Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

It was definetly not a flying pig Andrea . :D

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

ADG:

I think the whole thing is UNCONSTITUTIONAL** What do you think?

What does our trusty friend Dr. Tennett say about this?

As long as you don;t fly over the Berkshires Mountains on your HOG
we will be all set.

Ride Carefully! See ya at the HD walk on the 31st I'm making Bugs on a log for all of us to eat ~~

Shalom **

Andrea Jackson
d.b.a. applesauce

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:21 am

Arlo Fanatic

Way back in the "Stoned Age", my high school bio teacher said that one of the origins for pork consumption being a no-no on religious grounds was probably Trichinosis, not the flu (puhleeze!). Nasty little parasitic larvae that can cause all kinds of yukky stuff to happen to you. It's primarily transmitted from eating under cooked pork or other meats, like wild game critters. People getting sick from their grub was probably why we started cooking food in the first place.

From what I understand, viruses can mutate in a matter of hours. So, yeah, it's feasible that it could have mutated to go from one species to another. But, like Will Rogers, I only know what I read ...

Back in the 70s during the first Swine flu scare, we almost had a paranoid, conspiracy-theoried friend of mine convinced that SWINE stood for Secret Weapon Inoculation for National Enslavement. Obey! You must obey!

My pig is just fine, thank you. We don't take her on planes and she sleeps in the guest room. And we don't let her fraternize with the local boys.

Gotta go. Somebody wants to paint my front door. I must obey .... obey!!!! Hey, wait! I don't have a front door, either!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:11 am

Senior ArloNetizen

My frontdoor is in glas , not easy to paint that :D

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:25 am

Arlo Fanatic

The Bay of Pigs was an operation Kennedy inherited but nonetheless favored.

Obama inherited this project.

1. Yes, the Census Bureau launched a large and expensive effort to collect accurate GPS locations of households down to the front door.

2. Yes, existing commercial packages (eg, Google and their suppliers) can do this.

3. No, existing commercial packages could not do this four years ago when most likely some wonk at the Census Bureau began to plan this. It doesn't matter which party had the White House. This is operations procurement thinking. They analyzed it and decided to get the data themselves betting against the capability to acquire the data by the commercial vendors. At this point, they lose because the Google/TeleAtlas maps can do it. It ain't cheap but it is cheaper than mass civil service hiring and it is professional product if it meets specs.

4. No, it isn't a conspiracy in the sense of good guys or bad guys, it is your civil servants at work. The question is what will they do with the data once they have it. At the rate of urban and city change and given the number of layers on the maps, the update rate costs are the killers to civil service operations. They only have one client. Us. IOW, from the inside, the debate isn't nefarious; it's pecuniary. $$$

5. Constitutional claims: IANAL. The guy in charge is.

But, yes, they are doing it. There are lots of users. When we analysed it for public safety a few years ago, the Google maps were accurate down to about three blocks. That's a canyon when you are trying to put fireman on a house fire or GPS locate an accident for automatic routing of vehicles on scene or locate a downed officer.

Most of this is done by the good guys if befuddled. The bad guys had these maps a decade ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Google Earth gets me within a couple of blocks from my house...from there, I have to tweak it to actually zero in. It's accurate to a point...but not totally accurate.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Just saw my doctor today and mentioned the possibility of the H1N1 flu being created in a lab. "Arlo may be right! Wouldn't be the first time," he said.

He also said that three vials of Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis virus went missing from the Army's Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Maryland (bio warfare research facility) and that there may be other virus vials missing. He said that the CIA and/or military and/or government has, in the past, put a "harmless" strain of Ecoli in commercially sold milk to "study" its spread. I recall reading of similar "studies" being done in the NYC subway system and another on the west coast (can't recall if it was the Bay area or San Diego) where harbor fire boats' hoses were used to spray a flu virus into the air. A number of elderly and infirm people were thought to have died as a result of the latter.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:01 am

Arlo Fanatic

Buried in this article:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu_bird_flu

is this:

"But there is in fact discussion of putting them [H1N1--swine flu--and H5N1--bird flu] together — in a high-security laboratory — to see what a combination would look like, according to Webster. Similar tests have been done at the CDC mixing bird flu and seasonal human flu, resulting in a weak product, he said.

Daigle, the CDC spokesman, said the agency wants to look at the question in the future. "

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

@sue:

That is the public system. Higher accuracy datasets are available for a price from Google's suppliers (no, Google doesn't do all the work on its maps). Reverse geocode lookups for addresses are standard for systems we sell.

The trouble is keeping those databases accurate. I don't know if this project for collecting the door fronts has a refresh system for keeping the information current. Without it, the lawyers interested in such proofs will be on dodgy ground.

The Canadian article is 'tin foil hat' to a point. I did ask some people in the business and they assure me it is a real project. It started in the last administration. The White House is overseeing it to prevent its abuse. The real story is the incredible amount of legal vote rigging going on as a result of district gerrymandering. It enables a very high percentage of candidates to be almost invulnerable to challenges.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

They tried extreme gerrymandering here in No. VA, and an area that is usually Republican all voted Democrat in this past election. We threw out a lot of incumbants locally, too...people who had been in their positions for years and thought they were invulnerable.

Gerrymandering doesn't work too well when the population is fed up and totally pissed off at the current administration...which people were under Geo. W.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Whatever. I am on the pandemic response team at work and we are having regular meetings about nothing.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:26 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Goofus wrote:
Whatever. I am on the pandemic response team at work and we are having regular meetings about nothing.
Wow, Gus, you're really making me miss Corporate America. I'll have to ask Jay if we can have daily staff meetings.:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

We call them "safety meetings", and sometimes they are scheduled and sometimes not, depending upon the urgency of the "situation"......

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

My experience is that the vast vast vast majority of meetings are about nothing, no matter the nominal topic. They are just what some people like to do, as a way of making it look like they are doing something.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:55 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I think we should have a meeting so we can discuss this topic at greater length......