Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

Forum rules

Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.

Post subject: Re: Guitarschool
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The autoharp is technically a chorded zither...it has the felted chordbars to mute the stings you do not want ringing instead of using your hands, like on a zither. With electronic tuners, they're not all that difficult to tune. The strings cover three octaves and include sharps and flats.

With a little practice, it's not hard to learn to pick out tunes...the strings are always in the same place and sound the same note.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:52 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Cecile , its never to late to learn guitar . I was 46 when i started to play guitar for the verry first time . Now , 2,5 years later i play along with many songs including some of Arlo . I learnt never musicnotes or scales . I still have much to learn but its much easier now dan it was in earlier days. Now that whe have computers with internet there 's a whole lotta info and lessons within our reach . If you really whant to play an instrument than go for it . :wink: :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

Glad you like the vids. Sues, the autoharp expert. I bet ya'll could play one. I need to finish getting the felts put back on my chordbars. I am so behind in doing stuff like Christmas decorating & decorating has to come first lol.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:00 am

ArloNetizen

Yes, that is what I used to tune it, an electronic tuner.
LOL, if I did not have that I would be lost. It must be quite a chore to tune one by ear.

When I put the new strings on I noticed one of the felt pads had gone into the abyss somewhere.
This may sound crazy, but it worked and the chord play good.

I took one of those dense felt things that are used to put under furniture legs, cut it to size and glued it to the chord bar.

I am not too concerned about it, the instrument is a 15 chord and I am thinking of getting a 21 chord kit to put on it.
I would like to have the extra chords so I don't have to substitute.

Yes, I think will start practicing some picking. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Another great replacement for chord bar felt is 1/4" computer mousepad...I've completely re-felted autoharps with this, and it works very well. It holds up, and does not develop an indented groove where the string touches like wool felt does. I cut it into strips the width of the chord bar with sharp scissors, and then into sections of the appropriate size. I glue them on with silicone glue, fabric side to the chord bar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

guitarman wrote:
Cecile , its never to late to learn guitar ....

Yes Guitarman, you're right.
Actually, I got a banjo two years ago (I've always wanted to have one) and since, I've been learning how to play it with videos on the internet. I think it's easier .... but my guitar is still here. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the info Sue. I'll have to remember that. The felts seem fine. They just came off for some reason & I need toi gleu them back on. I may not get to do it until after the first of the yr & the Christmas stuff is taken down. Got too much going on like decorating etc...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:37 am

ArloNetizen

Thanks also from here Sue. :) I never gave that one a thought. Have to remember it.

It's amazing sometime when you get in a jam (not a jam,jam) a trouble jam, with a bit of imagination how you can get around problems.