Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

Forum rules

Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Does anyone have them for the keyboard? Went to tablature, but it's not there. Always had a liking for Charlie Chaplin songs ("Smile," etc.), and this one is really does it for me off the "In Times Like These" album.

mikey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:28 am

ArloNetizen

Hey Mikey,

Gorgeous tune. The changes for the verse. This should get you started. I'd give you more, but I don't even know the piece myself, I had to think about it and mess around on the piano after reading your post. In F, or transpose accordingly:

FM7/ dm7/ gm7/ C7/ gm7/ C7/ FM/ Cm7 F7

BbM7/ gm7/ am7/ dm7/ gm7/ C7/ edim.F//

M7=major 7th
m7=minor 7th
7=dominant 7th
dim.=diminished

If you'd like to try it, in the left hand play only the root, seventh and third, in that order, in an open voicing and you'll get a real solid sound. Don't worry about playing the whole chord, it's implied and will be heard. In other words, the roots to all these chords will be played with the pinky, then build the seventh with the index finger, and finish off the left hand chord with the thumb on the third, which in this voicing will actually be an octave and a third. Everyone of these left-hand chords, except the C7 is played in this way. For those, just play the root and 7th. Sound-wise it's not real muddy, but still solid enough and you can simply play out the melody, single notes, with the right hand while you sing it. Keep everything as close as possible when going from chord to chord. Hope this explains enough, if not ask more questions.