Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: Carnegie
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 1:56 pm

BlunderVirgin

It was great to see everyone, although, as usual at Carnegie, I didn't get to talk to anyone much at all. Hope all had a great Thanksgiving. Isn't it great to end/share the celebration with another wonderful Arlo (Abe, Sarah, and Tao) concert!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 2:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It really was wonderful, Caryn, and it was great to see you, however briefly. It was also really special to have Tao there, even though Pete wasn't performing. To have that carried on with the next generation of both families is a wonderful thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 2:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Now that I've had a cup of tea, and am a bit more awake, I want to say how wonderful it was to meet Hank for the first time, and to see so many friends. It really was a family reunion. Sherry looked gorgeous in her velvet suit, and Tao reprised his version of a sea chanty at her request.
Thanks so much to Deb and Mark for the hospitality..again.:)
It's been great to get to spend time with Dave and Kim at the last few shows..something we hadn't managed too often in the past. They got whisked away to the bus to see computer stuff and things, but before that we had a nice long visit and we did catch up to say good-bye. Kim, the moose made it home safe and have home here on the computer desk. Thank you so much for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 5:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

yes... quite a nice show!!! Thanks to Arlo and Abe and Sarah and Tao!!!!! Good to say hi to all my friends (hey Caryn!!!! I waved but I don't think you saw me!!!! LOL!!!!!)

A special thank you to Dennis. He took my extra tickets and found the perfect couple to give them to!!! A mother and her young kid who had never been to an arlo show before!!!!! They were quite surprised at the seats they ended up with!!!! I was very happy to see the seats get such good use! Nice job Dennis!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 6:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Oh yeah... sorry we couldn't hang after the show... made a hasty retreat it seems... we had a family function early this morning that turned into a disaster... I'll post the story on the blunderboard later this week...

here's my only question... didn't the concert seem to end too soon???? LOL!!!!! I mean... it appeared that arlo had full control of when to stop, since after Goodnite Irene, they all kinda turned to arlo, and I could hear abe say "that's it?", as if he expected to possibly continue... was arlo worried about running too late himself... or were we not enthusiastic enough for another encore???? I just kinda figured he might push on a little more... but then again, no arlo show goes on too long for me (unless it's that Alice's marathon show!!!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 6:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Arnie, I think that at Carnegie there is a certain time it's over, or it's overtime for everyone working in the place. The people clearing out the auditorium clearly felt we were leaving none too soon. Then, they have to give people time to finish up at the Get Stuff table, which takes quite a while at Carnegie what with the size of the place. It doesn't seem so awfully abrupt when you hang around for a couple of hours after the show is over. And we pooped out early at that..the rest of the party was headed downtown last we saw them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 8:11 pm

what everyone else has said.. carnegie was wonderful, once again! arnie...i wondered what had happened to you after the show. sorry you had to leave and we didn't get to spend more time with you...sorry to hear you had a disaster this morning, as well. hope all is okay now. very cool about the tickets. :) hank...great to finally meet you!! pat...you're more than welcome. i keep telling you mark and i don't know how to sleep in a hotel room if you're not there. ;)

thanks to arlo, abe, sarah and tao...along with all the wonderful friends ( you know who you are. :) ) for making another holiday weekend more wonderful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 9:40 pm

A few notes on the Carnegie show... I was very happy to put faces to some of the names of the people who I've traded tapes, e-mailed or have BlunderChatted with during the past few years... Pat, Deb & Mark, Arnie, John C and Sherry... Wish I had the time to talk more with you folks but I arrived at Carnegie just 10m before showtime... Oh, well... Call it intuition, but somehow I think our paths will cross again! After the amazing '98 shows featuring the blessed, teary eyed return of Pete Seeger to Carnegie, I guess '99 was destined to be somewhat of a more sedate affair and, in own humble opinion, it was to some degree. I agree with Arnie, the concert seemed somewhat abbreviated this year... By 11 P.M. I was already out of the State of New York and having a nightcap with a friend in New Jersey! Perhaps Arlo's mentioned flight to South Africa was on a Red-Eye, for the show had a somewhat hurried, workman-like quality to it... I really enjoyed the first set, "Oklahoma Hills" is always a welcome set list addition as was "Hobo's Lullaby" and (suprise!) "Guabi, Guabi..." Sarah's rendition of the Hoyt Axton song was also quite beautiful... With Tao's appearance following the intermission, Arlo seemed content to sit back and jam with the "new" kids, backing up Tao's 12-String Guitar with some very tasty and subtle six string fretwork, or backing Sarah with mouth harp and guitar. One nice thing about Arlo playing again with others is that we can hear an airing out of his considerable and fine acoustic guitar talents... I'm sure that I wasn't the only fan to be suprised to hear "Amazing Grace" after "City Of New Orleans..." I really wasn't expecting to hear Arlo's signature farewell song so soon in the programme... The encores were both rather perfunctory as well and I was very suprised to see the house lights go up so quickly... In any event, the show was (as always) a welcome kick-off to the holiday season. While this year's gig probably won't stand as long in my memory as past performances most certainly have, Carnegie '99 certainly had it's moments... And as Jerry Jeff Walker said to Ramblin' Jack Elliott sometime you just have to "remember the moments..."

[This message has been edited by Hank (edited November 28, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hank (edited November 28, 1999).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 10:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yep, Sherry, Hank & Dave are all nice folks! She wore a new outfit to Carnagie? Wow, at DE she had on jeans I think. Maybe RottenDan convinced her to wear something more formal to match Arlo's tux! :) Mo one has said what Arlo did after the show! I've hung around & watched those GET STUFF folks take down their stuff. They're the only record company I know where they can get folks to volunteer to help them out free of charge & thanks for helping them out folks!

I bet Arnie left early cuz he didn't want to be seen around a known litterbug! ;) The relatives would've understood if he slept over the next morning. But I think you all had a great time! Now I need the fahsion reports & other blunderite/Arlo reports! Next yr I need to sneak into someones suitcase so I can go! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 1999 9:47 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

cheryl...just so you know...i dont wear jeans to symphony gigs...but i have worn jeans to carnegie in the past! :)

i know i am late in posting to this thread..but i agree..the show seemed to end abruptly..i think it finally ended ON TIME instead of going over..and that is why it felt so short! :)

but it sure was a great nite! and pat..thanks for the lovely compliment! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 1999 3:21 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo never wears jeans to Symphony shows. I've never worn any to a Symphony show yet. A group of folks will have to wear Tuxes with tails to match Arlo! LOL! At the outdoor Symphony shows he doesn't wear his tux with the tails. Instead he wears his black suit. He looks soooo nice! :)

The shows never seem long enough. He could sing for 5 hrs. & it probably would seem like not enough time. Wish I could've been at Carnagie. I believe he needs to move that gig down to VA so us folks who are too far from NYC can go! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 1999 3:43 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'm planning on getting dressed up for the Symphony show here. That's largely because I had to buy something for the holiday party that my company throws and this will be another place to wear it.
Arlo doesn't wear jeans to the Symphony shows because symphonies are very hidebound about these things.It doesn't even have to be a symphony. My son had a tux handy from junior high on, just for being in the school orchestra. His wardrobe at that time was mostly heavy metal t-shirts, sweats and a tux.
Arlo has worn jeans to Carnegie, though. Maybe not in the last couple of years..not sure..but he has.

[This message has been edited by pat (edited December 09, 1999).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 1999 4:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Fortunately I never have to go much of anywhere where I gotta dress up except for Sunday morning church. You can wear what you want there even pants if you wanted to. For Sunday morning church, I just generally dress like the rest of the crowd. (That's the only time I wear Sunday go to meeting clothes. LOL!) For the Symphony shows I wanted to dress fancier to match Arlo's tux but hate wearing conservatiuve Sunday go to meeting clothes. I found out Mini-skirts, trendy style dresses, ethnic looking skirts from India, & flarelegged pants like they had in the 60's & 70's were perfect for the Symphony shows cuz they allowed me to look dressier without looking too conservative or Sunday go to meeting. LOL! I plan to wear to the Baltimore Symphony these purple bellbottom pants made of a dressey type material with my purple velvet jacket & this ruffley tuxedo type shirt. Should look pretty cool. I don't generally buy special outfits to wear to any events. I buy my clothes when I see something I like at a deal. I see it & I gotta have it LOL! If he does enough of the Symphony shows within driving range of me I'll get to try out some of my velvet pants there. :)

Wow, I didn't realize the Symphony was funny about jeans being worn there. I guess it's their protocol. Fortunately Arlo loves to dress up. :) He looks so handsome in that black suit he has & also his tux. :) He told me once he loves to wear suits. Twice when I happened to run into before a show he had on jeans & a hawaiian shirt or another nice looking shirt. He told me he was gonna go get ready for the show. I assumed as nice as he looked he was ready for the show. At the shows he wore his black suit & WOW did he look great! :) The man knows how to dress! :)

Anyway, have fun going to the Symphony shows folks! It's gonna be fun! :)

[This message has been edited by Cheryl Harrell (edited December 09, 1999).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 1999 5:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Well, I don't know if symphonies would force Arlo into anything, but they're pretty fussy about everything as a rule. There usually aren't a lot of rules for the audience, though. But then, they don't need them as a rule, either.
Personally, I think everyone looks better in denim than just about anything else, but sometimes you do gotta do what you're supposed to do....nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 1999 1:59 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo always says "You Can't Always Do What Yer Supposed To Do". I don't think he adhers to that too much cuz he usually looks pretty normal. LOL! First time I met him I noticed how nice he was dressed. I had been expecting him to have on tie dye, & birkenstock sandels. If it weren't for the long hair & love beads you would've never known he was a 60's type. Arlo looks good in anything. He one of the few folks I've seden that looks right at home when there all dressed up in a suit & all! :)