Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

Post subject: Re: stuff about stuff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

beverleyknowles wrote:
agnes wrote:

Like the banana came into creation as it is today...

http://cwh.ucsc.edu/bananas/Site/The%20 ... anana.html

while watching your Banana clip I found a better one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

Now we don't really like peanut butter in our house so I can't keep 'experimenting' with that. I'm going to try it with beer instead!

I'll let you know when I strike it lucky.

agnes wrote:
all i can say about the peanut butter clip is, wow

thanks for posting the information on bananas

and besides that bananas are a hybridized modification

the banana clip is hilarious on so many levels!

while we are talking alchemy, i have actually had beer made with banana and barley….it was dang tasty, and a tad potent!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
while we are talking alchemy, i have actually had beer made with banana and barley….it was dang tasty, and a tad potent!

But did you get a new life from it :?: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

beverleyknowles wrote:
agnes wrote:

But did you get a new life from it :?: :wink:

i have heard beer referred to as an age old consoler of man, so i guess it was nothing that new.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... 0-23421812

i wish we humans could find it more important to spend more of our time and resources researching, understanding, and finding remedies for these types of things, rather than having them usurped for….so much destructiveness, involving war and power for instance

including time spent bending our minds on such strange ideologies as (re: pat robertson…sounds a bit ghoulish!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/2 ... 89084.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvdyyqzxV4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

while we are here, i thought this was pretty well articulated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0sftrzOQ_Y

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
while we are here, i thought this was pretty well articulated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0sftrzOQ_Y

i am just finding these videos (note: i am not referring to the imagine song by john lennon performed in ASL, as i found that one a while back and have posted it before) , but these videos revolving around the topic of religion. i have expressed many of my thoughts here based on my own reflections about it and my experiences, and some of these videos have me feeling now not quite so all alone here. it is fair to note i suppose, that i am not inclined to follow in lock step with anyone about it (and i think this would be tolerated pretty well with some of these speakers, and even encouraged). it is nice to feel not quite so all alone here. i do feel to be on "on the same page"
(the banana clip i posted, along with the peanut butter clip beverley posted, they are in another realm, but sort of "enlightening" in their own way)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:34 am

Arlo Fanatic

(((Agnes))) you last post sounded as if you needed a reassuring hug. We are all pages in the same book, sad frightening at times I know, but there will always be someone who decorates their page in a manner similar to you.

I don't mind 'Religion' in which ever wired and wonderful way a person sees and practices it, float your own boat and if you don't rock mine I won't rock yours, and we'll sail the same sea together side by side as friends. But there is, and it shouldn't reflect badly on those just trying to live a good life side by side, there has been and still is a lot of wrong done in the name of religion, and that is something I can't be a part of.

The school where Arlo goes is catholic (really didn't have much choice at the time), they don't really ram religion down the children's throats any more than any other school so I can cope, but I have other issues with the school (and there isn't enough space on the internet for me to get started on that, so I won't) I have been helping out there for around five years and a teacher I get on with very well was doing the religious census, she asked what I was, and told her put down Pastafarian http://www.venganza.org/, she didn't know what I was on about, so I said if I have to be something put down a blunderite as I have been to that church, or even pagan, i don't like being nothing as in me there is everything somewhere, good-bad or both. she looked at me with a smile and said she didn't want to or saw the point in the census but had to and please just let her tick a box, and asked if N/A would do.

And not being applicable to anyone or anything but myself seemed a good way to be :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

thank you (((beverley))) it is nice to get a hug.

it (religious dogma) just seems to so often create such a narrow scope of things….often projected onto other humans. as a byproduct of religious dogma. it is like it can become another form of ego tripping on some level? us humans can be pretty moody anyhow, we really don't need to aggravate things.

anyhow, i think the first time i heard of the flying spaghetti monster was from captain zap, i am like, "what in the world is that?" haha! i had not seen that site though.

something else i remember, which really doesn't have to do with religion (at least it didn't in my head, i just thought it an interesting way to look at it.) but anyway, i'd posted a vid and goofus made some crack about what is that jug sitting on the floor that looks like a bong (haha) (hi goofus!) and i didn't know what it was, but it looked like a percussion instrument of some sort and i pinned it down to an udu. and zap comes in and confirms, "yep" since he had one or two, don't remember exactly,,,,but anyway it is a ceramic jug with and added hole for a particular sound and he was saying like, that it had all four elements: earth, water (clay), fire (from kiln), and air (for the added sound)….and the person playing adds the fifth element, which is spirit. i thought it an interesting way to see it.

here are some examples, in case you don't know and are curious (as you can see, they do not all look the same)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ44TcvX5Q4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yes, it was captain Zap who first introduced me to the flying spaghetti monster, :) I bet if we trail through the old threads we'll be able to fined it, may be at the end of next month I will, I have a final 4000 words to write!

I don't remember exactly about the bong/udu, but it kind of rings a bell.

I agree about your dogma theory, just because you open one door doesn't mean you have to close the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoCy8LaBi9A

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:

i thought that was an interesting commentary, he seemed to be covering all sorts of approaches, and that story was something else.

judges 11, you should read it.

i was not incredibly familiar with that story. in reading a few translations i can see how what actually became of jephthah's daughter could be a little unclear as some of it sounds a tad ambiguous, as the guy in the video stated. at the beginning, it looks straight up saying, that the first thing that meets him from out of his house will be offered up to the lord as a burnt offering. (which sounds pretty loaded right there)

so then when jephthah returns from battle, and it is his daughter, his only child, who meets him,,,,she winds up being very cooperative.

from the complete jewish bible:

(now here jephthah is referred to as "yiftach" and "adonai" is a title referring to god)

29 Then the spirit of Adonai came upon Yiftach; and he passed through Gil‘ad and M’nasheh, on through Mitzpeh of Gil‘ad, and from there over to the people of ‘Amon. 30 Yiftach made a vow to Adonai: “If you will hand the people of ‘Amon over to me, 31 then whatever comes out the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the people of ‘Amon will belong to Adonai; I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”
--------

37 Then she said to her father, “Just do this one thing for me — let me be alone for two months. I’ll go away into the mountains with my friends and mourn, because I will die without getting married.” 38 “You may go,” he answered, and he sent her away for two months. She left, she and her friends, and mourned in the mountains that she would die unmarried. 39 After two months she returned to her father, and he did with her what he had vowed; she had remained a virgin.
------
from the king james version:
29 Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.
30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the Lord, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
----
37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.
38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.
39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man.
------
from the living bible:
29 At that time the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he led his army across the land of Gilead and Manasseh, past Mizpah in Gilead, and attacked the army of Ammon. 30-31 Meanwhile Jephthah had vowed to the Lord that if God would help Israel conquer the Ammonites, then when he returned home in peace, the first person coming out of his house to meet him would be sacrificed as a burnt offering to the Lord!
------
37 But first let me go up into the hills and roam with my girlfriends for two months, weeping because I’ll never marry.”
38 “Yes,” he said. “Go.”
And so she did, bewailing her fate with her friends for two months. 39 Then she returned to her father, who did as he had vowed. So she was never married.
----
now backing up a bit, it looks like to start with, jephthah, whose mom was a prostitute, wasn't good enough for any kind of inheritance, but then all a sudden, he was good enough to go and get in order to help whup up on the ammonites.
now back to his daughter….she does come across as very compliant, but wants to go off to the hills with her friends for a time to mourn her virginity. well okay….but what about the part about being a burnt offering? and if she really was offered up as a burnt virgin sacrifice, and being so very compliant….it would have been nice if some sort of intervention took place like with the thing with abraham and isaac. i don't know!

and then that whole thing with lot and that lot…don't get me started on that again.

now i remember again why i hadda run away from religion! (screams)

anyhow, what i am getting at is, i am not sure how that religion can get so much credit for inspiring love and compassion when its holy book is so full of mixed messages! i mean, if there are passages that you find that inspire you in a positive healthy way, well that's great! but in the context of the book being the straight up word of god, that is when things get weird! and i do think that humans are capable of love and compassion even without it having to be attached to a religion.

i know that was a whopper of a post, but that video got me to thinking about it!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Very interesting. You now have me wanting to read Judges 11 in my Bible reading tonite before going to bed. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

is it just me, or does anyone else think this Rolex spam & spammer are inappropriate for this site and need to be booted out. calling Captain Zap!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I got board of reporting it, so I emailed Dave directly. I got a automated reply a few days later saying it had been dealt with!

He must have sold him a clock.