Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 am

The Folkslinger

I like this guy as a reasonable source of info :)

http://www.mercola.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Location: Ridgecrest, California (South of Lone Pine, North of LA)
Watch "The Future of Food" video on the above website. This affects all of us. The same company that brought us Agent Orange in Southeast Asia, Monsanto, has now patented over 11,000 varieties of seed that have always been unpatentable (prohibited by the constitution ) and has designed and patented seeds with built in pesticides. No wonder we have a major health crisis in this country.

Another great source of info on this subject is the film "The Corporation", which aired on Link TV (no corporate sponsors) a few days ago.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I don't know if they did this in neighborhoods when you all were growing up, but in the late 50's-early 60's in Indiana I remember the trucks driving through the neighborhood, spraying out smoky clouds of DDT-laced fog...probably DDT and heated mineral oil. It was for mosquito control, and we kids had the best time in summer evenings running through the "fog". No one in my family has come up with any cancers, but you still wonder if there's potential problems in the future.
I guess it was a simpler time...we'd run out the door to play, my mom would have only a vague idea where the four of us were...but when we heard her police whistle blow, we'd come running, from all over the neighborhood...including the dog! We showed up for meals, but otherwise, we pretty much ran wild all summer long...something I could not allow my own kids to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:39 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Yeah, Sue, I remember similar days in Houston as a kid. Plenty of mosquitoes, plenty of spraying. I can remember my dentist asking me if I wanted to see a penny "changed into" a dime. Of course I was excited about that. He took out a vial of mercury, dipped a penny into the vial, and then pulled it out and gave it to me, exclaiming, "See, now it's a dime", much to my amazement. I guess we were all pretty naive about all the poisons, weren't we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:
I \. It was for mosquito control, and we kids had the best time in summer evenings running through the "fog". No one in my family has come up with any cancers, but you still wonder if there's potential problems in the future.

I did that too! I have not come down with any health effects that I know of.........but I did become a blunderite. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I grew up in St. Louis-Monsanto's back yard. The place sure did stink-for miles around. We still get sprayed in Paragould for mosquitos-I think they like it, it doesn't seem to kill many of them.

In St. Louis a loud whistle blew at 9:00, which was the signal to go home. We had quite a bit of freedom, which is too dangerous for city kids now. Remember the good old days when you couldn't get away with anything? There was always a neighbor to see what you're up to and rat you out to the parents! I wonder what that whistle was really for? I never really though about it before.

I checked out the website for the FREQUENSEA. It looked very good and made perfect sense. We see articles or documentaries about places where people live the longest-like remote mountain villages. I'd guess that mearly the lack of fast food isn't what keeps them alive so long. It's probably has a lot to do with not having all the modern conveniences that modernized countries have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:56 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

sue wrote:
I guess it was a simpler time...we'd run out the door to play, my mom would have only a vague idea where the four of us were...but when we heard her police whistle blow, we'd come running, from all over the neighborhood...including the dog! We showed up for meals, but otherwise, we pretty much ran wild all summer long...something I could not allow my own kids to do.

I grew up in a VERY small town in ILL. and the city whistle blew at noon so you went in for lunch and my grandpa had a police whistle too and when he blew it in the evening...you CAME to the house... and you better had not been out of range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:08 am

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:
I don't know if they did this in neighborhoods when you all were growing up, but in the late 50's-early 60's in Indiana I remember the trucks driving through the neighborhood, spraying out smoky clouds of DDT-laced fog...probably DDT and heated mineral oil. It was for mosquito control, and we kids had the best time in summer evenings running through the "fog". No one in my family has come up with any cancers, but you still wonder if there's potential problems in the future.

I used to follow the truck on my bicycle...loved the smell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:10 am

Arlo Fanatic

I grew up in Multnomah (now Multnomah Village) in Portland Ore. It was a very healthy place. We ran all over tarnation too and just listened for Mom or Dad to yell from the back porch. Gosh I miss that, all the parents calling out as the sun went down, calling in their flock!
Anyway we had a quarter acre and lots of fruit trees (the cherries were my fave) and a big berry patch. Now this is where the unhealthy part comes in. My folks use to spray the fruit, as people did (and still do). One time the sprayer blew up all over my Mom. She stripped off and jumped in the laundry tub and washed off.
Well, out of the five of us in my family my Mom, Dad and Bro all have a form of cancer. They are all doing fine. So far my Sis and I are OK.
I grow all my fruit and veg organic. Have done for decades and also lived an hour or more out of the city since I was about 25 so I'm hoping that has helped. My beloved and my daughter and I are very healthy and I hope it stays that way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:10 am

Arlo Fanatic

We used to eat the blackberries that grew along the powerline. One of my fondest memories of summer is of putting on a longsleeved shirt to protect myself from the brambles, and going out there to pick the berries. Once my brother even hacked a tunnel through some of the taller blackberry bushes, so we could get more. I'm sure they were sprayed with the nasty stuff. Longsleeved shirts didn't protect us from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:10 am

Arlo Fanatic

i'm not gonna tell ya' that exposure to some bug spray or some other chemical you touched or wallowed in during your youth had no impact on your health, and I know many of you have had (or currently have) health issues of one sort or another, but let's try and keep a little perspective on the discussion... The science of medicine allows us to live longer lives than many preceeding generations. Unfortunately, with those longer lives, we are now manifesting diseases that were never seen, at least in such numbers, as they are now. Many years ago, living to 50 was a feat. Heart disease and bacterial infections were some of the major killers. Polio anyone? Smallpox perhaps?? As we move ahead as a civilization, we just keep encountering new diseases and new ways to potentially kill ourselves. Also remember that DETECTION has improved vastly. So now you KNOW what you're possibly dying of... instead of just wasting away and dying, of "cancer" (the generic). How many cases of Breast Cancer now get treated, and how many women gain back some years on their lives? Yeah, something may be causing this sort of cancer to bloom, but there's no definitive answer, and I'm much happier to hear folks avoid nasty things due to common sense, than to ascribe a direct relationship where none has been proven.
How many xrays have you had in your life? How many incidents of unprotected sex did many of us have? Has our ground water supply in some areas become too contaminated to be safe?
So stories of living near the powerline, or being sprayed by some possible DDT spays are merely suggestive, and shouldn't be used to connect point A to B. There are likely a myriad number of reasons why good folks get bad things to happen to them.

my ramblin' rant is over... sorry to be a PITA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:13 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I read recently that People living in states north of the desert where atomic testing was done so long ago have a high rate of cancer. The fallout had drifted north and settled on the ground. Older people remember that happening, but of course the government assured them it was nothing to worry about. The cows ate the grass and the kids who drank the milk from the cows have had all kinds of cancer in alarming rates. It seems like I remember that the government actually is taking responsibility and compensating for what happened. I'm sure it's small comfort for ther ones who have suffered or lost loved ones.

This is just one example of how things in nature are tied together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

I totally agree with Arnie's perspective. I also think that with advances in media, we are merely "hearing" more than in the past. We could also talk about crime, child abuse, rape, murder... all on the rise or are we merely hearing about it more? Pregnant women disappearing... Amber alerts... we never had Amber alerts when we were growing up, it's a new phenomenon, but doesn't point to an increase in children being abducted... just an increase in our awareness of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Arnie, you are so right. Thanks for your prespective. The only risk factor I had when I got breast cancer the first time was smoking. Now my 4 daughters are at risk, simply because I had it and if they smoke or not. I keep thinking that there must be some sort of good use for tobaco simply because it's here, on the earth. But then, what about poppy plants? Were there some bad plants on earth put here just to see what humans would do with them?

Since the world has had antibiodics they've been so over-used that new strains of bacteria have developed that the old meds can't kill. It's not the bacteria's fault that people goofed up a good thing. More and more "new" illnesses are discovered, or named as quickly as the old ones are cured or a treatment is discovered.

Maybe the bugs evolved into bugs that can withstand the sprays thrown at them from years ago too. Are there "natural" repelents to keep the bugs away from the organic trees and gardens? We have some kind of bugs that eat everything, tomato plants, flowers-even worms that kill trees from the inside. We've learned that the only way we can get rid of the moles that ruin the yard is to poison the worms they eat. When there is no food, they go away. We also have armidillos that tunnel in the yard.

Dumping industrial waste into rivers and burying it underground is just stupid. The companies doing it didn't care (still don't when they can get away with it) and didn't seem to realize, or care that it affected everyone in some way.

What is the answer?? I know I don't want beef from China.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I don’t know Arnie, I think your perspective assumes that corporations and government will behave responsibly and do the right things for the right reasons. I just don’t believe that is the case at all. Corporation exists to make money and shift liability to others (generally through government protection). Corporations like Monsanto may present a responsible face to the public with their advertising propaganda, but their staff of attorneys, bean counters, and management make calculated decisions to produce products that they know will poison our environment and they know that no one will be able to establish a cause and effect that will hold them accountable. When this type of decision making is repeated thousands of times, we end up with a mess and we pay the price with long term health issues. I think we need to hold corporations and government to a MUCH higher standard of accountability. Like a Hippocratic Oath for corporations and government. Wouldn’t that be refreshing? And do we really believe that the same government and corporations that were spraying chemical weapons, Agent Orange, over huge areas of Vietnam populated by peasant farmers, destroying their livelihoods and ruining their health, would be opposed to using destructive toxins in our own country to make a buck? Do we really want companies like Monsanto and Bechtel controlling our food supply, water supply, and seed banks (while family farmers are marginalized)? After all, there are only so many wars and “enemies” to go around…..

http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsant ... 032102.cfm