Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Finally Back At The Farm
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:28 pm

The Folkslinger

May 17, 2019 - Washington, MA - The Farm

After a couple of fantastic nights in Boston, with Keith Lockhart and The Boston Pops I got back to the dirt roads of forests and fields which is what we call The Farm. We've been here a long time. It's been raining most of the day but looks to be clearing up for a good weekend. Lilacs are late this year and maybe it'll take another week to bloom. Guess it depends on weather. Either way, it's good to be home. I haven't been here since early last December. We do a lot of moving around. Time to decompress and enjoy Spring. I'll check in here from time to time, but mostly I'll do what I do best - Not much.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:15 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
May 17, 2019 - Washington, MA - The Farm

After a couple of fantastic nights in Boston, with Keith Lockhart and The Boston Pops I got back to the dirt roads of forests and fields which is what we call The Farm. We've been here a long time. It's been raining most of the day but looks to be clearing up for a good weekend. Lilacs are late this year and maybe it'll take another week to bloom. Guess it depends on weather. Either way, it's good to be home. I haven't been here since early last December. We do a lot of moving around. Time to decompress and enjoy Spring. I'll check in here from time to time, but mostly I'll do what I do best - Not much.

Have such a great time being home. Hope the lilacs bloom soon for you. Love their color (purple is my favorite color) and their fragrance is heaven. Hope the weather is wonderful and warm for you. We are predicted to have rain here in Northern California. Needing sunshine right now. Glad you had a great time with the Boston Pops.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:26 am

The Folkslinger

Still no lilacs here, but it looks like they're getting ready - a little late this year, but not by much. We're up a little high on the hills, so altitude makes a little difference. Nothing like real mountains, but we're high up for around here. Lots of rain and cloudy days, but yesterday was more like it - Plenty of sunny skies. We're in construction too, rebuilding the old farm house. That's pretty exciting! Hopefully sometime this summer we'll enjoy the old fireplace again - or we'll have to wait until the weather begins to cool off in September. Either way, and whatever happens, it's great to be back on the hill. My kitty was happy to see me again, she's been circling in on me (usually about 3 in the morning), but she's fun. Another day to watch the leaves of the trees begin again. There's even a pair of Baltimore Orioles attempting to break into the house. I don't think I've seen them around here before, so that's fun too! Beautiful birds. Cantina (the kitty) just watches them and uses her imagination. I'm sympathetic.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
Still no lilacs here, but it looks like they're getting ready - a little late this year, but not by much. We're up a little high on the hills, so altitude makes a little difference. Nothing like real mountains, but we're high up for around here. Lots of rain and cloudy days, but yesterday was more like it - Plenty of sunny skies. We're in construction too, rebuilding the old farm house. That's pretty exciting! Hopefully sometime this summer we'll enjoy the old fireplace again - or we'll have to wait until the weather begins to cool off in September. Either way, and whatever happens, it's great to be back on the hill. My kitty was happy to see me again, she's been circling in on me (usually about 3 in the morning), but she's fun. Another day to watch the leaves of the trees begin again. There's even a pair of Baltimore Orioles attempting to break into the house. I don't think I've seen them around here before, so that's fun too! Beautiful birds. Cantina (the kitty) just watches them and uses her imagination. I'm sympathetic.

Does Cantina chitter at the birds? My kitties stare out the window and chitter. I can only imagine what they are thinking. Besides your concrete pond is there any streams or moving water of a natural source on your property? My Dad used to take me fishing in the streams of Bishop when I was small. I loved the smell of the pine, the sound of the babbling water and the filtered sunshine. That’s where I go in my mind when I need a break from reality or just want a moment of calmness in my day. Such a great memory. So healing. I try to get my patients to go somewhere they love when they are in pain or scared. It’s so helpful. Have a great day with Cantina. Hope you don’t have to do any work for a bit. Take a lovely break, drink some great coffee and listen to the world hum. Peace.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:55 pm

ArloNetizen

Hahaha. The REAL you? Are you tryin to regain your youth? That’s so good. Sorry that didn’t work out for you. I tried that once, it was a lot of fun but, that’s hard to do. You can’t unlearn the lessons. I don’t think I want to unlearn anything but I sure wish I could defrag the files in my brain. Hahaha. Wish I could get rid of some old stuff in my brain that seems in-needed but like you said it just occasionally dumps stuff and I have no control over it. Enjoy your time off love.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 am

The Folkslinger

And they're off! Today we head east to the coast for shows in New Bedford, MA, East Derry, NH, and Portland, ME. We have our crew back together, and everyone seems up for the gigs, especially as it looks like it'll be raining at home over the coming weekend. We're gonna be indoors anyway, might as well be playing some music and seeing the sights.

There's about a handful of gigs coming up over the next 2 weeks, and all within range of home. 3 this weekend, then New London, CT and Tarrytown, NY next weekend. After that, the family and I are heading to Brooklyn, NY for the annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade. Brooklyn is also renaming the street where we grew up as Woody Guthrie Way, a nod to our time there and my dads love for the beaches and people of Coney Island. That will all be great fun. I have a few memories from those days, but not much remains. Still, the salt air, the tastes and smells of those days linger just beneath the surface. I'll be meeting up with my brother and sister and all of our kids and grandkids - with some cousins thrown in. Luckily, we're all still around, and we still get along. That makes it extra special.

Meanwhile, now that the deluge skipping across the country has begun to exist into the Atlantic, we'll get back to rebuilding our house. It's been paused for weather related reasons. So we're about 2 weeks behind. I'll get some suitable pix at some point, probably when we get back from the current trek. But, it's time to start packing up the stuff - Not much but you gotta wear something!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:52 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
And they're off! Today we head east to the coast for shows in New Bedford, MA, East Derry, NH, and Portland, ME. We have our crew back together, and everyone seems up for the gigs, especially as it looks like it'll be raining at home over the coming weekend. We're gonna be indoors anyway, might as well be playing some music and seeing the sights.

There's about a handful of gigs coming up over the next 2 weeks, and all within range of home. 3 this weekend, then New London, CT and Tarrytown, NY next weekend. After that, the family and I are heading to Brooklyn, NY for the annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade. Brooklyn is also renaming the street where we grew up as Woody Guthrie Way, a nod to our time there and my dads love for the beaches and people of Coney Island. That will all be great fun. I have a few memories from those days, but not much remains. Still, the salt air, the tastes and smells of those days linger just beneath the surface. I'll be meeting up with my brother and sister and all of our kids and grandkids - with some cousins thrown in. Luckily, we're all still around, and we still get along. That makes it extra special.

Meanwhile, now that the deluge skipping across the country has begun to exist into the Atlantic, we'll get back to rebuilding our house. It's been paused for weather related reasons. So we're about 2 weeks behind. I'll get some suitable pix at some point, probably when we get back from the current trek. But, it's time to start packing up the stuff - Not much but you gotta wear something!

Have a great time. Maybe some more memories will come back when you are there. Spending time with family and friends is what life is about.

Aww clothes, well in the summer the less is best. Too hot in some places. Living in San Francisco makes me miss a little heat. Never much above 70 here and then for only a couple days. Really have to enjoy those couple of days.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

leenski wrote:
adg wrote:

Have a great time. Maybe some more memories will come back when you are there. Spending time with family and friends is what life is about.

Aww clothes, well in the summer the less is best. Too hot in some places. Living in San Francisco makes me miss a little heat. Never much above 70 here and then for only a couple days. Really have to enjoy those couple of days.

It doesn’t get much above 70 in San Francisco? Wow! I did not realize that. It looks like it hovers not too far from that all year? Like in the 50s and 60s? Wow.

I read somewhere that there is no poison ivy in Ireland? What an amazing world!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 am

ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
leenski wrote:
adg wrote:

It doesn’t get much above 70 in San Francisco? Wow! I did not realize that. It looks like it hovers not too far from that all year? Like in the 50s and 60s? Wow.

I read somewhere that there is no poison ivy in Ireland? What an amazing world!

Yup, stays in the 60’s most of the time. Of course like the rest of the country we have had plenty of wet weather. No longer in the drought. You can drive 5 minutes away and the weather can be completely different. Microclimates, they are real. No poison ivy? Lucky them. It is an amazing world. With plenty to see, do and learn. Keep enjoying it. Be well darlin. Hey, comment, I just realized that those comments or quotes on the front page of Arlonet change every time to check in, so when I have said a comment due to the quote you probably have no idea what I’m talking about. Lol. So sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

leenski wrote:
...Hey, comment, I just realized that those comments or quotes on the front page of Arlonet change every time to check in, so when I have said a comment due to the quote you probably have no idea what I’m talking about. Lol. So sorry.

Oh! The “comments” ! Now it makes sense. I was half wondering what in the world you were on about up there. “I guess it is none of my business”, hahaha….

The forest ranger!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:35 pm

ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
leenski wrote:
...Hey, comment, I just realized that those comments or quotes on the front page of Arlonet change every time to check in, so when I have said a comment due to the quote you probably have no idea what I’m talking about. Lol. So sorry.

Oh! The “comments” ! Now it makes sense. I was half wondering what in the world you were on about up there. “I guess it is none of my business”, hahaha….

The forest ranger!

Well at the very least I should keep you entertained with my comments. You know, crazy fans. Hahahaha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:45 am

The Folkslinger

leenski wrote:

It's been quite cool up in the Northeast, rainy and damp. One more show tonight in Portland, ME then home for about a week. Hopefully it'll dry out and warm up. So we're back in Fall clothes at least for the time being. Nothing too skimpy. That's for later when the weather gets hot. At least when it's cool you can keep putting more and more stuff on until you're happily comfortable. But, when it gets too hot, there's only so much you can do before retreating into the AC. We'll see what the future brings next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:17 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
leenski wrote:

It's been quite cool up in the Northeast, rainy and damp. One more show tonight in Portland, ME then home for about a week. Hopefully it'll dry out and warm up. So we're back in Fall clothes at least for the time being. Nothing too skimpy. That's for later when the weather gets hot. At least when it's cool you can keep putting more and more stuff on until you're happily comfortable. But, when it gets too hot, there's only so much you can do before retreating into the AC. We'll see what the future brings next week.

Completely agree regarding the clothing. I always say “you can always put more clothes on, but no one wants to see this body naked in the grocery store” hahahaha. Most homes here in the Bay Area don’t have AC. I just drag a large portable fan around the house. These old homes also don’t have screens so no open windows unless you want lots of bugs in the house. That being said it’s still a pretty nice to live. I won’t retire here though, too many taxes to pay. Not sure where I will end up but somewhere near the ocean or a large body of water. We will see. Have always had a bit of the wonder list in me. In retirement I will be able to fulfill that wanderlust. Have a great day darlin.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:20 pm

The Folkslinger

Yeah indeed. Age has it's good points, but looking appealing isn't one of 'em. Good thing there's lots of younger people around. Makes you laugh a lot. I'll stick with pix of birds or other creatures with a few landscapes thrown in. And stick with my peers for laughter and commentary. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I sometimes wonder if I was born and old soul? And that is not a bad thing.

And I don’t mean Old as counter to Young? But both things simultaneously always