Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Arlo's Restaurant

Post subject: Good To Be Here
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:23 am

The Folkslinger

December 16, 2018

The primary reason I love this forum, is that unlike FaceBook, or things of that ilk, it's pretty straight forward. When I check my FaceBook Page, I have wade through Co-Hosting Events, Imported Events, Boost an Instagram Post, Get more Page Likes, Get Started With Automated Ads, Upcoming Events, Photos, Videos etc… before I even get to see the latest post - The reason for being there in the first place. Maybe it's different for other people, but you get the idea. There's a lot of crappola to scroll through before you get to see anything of interest.

More and more I find myself wandering back to this forum because it's just plain simple with no one selling anything (usually). Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good things about having access to social media on a global scale, but somehow this seems more intimate and close to home, even though it's also available world-wide.

A few days ago I was answering questions for someone writing an article about my days growing up in Howard Beach, Queens, NY. And I thought back to my days in elementary school. The first girl I even kissed was named Marie. We were in class together probably in the 3rd or 4th grade. I couldn't remember her last name though. Then yesterday I found an old class picture and our names were listed. So I checked FaceBook for her name, and found a few matches, but only one that lived around the same neighborhood, though it was not her, way too young. I wrote her a note telling her I was looking for her grandmother, or great aunt etc., who I'd gone to school with back in the 50's. I haven't heard back. But FaceBook is great for that kind of stuff. For most other things, like whatever this is, I'm having more fun here.

Attachment:
IMG_7201.PNG
IMG_7201.PNG [ 930.66 KiB | Viewed 17172 times ]

Post subject: Re: Good To Be Here
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

is that you in the back wearing glasses?

awwww…

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:01 pm

The Folkslinger

Yeah... That's a very young version of me. Old pix can be pretty funny. That's back when I thought I was normal... well, not really, but sorta normal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:14 am

Arlo Fanatic

I found a cousin I haven’t seen since I was about 22 on Facebook. Nice to be in contact again; he’s family. I also have as Facebook friends the first guy I kissed as a teenager, a couple of old boyfriends and a woman who I’ve known the the longest; we were toddlers when we met. Add to that former neighbors from 40 years ago. It’s amazing how Facebook and Google helps us find our pasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:40 am

The Folkslinger

sue wrote:
I found a cousin I haven’t seen since I was about 22 on Facebook. Nice to be in contact again; he’s family. I also have as Facebook friends the first guy I kissed as a teenager, a couple of old boyfriends and a woman who I’ve known the the longest; we were toddlers when we met. Add to that former neighbors from 40 years ago. It’s amazing how Facebook and Google helps us find our pasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Sue! Yeah this social media stuff isn't all bad. There's some great things about it. Just wish I didn't have to wade thru all the idiocy. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:39 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
December 16, 2018

The primary reason I love this forum, is that unlike FaceBook, or things of that ilk, it's pretty straight forward. When I check my FaceBook Page, I have wade through Co-Hosting Events, Imported Events, Boost an Instagram Post, Get more Page Likes, Get Started With Automated Ads, Upcoming Events, Photos, Videos etc… before I even get to see the latest post - The reason for being there in the first place. Maybe it's different for other people, but you get the idea. There's a lot of crappola to scroll through before you get to see anything of interest.

More and more I find myself wandering back to this forum because it's just plain simple with no one selling anything (usually). Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good things about having access to social media on a global scale, but somehow this seems more intimate and close to home, even though it's also available world-wide.

A few days ago I was answering questions for someone writing an article about my days growing up in Howard Beach, Queens, NY. And I thought back to my days in elementary school. The first girl I even kissed was named Marie. We were in class together probably in the 3rd or 4th grade. I couldn't remember her last name though. Then yesterday I found an old class picture and our names were listed. So I checked FaceBook for her name, and found a few matches, but only one that lived around the same neighborhood, though it was not her, way too young. I wrote her a note telling her I was looking for her grandmother, or great aunt etc., who I'd gone to school with back in the 50's. I haven't heard back. But FaceBook is great for that kind of stuff. For most other things, like whatever this is, I'm having more fun here.

Attachment:
IMG_7201.PNG
Social media can be a fun place to look people up. Last year I looked up a friend in Albany New York on Instagram. She did get back to me but she spoke to me for only 5 seconds and then ghosted me. LOL... . I tried to look up boys from school on Facebook I couldn't find them. I use social media primarily to put my own ideas out because I'm trying to work on a project. My website is on my profile. I like the forum board model better. People are more human on forum boards. I don't even go on social media to sell anything I just go on social media to look around and put my ideas out there.
Carol

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:47 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I haven't posted here in awhile, just lurk from time to time. Anyway, it is good to drop in from time to time. Like most of y'all I like Facebook for keeping up with family and friends. I refuse to get political on it, and scroll right on through all the junk and ads. Advertisers are wasting their money on me. I belong to several photography groups where we share photos and ideas. Did you know you can develop film (remember what film is?) with coffee? I've been doing a lot of that with my old Canon AE-1 camera and black and white film.

Image[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:51 pm

BlunderVirgin

hello, Arlo...

I apologize - I found your forum last Spring ( after you had announced you were "Gone fishing" ) and

I figured this place would go crazy with activity...

Of course, I don't know about all the other stuff I am sure you are involved with -
shoot, Just keeping-up with your Family could be a full-time endeavor. . .

anyway -
a long time admirer ,
Just offering, You - and your Family ( including Pete ) - Are With Us ! !

I see your post about working in the mud , and Wonder what you have moved on to...

I hope fishing - And Life- are Good ! !

Thank you for your work - and spreading your Music for more than fifty years ! !!

with Great Respect. Tom J