Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:28 pm

BlunderVirgin

Wickenburg, small cowboy town 60 miles nw of Phoenix. The Del Webb Performing Arts Center is on the campus of the Wickenburg High School. I teach at WHS. I was leaving school yesterday about 3:40 when I noticed two humungous buses at the Webb Center. I stopped, got out, and walked around the back of the buses. People were busy unloading equipment, and Arlo walked into the Center's side stage door. What the heck. I followed. I went back stage and sat around while Johnny and Sarah Lee, Abe, Mo and others all did sound checks with different instruments that they would be playing in concert last night. Arlo came on stage and started tuning his five or six guitars, and I just had to say hello to him. I was only 20 feet away, so I walked on to the middle of the stage. "Arlo, my name's Rick Burd and it's a delight to meet you. You brought me a lot of laughs and tears as I was growing up." (I'm only three years younger than he.) Arlo was very cordial, kind, and soft spoken. The years have seemingly been good to him. I stayed off stage for about an hour and a half. I listened to Arlo and the band practice until about 5:15. I got to speak to Jackie, Arlo's wife of 41 years and a delightful woman who could not possibly be more proud of her family. Shortly before I left, a sound man came by doing some checking on stage. He saw me in the shadows sitting on a stool and asked me if I was waiting for the band to finish. I told him I was. Then he asked if I was the piano tuner. I laughed and said, "No. I'm just a groupie."
About two hours later, my wife Cathy and I returned to a sold-out performance. Cathy thought she was going to hear a high-school musical, which we've done a number of times before. Unlike me, she had not grown up listening to Woody, Arlo, Seeger, et al, so she seemed rather disappointed that she was attending an Arlo Guthrie concert. She was anything but disappointed when we left after the show. Great music, great show. Beautiful family. Woody would be so proud. Arlo, thanks for the 43 years of fantastic music.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you had a great time. He really puts on a good show...