Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Re: Back To The Farm
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:37 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I'm also looking for a new guitar but the choice is not easy between the sound, the size and the price... My old Yamaha ( I bought it 40 years ago) is too big for me now :) and the little Tanglewood I have is only for travel. A friend of mine has got a Taylor ( the mini Koa), I've tried it, the sound is very nice!
I would prefer to buy a little guitar ( Martin or Taylor travel guitars are around 500 euros here) but I don't know if it's a good idea. Perhaps the way of playing is different according to the size.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:24 am

The Folkslinger

cecile wrote:
I'm also looking for a new guitar but the choice is not easy between the sound, the size and the price... My old Yamaha ( I bought it 40 years ago) is too big for me now :) and the little Tanglewood I have is only for travel. A friend of mine has got a Taylor ( the mini Koa), I've tried it, the sound is very nice!
I would prefer to buy a little guitar ( Martin or Taylor travel guitars are around 500 euros here) but I don't know if it's a good idea. Perhaps the way of playing is different according to the size.

Yeah… Many guitar companies are making small guitars, called different things, but essentially they’re all for traveling, or sitting around the house. Some are quite nice. I have a Gibson LG-2 3/4 that they gave me after producing a limited quantity of them (just like the one I got when I was 5 years old). None of them compare to their larger siblings, but all are fine for someone who is entertaining themselves. The big plus is that the fretboard and neck are also very small, which makes them very easy to play. I use a small mahogany Martin guitar onstage, and it’s great. I keep it tuned with what they call Nashville tuning (the lower strings are an active higher). It plays like butter. But, Taylor and other companies make something similar. Each company’ guitars are slightly different when comparing sound, and it’s all very subjective - Just depends on what sounds right. Best advise is to try them at a local shop and see if something jumps out for you.

adg

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:49 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Thank you, I will follow your advice and try them in a shop.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:51 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
cecile wrote:

Yeah… Many guitar companies are making small guitars, called different things, but essentially they’re all for traveling, or sitting around the house. Some are quite nice. I have a Gibson LG-2 3/4 that they gave me after producing a limited quantity of them (just like the one I got when I was 5 years old). None of them compare to their larger siblings, but all are fine for someone who is entertaining themselves. The big plus is that the fretboard and neck are also very small, which makes them very easy to play. I use a small mahogany Martin guitar onstage, and it’s great. I keep it tuned with what they call Nashville tuning (the lower strings are an active higher). It plays like butter. But, Taylor and other companies make something similar. Each company’ guitars are slightly different when comparing sound, and it’s all very subjective - Just depends on what sounds right. Best advise is to try them at a local shop and see if something jumps out for you.

adg

My problem is I don’t play well enough to play when I try them, so I hope that the seller can play them for me and I can go by sound and then by feeling it in my hands for the fit. This is something I didn’t do when I bought my first guitar. But then I was just trying to buy something inexpensive to start on, In case I couldn’t teach myself to do it then I wouldn’t have wasted a lot of money. But now I find myself loving the guitar and need a much better instrument. So to the shops I will go searching for a sound and feel that speaks to me. Wish me luck that I can find something I can afford. Lol