Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

@eileen:

Quote:
Andy Hallett left some awfully big shoes

I didn't realized Andy died. Terribly sad. First Doyle and then Andy. I didn't realize Drusilla is the daughter of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain although I speculated given the name of Juliet Landau.

Sigh... my Buffyverse is too shallow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Yes, Andy's death was really sad; sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Lorne was a very special character.

I keep up with the Buffyverse on Whedonesque.com, which is a little like Arlo.net...on steroids.

I looked at Drusilla the first time I saw her and thought, I know that woman. Who is she? Looked her up and of course realized that I was seeing both of her parents reflected in her.

Here's the really interesting Whedonverse trivia (if you already know this, sorry): What do the following have in common: The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, The Donna Reed Show, Leave it to Beaver, The Dick Cavett Show, The Golden Girls, Benson, Alice, Captain Kangaroo, and The Electric Company?

All written, at one point or another, by Whedons (the first 4 by Joss' grandfather, John, the others by his father, Tom). My father, who knew Tom Whedon briefly earlier in life, pointed this out to me and suddenly it all made sense -- there were some of my shows wayback and I hear subtle echoes in Buffy, Angel, Firefly -- mostly in the humor -- and though the latter reach heights the former don't quite.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:36 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Captain Zap wrote:
I'm pretty certain that nobody knows for certain. And if you claim to be then you're either a liar, a fanatic, self-delusional or any combination of the aforementioned. You want uncertainty? Look at all of the major religions. They can't even agree amongst themselves so, they form their own little branched off sects. As far as I'm concerned, Agnostics are leaving the door open while the ones who claim to know "The Way" are slamming it in the faces of any who don't agree with them.

I dunno about this...first, there are different ways of "knowing". Some knowledge is knowledge of facts (assuming there are any), which I agree we can never be certain about. But there can also be the kind of "knowing" that can't be explained -- there are some things you just know, you know? And (IMHO) that's OK, as long as you don't beat anybody else over the head with it -- which is fairly unlikely anyway when you can't really articulate why you know what you know. I also think it's possible to know what is not true, even if one doesn't know what is true, or even if knowing the truth is impossible.

The trouble really starts when people start arguing about "evidence" -- to reduce a debate about "God" into a question of his/her existence or non-existence misses the boat entirely. So what if there is (or isn't) a God? What does it matter? Those are the kinds of questions that are worth debating, not the so-called facts of its existence (or non-existence).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

Eileen wrote:
I dunno about this...first, there are different ways of "knowing". Some knowledge is knowledge of facts (assuming there are any), which I agree we can never be certain about. But there can also be the kind of "knowing" that can't be explained -- there are some things you just know, you know? And (IMHO) that's OK, as long as you don't beat anybody else over the head with it -- which is fairly unlikely anyway when you can't really articulate why you know what you know. I also think it's possible to know what is not true, even if one doesn't know what is true, or even if knowing the truth is impossible.

The trouble really starts when people start arguing about "evidence" -- to reduce a debate about "God" into a question of his/her existence or non-existence misses the boat entirely. So what if there is (or isn't) a God? What does it matter? Those are the kinds of questions that are worth debating, not the so-called facts of its existence (or non-existence).

There's a big difference between certainty and taking a leap of faith. And the latter outcome would be in the mind of the leaper and no one else's. I still stand by what I said. It's when some of the leapers try pushing others off of the precipice that the trouble starts. I think we're saying the same thing, basically. I think that there's a big difference between "knowing" and feeling, as well. You can be certain (for yourself) of a personal feeling but that would not necessarily translate into collective knowing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:19 am

The Folkslinger

I think we came to the end of this subject :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:40 am

Arlo Fanatic

Your wish is my command.......if I feel like it.
:) So, we will lock it up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:35 pm

The W!zard

Wait, I had one more comment... well, more of an apology I guess...

Sorry all... I don't know what I was thinking... I forgot this place is far from the "no spin zone". In fact, I think I see a tornado on the horizon... :)

Being the W!zard does have it's priviledges, lol! Newts anyone?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.