others live then the world would be a better place. What separates you from me? You express your beliefs and I am expected to just accept them even though I find them dangerous and divisive.

Who is calling whose baby ugly?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

heraclitis wrote:
len wrote:

I am really trying here, I am reading this and trying to understand. I am not assaulting religion. I am expressing my religion. In my religion, there is no need for a god.

that is an interesting concept. i hope i have not taken outlandish liberties with the word religion...i try to speak what i know out of my experiences...i hope i am understood...i think i am sometimes.

when i say that i do not subscribe to this religion (the most prevalent where i am) or that, (because of my experiences and what i see) i am often automatically assumed to be horrible or in some way less than....unable to be any good at all. that is just weird

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
heraclitis wrote:
len wrote:

I am really trying here, I am reading this and trying to understand. I am not assaulting religion. I am expressing my religion. In my religion, there is no need for a god.

that is an interesting concept. i hope i have not taken outlandish liberties with the word religion...i try to speak what i know out of my experiences...i hope i am understood...i think i am sometimes.

when i say that i do not subscribe to this religion (the most prevalent where i am) or that, (because of my experiences and what i see) i am often automatically assumed to be horrible or in some way less than....unable to be any good at all. that is just weird

people of belief often assume i am missing something in life...i am not... i don't have issues about who or what i am and i don't need promises of afterlife and paradise...it is not a mystery

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

heraclitis wrote:
I am not attacking "belief". If all the believers would stop killing each other in the name of god then I would not mention a thing. If all the believers would stop imposing their will on the way I and others live then the world would be a better place. What separates you from me? You express your beliefs and I am expected to just accept them even though I find them dangerous and divisive.

Who is calling whose baby ugly?

Are you expecting Christians to do what they say they do? Good luck with that one.

I didn't say nuthin' 'bout no baby.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I thought I was describing what I believe and know. If someone else doesn't believe the same, that's alright. As to what I know, that's a mystery to anyone else but me.

Tonight I'm learning GABRIEL'S MOTHER'S HIGHWAY BALLAD #16 BLUES from my favorite teacher about such things.

Peace.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:01 am

Arlo Fanatic

A great and challenging piece to learn!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:03 am

Arlo Fanatic

len wrote:
I thought I was describing what I believe and know. If someone else doesn't believe the same, that's alright. As to what I know, that's a mystery to anyone else but me.

Tonight I'm learning GABRIEL'S MOTHER'S HIGHWAY BALLAD #16 BLUES from my favorite teacher about such things.

Peace.

:D

I thought I was just saying I can't understand what you are saying. You just kind of wandered off on tangents about faith and ugly babies?

That is a lovely song by the way and I like to dream about things myself. I sing all kind of gospel songs. I have no grudge against Jesus and I have no grudge against Mohammad for all I know. Those are just stories. In those stories, Jesus is tolerant and inclusive. He does not damn people for being different. Other people had to come along later and do that for him. I am not opposed to spiritual dreaming about a human race and a planet that is full of peace and love and happiness. You know, it is the old, if Jesus were alive to day, would he be christian? (In my religion he would absolutely reject christianity and god worshiping in general and the leaders of the worlds religions today would damn him and crucify him for it.) He is not alive. He is like a comic book hero and he has been redefined by so many sequels that it has all become a meaningless ringing in the ears like gunfire and explosives. All you get that puts Jesus in the real perspective are Gospel songs, and that is good enough for me!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:27 am

Arlo Fanatic

nortonkevin wrote:
A great and challenging piece to learn!!!

It is. It comes from the time when all the folk singers were impressing each other with classy chops. After moving on to the rock scene, I didn't come back to this one until now.

I probably won't get it note for note. Chords and feel will be enough.

Quote:
You just kind of wandered off on tangents about faith and ugly babies?

You said what you want to say. Me too. Conversation doesn't always lead to understanding. I consider explaining the behaviors of Christians as a class about the same way blacks feel about explaining behaviors of blacks as a class.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.