Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'll just be brief, cuz I know other people will have stuff to say.

This was the best show yet, and I feel very lucky to have been able to attend.
Thank you very much

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Now that other people have shared their stories, I'd like to share mine. :)

The Lost World Tour was, to put it simply, the best concert I’ve ever been to. I’m certainly not a concert going aficionado, but out of all the concerts that I’ve ever been to it was the very best.

Arlo appeared to be very happy and relaxed. I am not familiar with Bobby Sweet or Jody (I didn’t catch his last name), but they were wonderful back up for Arlo, and really got into playing. Terry A-La-Berry (the drummer) also looked like he was having a great time performing, bobbing his head in time to the music and smiling. Abe was having a great time too, very animated in his performance, really enjoying himself. The Burn’s sisters swayed in time to the music adding lovely harmony to the songs, either playing a tambourine or maraca type instrument. Even though some of the stories Arlo told were the same ones, he added more (or different) information to them, which was delightful.

He played so many songs… I always tell myself I will write down which ones they were, but I never manage to do that. The ones that stick out in my mind are St. James Infirmary, Alabama Bound, Darkest Hour, Motorcycle Song, This Land and a new one he wrote recently. He called it a Hymn, it’s a sort of sad song to me, but good none the less. And ended with My Peace.

Here’s my story. I was slow on the draw to go get my ticket, so I didn’t get a reserve seat. That meant I had to get there early, so I would get a good seat. I got there at the same time the volunteers start arriving and walked up with one who parked near me. She was excited because it was her first time hearing Arlo.

As I stood in line, various band members passed by as we waited. I suppose they may have been checking to see how many people were waiting to get in, or perhaps they were getting dinner.

I got a great seat on the end of a row, always good for a short person! LOL Got to chat with a couple of friends I haven’t seen in some time. It was good to catch up with them. And a fellow I know from work.

At half time I went in the bar area and purchased the 32 cent CD, which I heartily recommend it. I highly doubt you will be disappointed if you get it. Arlo’s merch person is a very nice, patient and helpful young woman. Skilled at dealing with people.

After the show was over Marie Burns was in the hall chatting with a couple of people. I stopped for a minute thinking to say hello, but she was busy and doesn’t know me - at all - so I just moseyed on.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Oh you should've waited on her to finish & talked to her. She's nice. I know you had a great time. Sounds like the one I went to to in Hampton except no My Peace or This Land. I don't think he did those two from what I remember. I forgot to do a set list but Sue did such a good one...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:43 pm

BlunderVirgin

Thanks for sharing your experience, Cheryl...sounds like a special night. I made it to two performances on this tour and it rekindled an old love I once had for this music..and I liked the enthusiasm Arlo and Co. generated from the audiences at both venues with a nice level of participation in the singing of "My Peace" to close out the shows. With all the stuff happening in this complex world, kinda refreshing to reconnect to some simple truths once and a while.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

I would just like to echo the sentiments of everyone about the Lost World Tour. I've been attending Arlo concerts for 35 years (all exceptionally fantastic and memorable).......this latest set of shows have been especially so. Let's face it: Arlo just STAYS at the top of his game, and it just gets better and better. I look forward to many more years of Arlo shows and recorded new material. I think, "It just can't get any better than this", but it always does, and will always continue to......

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:39 am

Arlo Fanatic

Well, maybe next time I'll have a chance to say hello. I'm more of a listener than a talker in person anyway, so starting up a conversation can be problematic! I'm really glad to hear you had a good time Cheryl, there is nothing like a good laugh and a smile.

Welcome to this site Gardell. It's a good place with good people. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

I hope someone filmed the shows and is working on a video.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

ditto on that len.... ntm: I hope the rumor of Pete's B-day bash being aired on PBS is true... that'd be kewl...

Cheryl, an auseome retelling, of a wonderfull nite of music. Seems like instant kharma fills the air,, when these type of events happen...

Tx for posting / Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

@rob:

As much as I'd enjoy Pete's Bash, that could be a bit maundy. There is nothing wrong with a good foot washing but I want to see Arlo with the band and the Burns Sistas. I may be able to get to the concert in B-ham with the orchestra by inveigling the wife that it is outdoors and I can wear a surgical mask, but alas, the tour is over and Myrtle Beach was announced a little too late. Maybe they'll do something again. Ya never know.

Anywho, I hope the Troubadour at the Guthrie Center is as good as I think it will be for them that gets to go. If all goes well here, I may try for a vacation trip to the center in the fall. Like a shuttle launch, I hear such scheduling is a bit risky but what the hell. The only time I've seen the 'slinger live was in 1985/86 in Santa Barbara with John Sebastian and David Bromberg. Bromberg was excellent. Sebastian a bit snooty when Bromberg was on stage with he and Arlo. Arlo was doing the revised Alice and every bit as good as I hoped he would be. It was my pre-marriage/getawayforonelastsin trip mixed with a wedding gig I played on the Queen Mary before the trek to SB. Good times.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

The Pete birthday bash definitely was taped for TV, because I went and there were signs up all over saying that it was being taped for TV and "warning" people they might be filmed (like, right, I'm going to leave and go back to DC then because I don't want to be filmed...). I expect there will be a DVD, too, because what self-respecting fundraiser wouldn't want to be able to sell a DVD (and how would PBS air it without a DVD to hawk?). It was also really enjoyable and much less worshipful than I'd feared -- it was like a bunch of good friends getting together and having a good time. I was sort of hoping someone -- say Arlo -- might tell a funny story about Pete, like the one from the Denmark festival that precedes the Elvis folk song or the one about the red MG, but that didn't happen. It was still a great show though and worth watching when it makes it to PBS.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see a Folkslinger PBS special, too. The Lost World Tour was great, and as someone else said, it just seems like he gets better and better. Arlo's one of the few performers I've seen who never seems like he's "going through the motions" during the shows, and like many of you, I've been going to shows for over 30 years. (The only ADG concert that ever disappointed me was a show he did at Wolf Trap, many years ago now, on a double bill with Art Garfunkel. Arlo's piece was fine; it was just too short -- he was treated as an opening act -- and the other AG appeared to be an egotistical prima donna (or do I mean primus donnus?). It's one of the few concerts I've ever come close to walking out of.)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Sounds like neat shows ya'll saw. I remember the Wolftrap show but wasn't able to go to it. We ahd planned to go to it & got tix. Mike decided lets go visit his late sister in Columbus, OH for a week around Memorial day even tho we were gonna go visit her for 2 weeks in the summer. He had been having vision problems so he went to her eye dr while up there. They found out he was legally blind due to undiagnosed diabetes and he had diabetes & had no idea he had it. They wouldn't let him go on back home yet until he was regulated enough for them to let us go back home. I had hoped we could come back home for a few days to go to the show but the drs wouldn't let him so we had to miss. We still got to go to the Ashland, KY show of Arlo's that we had planned to go to on our summer trip to visit his sister. We ended staying in Columbus almost 6 months. Thank God we had family. Sounds like Art Garfunkel wasn't much to miss and it was only worth it for Arlo...