Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:27 am

BlunderVirgin

A great mix of stories and classic songs made Arlo's show in Tacoma last night an absolute enjoyable pleasure. He gave us a virtual folk music history with songs and stories about his dad and his dad's friends like Leadbelly, Pete Seeger and Rambliin' Jack Elliot. He also sang plenty of his own classic songs like Highway in the Wind, The Motorcycle (Pickle), Darkest Hour, and When a Soldier Makes it Home. A wonderful Leadbelly story was followed by a great version of Leadbelly's Alabama Bound. Mostly, Arlo's great wit, charm and storytelling, as always, makes his shows a must see and a great evening of fun and entertainment and tonight was a fine example. During his dad;s classic This Land is Your Land he interrupted to tell how, as a child, he learned the chords to the song from his dad and learned the "missing verses" not in the official schoolbook version, one of which he sang. Anyone familiar with the history of that song knows it was written as kind of an angry reply to God Bless America and the missing verses which I have seen Arlo and Pete Seeger sing over the years point that out. Also amazing how his dad's songs are still relevant decades after he wrote them as Arlo told us last night prior to singing Deportee. A great story about his wife at the airport was followed by his classic tune Coming in to Los Angeles. City of New Orleans sounds better each time you hear it, the mark of a true classic song. He sang one song that his dad wrote that moved me to tears and have never heard him or anyone sing before, called, My Mother's Voice. I hope he records it on a CD live or otherwise. The 2 hour show ended with a song that his dad wrote in the late 50's that was just some words on a sheet of paper that Arlo put to music several years ago called My Peace, absolutely beautiful song with a simple but still relevant message. He even sang a brief bit of Alice's Restaurant, as he said, to help him remember it for 2015, the 50th anniversary of the events described in the song. His show is a definite must see when it comes to your city or town. Thank You Arlo for a great evening!!.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site. Thanks for your show review. Sounds like fun! Glad you had a good time! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:38 am

BlunderVirgin

It was a very good time. Just what I needed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:20 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site.