Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 am

Arlo Fanatic

Good plan. Lots of folks searchin' for the Brain Cell...... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

Larry's been busy posting informative pics and articles of/on Sarah Palin & Michele Blech-mann on Faceborg.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, I think he's pretty much ass-emm-al-ated...I hear he may even lose his front half position...Arnie's movin' up...

Edited to say: "Who's that guy that just ran by in a tutu?"

hehehe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:28 am

BlunderVirgin

So how can a Union Person be a republican?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

Simple answer; you work within the broad party structure for change. I'm a Democrat, but I don't agree with their "party line" on every single issue.

I'm sure there are many R union members, just as there are many D CEO's.

mikey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:29 am

BlunderVirgin

For 30 years I was a member of C.W.A. I am sure when I was injured in 1999 if I wasn't unionized, I would have never received full pay for the 6 months I spent in the hospital, or had a job when I recovered. However, I have protested about our unions being in bed with Washington D.C. When we sell our souls to receive their help, we are little better than slaves to the power and have to do their bidding to keep in graces. What would go a long way in fixing the problem is TERM LIMITS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I understand the unions concern you but are term limits the right means to address your concerns?

Term Limits: often proposed, seldom disposed.

1. How long is too long? At what point does someone become too bought? Influence the unions need usually has to do with comittee assignments. Comittee assignments are not based of necessity on relevant experience. Thus. Michelle Bachmann, a degreed tax lawyer. gets assigned to the Intelligence Oversight Committee.

It is suggested that reform of the procedures and policies for commitee assignments is important to government reform.

2. How long is long enough? The tea partiers are mostly freshmen but they've managed through intimidation to bring us to the edge of economic debacle. The party system is driven by primaries and the people eligible for primariies are selected by the parties, themselves controlled by a handful of activists easily taken over by zealots.

It is suggested that reform of the primary system is important to government reform.

3. Through redrawing of districts, districts are created that demographically guarantee a party win. Dedicating local programming to push buttons in these districts keeps the sheeple in line. This is a very good deal for those who buy the congress persons with campaign donations and other votes because it is economical and the media is guaranteed to cooperate because elections are their Christmas in the form of very legal airtime purchases. Note that after every anti-Republican story CNN plays, the usual folk buy the ads that follow that counter the effect of the story or buildi up a fear reaction to accentuate it.

It is suggested that districting reform is important to government reform. Campaign finance reform is harder because even if the congress goes along, the media will fight it.

In both cases the actual work of government, drafting legislation and administration is largely performed by the professional cadres of unelected civil servants and beltway consultancies. Without a long enough term, the legislators are at the mercy of their processes. The problem of too long a term is the obligations incurred by the cost of the elections become perpetual and to the same interests. some based on the interests of the entity represented (say the state district or region) and others based on the legislative overlaps (eg, regional powers such as the energy industry), and some on global concerns (the payouts from big companies simply to keep the votes in their favor so worthy buying congress members from different underfunded regions).

So how long is long enough to do a good job (acquire expertise and assignments) and how long is too short (ineffective and tends toward one issue one note campaigns)?

Or are term limits a simplistic approach to what is actually a procedural problem that can be solved by other reforms such as redistricting reform, committee assignment reform, and primary reform?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:29 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I would like to see term limits but I know this. I am totally discusted with our elected leaders. As far as I am concerned come elections I am going to be voting them all out and... I will not be voting Republican as I was not impressed with the games that were played for this past debate with the budget. I sense that once again the poor and the middle class will be carrying load of the recovery on their backs... There I have vented. That felt so good... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:10 pm

BlunderVirgin

EPR wrote:
I would like to see term limits but I know this. I am totally discusted with our elected leaders. As far as I am concerned come elections I am going to be voting them all out and... I will not be voting Republican as I was not impressed with the games that were played for this past debate with the budget. I sense that once again the poor and the middle class will be carrying load of the recovery on their backs... There I have vented. That felt so good... :lol:

The best plan is two terms for all offices. This takes away to carrot. Also the established party leaders will change every two terms limiting the time to become corrupt unless they were already corrupt.