Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:22 pm

BlunderVirgin

I was graced with nice front row seats to see Arlo for maybe my 30th show tonight, just an easy 10 minute drive from my St. Catharines, Ontario home. He performed alone, just our favorite "folkslinger" with four guitars and a piano alongside, and he opening with Oklahoma Hills followed by Pretty Boy Floyd. There were plenty of nice recollections of Woody and of Arlo's mom throughout the evening before a pretty appreciative crowd, and he closed the first set with a funny Jackie story and then an old favorite, Coming into Los Angeles. The second set opened with Do-Re-Mi and rolled through some original material and some Leadbelly sprinkled around more of Woody and plenty of story-telling. He closed the set with This Land, at times Canadianized ("From Bonavista to Vancouver Island") to help give the global impact of this great standard. The encore featured a couple of lovely songs, Highway in the Wind and My Peace, perhaps all the more poignant coming from this gentle soul at times like these. What a wonderful evening. Godspeed in all your travels Arlo, and God Bless.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great and inspirational time. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:49 am

BlunderVirgin

Thanks for the review. Gonna see Arlo in Redwing, MN.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:36 pm

BlunderVirgin

gregspouse wrote:
Thanks for the review. Gonna see Arlo in Redwing, MN.

I promise you'll enjoy the show in Redwing.

This was the 3rd time I've seen Arlo play here in St. Catharines...four years ago (almost to the day) at the same venue, and then way back in 1976 at the gym at Brock University when he was touring with Shenandoah. I'm amazed at how much stronger his live performances have grown with the passage of time, and also the near continual pace of the touring that he can maintain these days.