Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Mid-Summer 2023
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:22 pm

The Folkslinger

It's already August 1st - Not only is it Ramblin' Jack Elliott's 92nd birthday, but it also mean we're halfway through summer. It seems like it just began. The last few days and weeks have been more like late spring, with the smoke, fog, rain etc. Maybe summer will encroach upon fall. Not sure but it sure isn't what we were expecting. It's even a little on the cool side today. Had to put on a jacket just to stalk butterflies and other bugs. In August!

It's not like we weren't told that climate change would have some extreme weather, and even though this isn't really extreme - It's close enough for horse-shoes. Friends south of us are enduring extreme heat, other places are extremely dry, or extremely wet - I guess it is kind of extreme.

Here in Western Massachusetts for the past 48 hours, it's been nice! But it used to be nice most of the time, and then we'd get bouts of crazy. Now it's mostly crazy with bouts of nice. I'm making the best of it and hope you are too wherever you are and whatever craziness you have to endure.

Post subject: Re: Mid-Summer 2023
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
It's already August 1st - Not only is it Ramblin' Jack Elliott's 92nd birthday, but it also mean we're halfway through summer. It seems like it just began. The last few days and weeks have been more like late spring, with the smoke, fog, rain etc. Maybe summer will encroach upon fall. Not sure but it sure isn't what we were expecting. It's even a little on the cool side today. Had to put on a jacket just to stalk butterflies and other bugs. In August!

It's not like we weren't told that climate change would have some extreme weather, and even though this isn't really extreme - It's close enough for horse-shoes. Friends south of us are enduring extreme heat, other places are extremely dry, or extremely wet - I guess it is kind of extreme.

Here in Western Massachusetts for the past 48 hours, it's been nice! But it used to be nice most of the time, and then we'd get bouts of crazy. Now it's mostly crazy with bouts of nice. I'm making the best of it and hope you are too wherever you are and whatever craziness you have to endure.

Belated Happy Birthday to Ramblin’ Jack Elliott!
Many blessings

It hasn’t been bad around here the past few days. And I love seeing all the dragonflies flying around like dragons. I will talk with them anytime. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:41 am

BlunderVirgin

adg wrote:
Had to put on a jacket just to stalk butterflies and other bugs. In August!

Stalking butterfiles, smelling flowers... Just goes to show, one can take the hippie out of nature but, you can't take nature out of hippie.

adg wrote:
It's not like we weren't told that climate change would have some extreme weather, and even though this isn't really extreme - It's close enough for horse-shoes.

Converse All-Stars, Red Ball Jets, PF Fliers (run faster and jump higher)? FYI, BTW, climate change is constant.

adg wrote:
whatever craziness you have to endure.

Sideways rain trying to fakeout gravity. I strongly suspect its a conspiracy with the wind.

-- sbzon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:28 pm

Site Admin

Well Arlo,remember where we we 20 yrs ago this week?!?!?! I sure do and I am sure Wyldflower does as well.Chaos made it all the more fun!!.Thanks for that adventure!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:48 pm

The Folkslinger

sparkydon wrote:
Well Arlo,remember where we we 20 yrs ago this week?!?!?! I sure do and I am sure Wyldflower does as well.Chaos made it all the more fun!!.Thanks for that adventure!!

It was today back in 1969 - The 15th of August. We did have a lot of fun! It's never been repeated, although they've often tried. Woodstock 1969! You had to be there (and most everyone was).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:01 pm

Site Admin

haha I thought about that right after posting.Havelock was not as much fun as that.The great power outage made it interesting with not knowing if show would go on and of course finding working atm/s and gas stations anf food along the way.The local store was wiped out.Back to the climate it was a scorcher and they says ac's put a over load on the grid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:32 am

The Folkslinger

sparkydon wrote:
haha I thought about that right after posting.Havelock was not as much fun as that.The great power outage made it interesting with not knowing if show would go on and of course finding working atm/s and gas stations anf food along the way.The local store was wiped out.Back to the climate it was a scorcher and they says ac's put a over load on the grid.

Yeah! Without the AC I don't see how anyone can manage to get through the hot times. If the grid fails in Texas as well as other places - Like Florida, it'd be a complete disaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:25 pm

The Folkslinger

adg wrote:
sparkydon wrote:

Yeah! Without the AC I don't see how anyone can manage to get through the hot times. If the grid fails in Texas as well as other places - Like Florida, it'd be a complete disaster

And another thing! It's getting to be fall and I didn't get enough summer!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:53 pm

Site Admin

adg wrote:
adg wrote:
sparkydon wrote:

And another thing! It's getting to be fall and I didn't get enough summer!

Fully agree with that.July was from warm to hot and many smog/smoke filled days.So far this month has not had a lot of sun ,too much rain and storms.I commented to a friend last night it felt like a October evening as I threw on a jacket.Definately feeling short changed so far.