Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:47 pm

BlunderVirgin

I must say I agree with what you said. I do want to point out that the Koran actually says to be tolerant of others. So the people you are talking about aren't even practicing the religion they profess to.
I think all the great religions of the world started out with great intentions but sometimes somewhere along the line some evil man has tried to twist it for his own purposes, even when the vast majority of the people are peaceful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:51 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site. It's fun here. Here's an article on Woodyfest I found that I thought folks might enjoy. This probably isn't the right place to post it but I can't find the topic offhand to post it in...

http://newsok.com/at-times-woody-fest-f ... le/3384566

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:01 am

BlunderVirgin

Mahatma Ghandi once said when ask if there was ever a time to fight. He answered "My Philosophy does not include running away and leaving the dear loved ones unprotected". I am sure he did not mean under those circumstances to take up arms, but was saying turning a blind eye to our brother's suffering cannot be allowed. Doing nothing is not pacifism.

Most on this websight may feel that the USA blundered into Iraq where it didn't belong, quite possibly under false pretenses and caused a lot of damage that is difficult to extrcate ourselves from. But for years we watched tens of thousands (until it became millions) of innocent people being murdered and tortured there and did nothing, turned a blind eye to it. If we were wrong to fight, we were even more wrong to ignore the problem till it came to war.

My wife grew up under a dictatorship all her life, in poverty and with risk of imprisonment at the whim of her President. Her people stood up against that dictator with the help of a great woman who recently passed away with little or no mention in the US press. Corazon Aquino showed us the way to defeat tyrants, through dedication, a willingness to place her own life in harm's way (her husband was assassinated for the same goal), and the freedom loving people of the Philippines stood toe to toe with her, until every soldier in Marco's Army turned from the Tyrant and joined the People Power Movement.

Iran is not so easy as the Philippines, but as lovers of both peace and Democracy, I would call on my fellow Americans to pressure our state department into doing more than it does to support the legitimately elected leaders of Iran, who have been put down by the current usurping government. Our policy has gone back to the same one we had for Iraq, out of sight out of mind. It is time we of the Baby boom generation showed the world the words we said at Woodstock weren't just the result of being high on grass.

"Evil flourishes when good men stand by and do nothing"
- Edmund Burke
David Giles