Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

A great time was had by all. Loved the special effects. I did tape the show on my mp3 player. Unfortunately it cutt off during 2 songs which means I didn't get all of those 2 songs. One of those was Alices and I did video tape part of it. Hopefully that fills the gap there. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:19 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo Show/Trip Report:

Had so much fun at Arlo’s Hampton, VA shows. After Mike passed, I can’t travel all over VA to see Arlo like I used to cuz there is no one to go with me anymore now that Mikes passed. I do get to see him locally and whenever he comes to Hampton, VA. When he comes to Hampton, VA my mom goes with me and stays in the motel room resting. We were supposed to go Mon on the trip so we could go to the knitting store in Yorktown and have plenty of time for that and rest up before the shows. It talked like it's gonna rain Mon so we decided to go on Sun after church. We wouldn't be able to make it to the shop Sun even tho it was open for a special sale tho cuz by the time church was over and we've stopped to eat out in Smithfield, it would be too late to stop by the shop. And if we did stop by there on the way Sun by the time we were thru there and going to the Roses Dept store in Yorktown, it would get dark and we didn't want to travel to Hampton in the dark. I was a crocheter since the 60’s and never could catch onto knitting but after Mike passed in 2009, I became a knitter in Aug 2010. At one of the Arlo shows, I was knitting before the show and lady came up to me and commented on my knitting and got to talking to me and said she ran the knitting store on Yorktown, VA. I told her I had heard of it and wanted to go there but hadn’t had a chance yet. She loves Arlo too. I now go to the knitting store whenever I go see Arlo in Hampton, VA since it’s just a town over.

So we left Sun after church to go, At the Roses Dept store in Smithfield for $3.18 I got a pocketbook and 2 hair clips that look like a rose. Wish I could get deals like that every day. Taste of Smithfield was a good place to eat at. We didn’t stay at the motel we’d been staying at cuz my mom suggested find anther one. So I looked online and found an extended stay one which was nice. I got the handicapped room so my mom would have the high toilet and grab bars due to her sciatica and back and knee problems. Our room wouldn’t be ready for an hr due to it having to be cleaned so the manager said that due to that she could get me another handicapped room and since it didn’t have 2 beds let us have the connecting room next to it with it for no extra charge. She showed me the room but I told her I was afraid of my mom & I slipping in the tub cuz it was a sunken down one. So she said if we didn’t mind waiting an hr she could give us our room at a reduced rate. Good deal and I didn’t mind so we got that. The rooms were nice with 2 beds and a couch in it which most rooms don’t have. Much roomier room than the hotel we’d been staying at in the past. And there was an indoor pool and hot tub that I went in on Sun and Mon nites. Didn’t get to go in there the nites of the shows cuz it closed at 11 pm. The staff there were great and so was the breakfast buffet. The bad thing is the cable tv wasn’t be good at all and didn’t have the channels that play the old shows like ME-TV and Antenna TV. It’s that way at a lot of hotel cuz the old tv shows channels are usually in the higher up channels that the tv’s don’t get. Sigh.

Mon we went to the embroidery store in Newport News that sells knitting stuff. I now have 2 hats to knit in addition to my millions of crocheting and knitting projects. I also hit the Roses Dept store, Cato and It’s Fashion Clothing stores in Hampton. We ate at Joes Crab Shack as they aren’t in our area and I’d always wanted to try one out. They were good. They had up on the wall a cardboard cutout of Dubya. I thought that was funny. Tues and Wed we ate at Tommy’s restaurant. On trips I love to eat at neat places they don’t have at home. It’s fun. My mom rested in the motel room while I was at the shows. She did all the driving except for me driving to the shows as it makes me nervous to drive her. Stems from when I was a teenager. LOL.

Tues and Wed were Arlo’s shows. While knitting when waiting on the show to start and the theatre to open up, some fellow knitters ran across me. Cool! I think one of them had on something they had knitted. One of them recognized me from previous yrs shows. Sherri the lady who runs the knitting store in Yorktown, VA and her hubby couldn’t go cuz tix sold out so bad. They could only get one ticket. So their song Troy represented the family. They sure raised him right.

Great shows both nites. He did all his hits including Alice’s Restaurant. They had a nice multimedia show behind him. He told some stories I hadn’t heard before and a new twist on some old stories, Loved the tribute to his late wife Jackie. It really got to me cuz of my Mike having passed in March 2009. I think both nites were almost the same. He did Alice’s after the intermission. I forgot to bring something to write a set list on. I did tape the shows both nites with my mp3 player, I may not have gotten parts of a coupla songs cuz of the mp3’s button not activating when I pressed it and I didn’t catch it right off. I got some of the best pics I have ever taken at a show. Terry Ala Berry on drums, Arlo’s son Abe on keyboards and Bobby Sweet on guitar and fiddle. Great job by all. How Arlo remembers all that I dunno.

Poor Arlo didn’t get to come out and see anyone as he had a cold. Hope he’s feeling better.

There is a rumor going around they may not have Arlo back next yr. Bad form. He sells well for them. I talked to the director asking him to bring Arlo back. I think he was clueless as to how well Arlo does for them being new and the board of directors there is probably controlling what he does. So we need folks to write the American Theatre in Hampton, VA and ask them to bring him back.

Thurs on the way back home we went to the knitting shop In Yorktown, VA. Nice time talking with Sherri about knitting and Arlo. Another lady was in there and she had went to the shows too. She remembered me from past shows there and went to see him every time he was there. So it was kind of a mini Arlo fan get together. And I bought some nice yarn and crochet hooks. Went to the Roses Dept store in Yorktown and had to wait in line forever. There were only 2 of the checkout stands open. Clerks running around and yet they did not open other checkout stands. Not amused. My mom comes in to tell me that we better hurry cuz it looked like snow. I told her it had just gotten to where 1 person was ahead of me. I picked a Pops diner that I had eaten at before in Yorktown as where to eat cuz when looking up on the internet for place to eat there that they don’t have at home, I came across that place and remembered eating there and liking it and it was listed as being close to Roses Dept store so there we went. I had a chuckwagon steak which you don’t seem on menu’s much these days.

We saw my directions I had printed out off the internet, I saw they were not the directions I normally used. And my gps will tell you to turn on every road that us not the right one. Yikes. You think it would do better as it is a Garmin. So my mom went the wrong way and had to ask at Ft Eustis how to go. Between what we remembered and the gps, we went thru an area of Williamsburg that we hadn’t been to in yrs and it wasn’t the Colonial area either. It started snowing on us pretty good. We found I-65 and my mom took it., My mom is almost 85 and she handled it so well. Snowed until we got somewhere past Colonial Downs or Charles City County. But we made it home just fine, At home no snow. Amazing the difference and hr and ½ to 2 hrs makes. A great time was had and we can’t wait for the next show! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:26 am

ArloNetizen

Cheryl Harrell wrote:
Arlo Show/Trip Report:

Had so much fun at Arlo’s Hampton, VA shows. After Mike passed, I can’t travel all over VA to see Arlo like I used to cuz there is no one to go with me anymore now that Mikes passed. I do get to see him locally and whenever he comes to Hampton, VA. When he comes to Hampton, VA my mom goes with me and stays in the motel room resting. We were supposed to go Mon on the trip so we could go to the knitting store in Yorktown and have plenty of time for that and rest up before the shows. It talked like it's gonna rain Mon so we decided to go on Sun after church. We wouldn't be able to make it to the shop Sun even tho it was open for a special sale tho cuz by the time church was over and we've stopped to eat out in Smithfield, it would be too late to stop by the shop. And if we did stop by there on the way Sun by the time we were thru there and going to the Roses Dept store in Yorktown, it would get dark and we didn't want to travel to Hampton in the dark. I was a crocheter since the 60’s and never could catch onto knitting but after Mike passed in 2009, I became a knitter in Aug 2010. At one of the Arlo shows, I was knitting before the show and lady came up to me and commented on my knitting and got to talking to me and said she ran the knitting store on Yorktown, VA. I told her I had heard of it and wanted to go there but hadn’t had a chance yet. She loves Arlo too. I now go to the knitting store whenever I go see Arlo in Hampton, VA since it’s just a town over.

So we left Sun after church to go, At the Roses Dept store in Smithfield for $3.18 I got a pocketbook and 2 hair clips that look like a rose. Wish I could get deals like that every day. Taste of Smithfield was a good place to eat at. We didn’t stay at the motel we’d been staying at cuz my mom suggested find anther one. So I looked online and found an extended stay one which was nice. I got the handicapped room so my mom would have the high toilet and grab bars due to her sciatica and back and knee problems. Our room wouldn’t be ready for an hr due to it having to be cleaned so the manager said that due to that she could get me another handicapped room and since it didn’t have 2 beds let us have the connecting room next to it with it for no extra charge. She showed me the room but I told her I was afraid of my mom & I slipping in the tub cuz it was a sunken down one. So she said if we didn’t mind waiting an hr she could give us our room at a reduced rate. Good deal and I didn’t mind so we got that. The rooms were nice with 2 beds and a couch in it which most rooms don’t have. Much roomier room than the hotel we’d been staying at in the past. And there was an indoor pool and hot tub that I went in on Sun and Mon nites. Didn’t get to go in there the nites of the shows cuz it closed at 11 pm. The staff there were great and so was the breakfast buffet. The bad thing is the cable tv wasn’t be good at all and didn’t have the channels that play the old shows like ME-TV and Antenna TV. It’s that way at a lot of hotel cuz the old tv shows channels are usually in the higher up channels that the tv’s don’t get. Sigh.

Mon we went to the embroidery store in Newport News that sells knitting stuff. I now have 2 hats to knit in addition to my millions of crocheting and knitting projects. I also hit the Roses Dept store, Cato and It’s Fashion Clothing stores in Hampton. We ate at Joes Crab Shack as they aren’t in our area and I’d always wanted to try one out. They were good. They had up on the wall a cardboard cutout of Dubya. I thought that was funny. Tues and Wed we ate at Tommy’s restaurant. On trips I love to eat at neat places they don’t have at home. It’s fun. My mom rested in the motel room while I was at the shows. She did all the driving except for me driving to the shows as it makes me nervous to drive her. Stems from when I was a teenager. LOL.

Tues and Wed were Arlo’s shows. While knitting when waiting on the show to start and the theatre to open up, some fellow knitters ran across me. Cool! I think one of them had on something they had knitted. One of them recognized me from previous yrs shows. Sherri the lady who runs the knitting store in Yorktown, VA and her hubby couldn’t go cuz tix sold out so bad. They could only get one ticket. So their song Troy represented the family. They sure raised him right.

Great shows both nites. He did all his hits including Alice’s Restaurant. They had a nice multimedia show behind him. He told some stories I hadn’t heard before and a new twist on some old stories, Loved the tribute to his late wife Jackie. It really got to me cuz of my Mike having passed in March 2009. I think both nites were almost the same. He did Alice’s after the intermission. I forgot to bring something to write a set list on. I did tape the shows both nites with my mp3 player, I may not have gotten parts of a coupla songs cuz of the mp3’s button not activating when I pressed it and I didn’t catch it right off. I got some of the best pics I have ever taken at a show. Terry Ala Berry on drums, Arlo’s son Abe on keyboards and Bobby Sweet on guitar and fiddle. Great job by all. How Arlo remembers all that I dunno.

Poor Arlo didn’t get to come out and see anyone as he had a cold. Hope he’s feeling better.

There is a rumor going around they may not have Arlo back next yr. Bad form. He sells well for them. I talked to the director asking him to bring Arlo back. I think he was clueless as to how well Arlo does for them being new and the board of directors there is probably controlling what he does. So we need folks to write the American Theatre in Hampton, VA and ask them to bring him back.

Thurs on the way back home we went to the knitting shop In Yorktown, VA. Nice time talking with Sherri about knitting and Arlo. Another lady was in there and she had went to the shows too. She remembered me from past shows there and went to see him every time he was there. So it was kind of a mini Arlo fan get together. And I bought some nice yarn and crochet hooks. Went to the Roses Dept store in Yorktown and had to wait in line forever. There were only 2 of the checkout stands open. Clerks running around and yet they did not open other checkout stands. Not amused. My mom comes in to tell me that we better hurry cuz it looked like snow. I told her it had just gotten to where 1 person was ahead of me. I picked a Pops diner that I had eaten at before in Yorktown as where to eat cuz when looking up on the internet for place to eat there that they don’t have at home, I came across that place and remembered eating there and liking it and it was listed as being close to Roses Dept store so there we went. I had a chuckwagon steak which you don’t seem on menu’s much these days.

We saw my directions I had printed out off the internet, I saw they were not the directions I normally used. And my gps will tell you to turn on every road that us not the right one. Yikes. You think it would do better as it is a Garmin. So my mom went the wrong way and had to ask at Ft Eustis how to go. Between what we remembered and the gps, we went thru an area of Williamsburg that we hadn’t been to in yrs and it wasn’t the Colonial area either. It started snowing on us pretty good. We found I-65 and my mom took it., My mom is almost 85 and she handled it so well. Snowed until we got somewhere past Colonial Downs or Charles City County. But we made it home just fine, At home no snow. Amazing the difference and hr and ½ to 2 hrs makes. A great time was had and we can’t wait for the next show! :)

Glad to hear that you had such a great time. More wonderful memories to keep.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks! How he did songs in the show are still running around in my head and not the versions that are on records. :)