Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Re: Christmas 2008
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:

In this sobering moment, glimpse into the heart of what these holidays are all about - love - memories - and the joys we've shared with each other over the decades. These are worth celebrating - a good life is a gift worth more than words can say...

adg

It seems that at times of loss, I like most people, am at a loss for words and never seem to know what to say.
In the spirit of the words of adg above, I'll simply submit the following memories:
Over the last 10-15 years when I ran into to Dennis at a gig or at the church, I was always happy to see him, and he always made me feel he was happy to see me too.
Just a couple of months ago at the fall church gigs, I had a chance to sit around with Dennis and Deb and chat for a while. Dennis seemed as happy as I'd ever seen him.
A habit of mine in years past was to bring some Guinness to Arlo gigs and tailgate a bit with my friends. We always saved a few for Arlo and often handed them off to Dennis to put on the bus.
I remember a 50th birthday party for Dennis with a fried turkey and friends at the church a few years back.
I own a t-shirt, as others do, with a picture of Dennis, Arlo and a big red bus with the caption " Bus Driver Groupie" with the sub-caption " It's a blunderite thing....you wouldn't understand".
I recall some years back after a fall church gig, a dozen or so of us including Dennis went out to a truck stop diner for a late night meal. And while talking to Dennis he told me that someone had given him a large can of black pepper for his birthday. I looked at him with a strange look, and he looked back at me with a wry smile for a while seeing that I didn't understand why someone would give him such a gift. Until I finally looked down at the plate of scrambled eggs in front of him which he was shaking so much pepper on that the eggs were no longer yellow but black. I then understood and we shared a laugh.
At the same meal, Dennis was joking that he was gunna pick up the tab for the dozen or so in attendance, at which point he showed me the credit card he intended to use. An American Express card with the name "Arlo Guthrie" imprinted on it. No, he didn't use the card.......but we had another good laugh.
No, I didn't know him as long or as well or see him as often as many people, But I'm really going to miss the guy. He was one of the people that was always good to see and be around and talk to.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:06 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i'm so saddened to hear of Dennis' passing. My thoughts go out to Deb and his whole family. And I too share the loss that the rest of the close-knit blunder community feels.
I'm also very glad that I happened to run into Dennis after Carnegie, literally at the last minute. We were getting our cars from the garage behind the theater, and he had just gotten into his car to go when he noticed me and Cory standing there. He stopped and waved hello, and so we went over for a quick chat. He always was the most warm and approachable person (even when he was grousing about one thing or another...) And he always delighted in seeing my kids and chatting with them too. They always thought he was the coolest person, arlo's bus driver! So at least we have a recent good memory to take away with us. And I'm glad Larry reminded me of the tailgate party we had for him... it was nice to do something for him for a change.
Now who'll give away my extra tickets??

Hey Dennis, watch out for todd!

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:44 pm

The W!zard

OMG!!! As many others have said... right now I'm at a total loss for words. I have so many wonderful memories of times spent with Dennis. He truly was family and had a heart pure as gold. My heart goes out to Fitzy and all the family Of all the times spent together, I think my favorites were the trips to Epcot and seeing him at the tailgate parties at the church. I just don't know what to say... Blunderland has lost one of it's best...

Attachments:
File comment: Me & Dennis at the church - Oct 8, 2000
dave_dennis_100800.JPG
dave_dennis_100800.JPG [ 19.05 KiB | Viewed 18238 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:50 pm

ArloNetizen

I never met Dennis, but he sounds like he was a great, and caring man. It sounds like such a loss. My heart goes out to everyone who knew him and whose lives he touched.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

It's so sad, prayers and thoughts go out to Deb and all of Dennis's family and friends.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

So sorry to here of the loss. I do recall meeting him I think at the
HD walk..... A terrible loss for all ~~

Andrea Jackson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i am so sorry...fitzy...everyone

arlo, you are right about the the love we have for him...kind hearted fella for sure

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Bob and I are also without adequate words. We hadn't seen much of Dennis in recent years but will always remember his many kindnesses, his friendliness and his sense of fun. He was always easy to be with and any gathering was improved by his being part of it. He'll be missed by everyone who knew him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:44 pm

Such sad news today. I met Dennis years ago thru friend, Sherry. We had some great times. He was so giving and would do anything for anyone. In our hearts forever.
Peace..........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'm so deeply saddened by this; Dennis was a good friend, and my heart goes out to Deb and family.

Dennis was always extremely kind; he'll always have a place in my heart. I'm glad I got to see him at the Carnegie show.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Arlo Fanatic

This is my favorite photo of Dennis. Bob took it in VT one year. I just thought that some others might enjoy it, too.

http://umelt.com/excoboard/deninvt.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:37 pm

ArloNetizen

What a great image to remember Dennis by. I made it my desktop photo immediately. I will always treasure it. Thanks Pat!
pat wrote:
This is my favorite photo of Dennis. Bob took it in VT one year. I just thought that some others might enjoy it, too.

http://umelt.com/excoboard/deninvt.jpg

Last edited by Petie on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Beep Beep.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

OMG, I don't know what to say. How horrible for everyone. What a major loss.

Pat, that's a great picture. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:51 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Well I can't say that I was privileged to have had the chance to get to know Dennis my heart is saddened to have learned that he has passed. My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends and I will have him in my prayers.
-EPR