Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » All In The Family

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Anybody here planning to go? I am...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I thought about it, but don't think my ears can take the noise level in that place anymore. I don't understand WHY small venues feel thay have to turn the volume up to full blast in a small place. I think my ears rang for three days last time I was there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:55 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I know what you mean. I will say, though, that when I went to see SLGJI last fall there, the sound levels were quite reasonable. I always have earplugs with me, and never had to use them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

They did all new to me stuff there. So I bet they do all new stuff at this gig. It's a shame the sound has to be so loud etc...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i won't be there...i have never been to the iota but i remember seeing it once and thinking, "oh, there is the iota!" a funny name i thought...i can barely remember but it seems like i was in a little town like place? where was i? maybe there was a record store sort of diagonally across the street where i was? seems like there was some new vinyl in the store which was rare cuz everything had gone to CD and...i don't know...could be i am mixing places up, but i have seen the iota somewhere, i am wondering if i am remembering the area rightly...
but anyway, have fun at the show!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

Have fun at the show. Won't get to go as no one to go with me and so far esp with the upcoming snow. I saw them in Richmond and they were great! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:28 am

Senior ArloNetizen

It was a very good show. Everything they did was off their new CD, "Bright Examples," which I really like. Not a lot of talking, but I think they're trying to focus on the newer material. The second band, Vetiver (which plays on BE), also was very good -- I was enjoying them anyway, but they won me over completely when they did Loudon Wainwright's "Swimming Song". Sound was pretty good -- got pretty loud when they strapped on the electric guitars and I did put in my earplugs, but that was partly because I was right up front under the speakers, and there was a couple behind me "chatting" at the top of their lungs (earplugs help a lot with that stuff). After awhile I got tired of standing and went and sat down in their little cafe area -- could still hear fine and didn't need the earplugs. Talked to Sarah Lee for a few minutes about seeing her at Wolf Trap 18 years ago, which was fun (for me at least -- she was gracious).

Agnes, Iota is in Clarendon (Arlington), about 2 blocks from the Metro. The area has somewhat of a small town feel, but I don't know if it's what you're thinking of. They've remodeled significantly in the last couple of years and it has sort of a coffeehouse/loft vibe -- lots of exposed brick, exposed beams...just no tables in the music area.

Anyway...for $15, I can't complain.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:40 am

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, the no-seating in the music area is another reason why I'm not fond of Iota.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

i remember hearing that swimming song! (it is a good one!)

all i know about the iota is that i have seen it :) (the event of seeing it more than anything else)

sounds like a fun time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Actually, now that I think about it...there were 4 tables in the music area this time -- the tall kind, with 2 stools each. There also are not quite so comfortable benches along each side. The problem is that people get there early and squat the few seats that are available. I was able to sit on one of the benches toward the end of the show. Weekday shows are not so bad -- last time SLGJI played there, last fall, it was a Monday and I had no trouble getting a seat. And, when those were gone, because the crowd was pretty small, the staff just started pulling chairs in from the cafe area so everyone could sit. That was nice. Oh, and the food seems much better now than when I first went -- had a really good sandwich last night. Still I really prefer all-sitting venues. We're getting a new one of those later this year downtown when the people who own Clyde's open a nightclub in downtown DC.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

(i just had a look at the menu (iota's) and it does look good!)