Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Mid-Fall 2023
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:34 pm

The Folkslinger

So far it's a good year for color in the trees - Except for here. There will be people driving around looking, but there's not that much to see. You gotta go farther in almost every direction. That means we won't need reservations in the local restaurants, so I'm good. We've had some extra warm weather too, although it's likely to change any moment. Don't get me wrong - It's really pretty. Just not spectacular. I'm wondering if leaves fall more at certain times of day. There's nothing about it on the internet, so it's probably too weird to think about. But that's never stopped me.

Post subject: Re: Mid-Fall 2023
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
So far it's a good year for color in the trees - Except for here. There will be people driving around looking, but there's not that much to see. You gotta go farther in almost every direction. That means we won't need reservations in the local restaurants, so I'm good. We've had some extra warm weather too, although it's likely to change any moment. Don't get me wrong - It's really pretty. Just not spectacular. I'm wondering if leaves fall more at certain times of day. There's nothing about it on the internet, so it's probably too weird to think about. But that's never stopped me.

All I know is, there have been people complaining about the wildlife decimating their gardens (We used to have an abundance of garden produce to spread around and we always did. Now, we are amazed to get much of anything for our efforts, for the animals eating it. Why? Well, maybe the animal habitats being decimated has some correlation)? Just sayin’.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Seems a good year for acorns

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:38 pm

BlunderVirgin

adg wrote:

not to be the debby downer here but my very dear friend, the issue is the current climate catastrophe. The excess of carbon in the air mixes in with the leaves natural glorious cycle and causes autumn interruptus.

do not worry. i believe everything is reversible just like your favorite parka.

and, btw, your bio describes you briefly and adds "son of the much beloved Woody Guthrie" which sometimes gets to me. YOU, are beloved. I think it may be too hard for people (like yourself) who have an enormous impact on their culture. I won't go on about it, but just a friendly reminder, YOU are beloved. I thank goodness for youtube, so many live shows (not just yours) with such great spirit and energy.

That's all for now.

The Brooklyn office (twitter: https://twitter.com/BrokeClass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:05 pm

BlunderVirgin

agnes wrote:
adg wrote:

All I know is, there have been people complaining about the wildlife decimating their gardens (We used to have an abundance of garden produce to spread around and we always did. Now, we are amazed to get much of anything for our efforts, for the animals eating it. Why? Well, maybe the animal habitats being decimated has some correlation)? Just sayin’.

I lived on a spiritual commune when I was about 13 and 14. 1974. Findhorn Gardens was a big deal back then - they are in Northeast Scotland (highly recommend visiting if they are still there) and they modeled their agriculture methodology after African agriculture. I just remember one of the house members having a problem with (yes) groundhogs eating the vegetables. Findhorn Gardens visited us and recommended writing love notes to the groundhogs. "Dear Groundhogs, We love you. We planted a whole section just for you. It is across from this section which is for us, if you are okay with that." I swear to God they left our gardens alone and only went to the one for them. No joke.

As far as people being upset with animals who are (by rights) just doing what is right (living), I have no patience. Since this country was founded, 99% of the forests have been developed. That is the actual fact. So imagine how many animals we have displaced or destroyed. When I accidentally brush up with raccoons in Prospect Park, I do not scream. I do not yell. I offer them crackers (they love) and sometimes grapes (they love). I am pro animal all day. every day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

fieldjo@aol.com wrote:
agnes wrote:
adg wrote:

I lived on a spiritual commune when I was about 13 and 14. 1974. Findhorn Gardens was a big deal back then - they are in Northeast Scotland (highly recommend visiting if they are still there) and they modeled their agriculture methodology after African agriculture. I just remember one of the house members having a problem with (yes) groundhogs eating the vegetables. Findhorn Gardens visited us and recommended writing love notes to the groundhogs. "Dear Groundhogs, We love you. We planted a whole section just for you. It is across from this section which is for us, if you are okay with that." I swear to God they left our gardens alone and only went to the one for them. No joke.

As far as people being upset with animals who are (by rights) just doing what is right (living), I have no patience. Since this country was founded, 99% of the forests have been developed. That is the actual fact. So imagine how many animals we have displaced or destroyed. When I accidentally brush up with raccoons in Prospect Park, I do not scream. I do not yell. I offer them crackers (they love) and sometimes grapes (they love). I am pro animal all day. every day.

I love the groundhog story!

And as to forests and stuff, there seems to be some kind of disconnect, in some minds, between us and the planet. Like we are separate or something. I don’t know!

‘possums too. They are entirely underrated. They are so good natured, and fantastic! I am always so happy when I see one (or more) wander around. I will talk to them and tell them how beautiful they are. They will sometimes act like they are not running away, but sometimes they will go up a tree at eye level and hear me out.

As for raccoons, they can be fierce. But I remember opening the back door when there were two juvenile raccoons on the porch and in my excitement, threw the door open and said, “Hi!” and they took off! And I am like, “Hey! No one said you could go anywhere!” Of course I was just messing with them, but they would have none of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:11 pm

BlunderVirgin

adg wrote:
I'm wondering if leaves fall more at certain times of day. There's nothing about it on the internet, so it's probably too weird to think about. But that's never stopped me.

It occurs to me the wind causes more leaf shedding than the clock hour. Regardless of the time of day. The wind, notwithstanding, as the days and nights cool into autumn a tree foregoes its growth cycle (photosynthesis) to support the trunk and branches. That said, the cooler night air may cause more leaf shedding than during daylight/warmer air.

Embrace the weird…

I go full counter culture in 1961. That’s not particularly weird. I guess. To anyone who wasn’t a “straight,” anyhow.

About the only awareness I had of a counter culture and the beat generation was Maynard G. Krebs, played by Bob Denver on the TV show, The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis.

No, the weird thing of it is, in hindsight, is that in 1961 I was in kindergarten. I was just five years old! Counter culture at five years old?

You can’t make this stuff up.

What the heck did I know about culture -- much less counter culture?

As it turned out, credit given to a video I watched the day before, my counter-culture epiphany moment lasted about 30 seconds. That video and a rather robust imagination the following day, it was terrifying.

In hindsight, sixty years later, I realized that in 1961 my mind reconciled that terrifying moment. Probably so that I could get on with my life without having PTSD. Yet, that one moment had a great influence on my life.

My mind was clear. I didn’t even think about talking to anyone about it. Nor had given it more than a passing thought, until 2019. There was no need to revisit it as it had been infused with my essence of being human. It’s been a part of me since 1961.

Seven years latter, when 1968 rolled around, I was well primed, wanting to be a hippy. Part of a counter culture… these are my kinda’ people, I thought.

Just as I vividly remember where I was standing against a wall in 1961 having the epiphany, I remember where I was standing in the summer of 1968 the first time I listened to Alice‘s Restaurant while inspecting the album cover.

A side note: it was the fall of 1970 when I first went to a head shop. It was on a side street in, of all places, Great Barrington – your neck of the woods, Arlo (where does that phrase come from?) I was in my freshman year at The Berkshire Academy. Off route 41, aka, N. Undermountain road, about three miles west of Sheffield. Nestled at the base of Mt. Everett. Great views from the forest ranger/fire lookout tower at the top.

Back on point, watch the video mentioned above -- LET’S FACE IT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPrxsrCyQ3I It’s just 14 minutes. I’ll follow up return with the rest of the story.

With love, peace and compassion – to be continued...