Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That's good you didn't have to go to Nam. My late hubby Mike had to flunk school to get out of being drafted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 am

Senior ArloNetizen

It was a scary time to be coming of age. I truly understand that plight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:26 pm

ArloNetizen

Location: Eastern North America from Key West to points north
Wow been a little while since I've visited last and thanks for an interesting reading experince.
Dr. you decipherd the screen name most excellently. :mrgreen:

Well 2010 was a intersting year. It saw me travel to MS from my native NY to assist my parents. On Christmas morning, I interceeded in my father's heart attack and had him stabile for when the Paramedics arrived. That pretty much made for an interesting ending for 2010.

2011 started out with rehab for him and ended with my father passing away in May. One month to the day after one of my Aunts passed So that was a difficult time for my Mother. That year also saw me spending an inordinate amount of time 1300 miles away from the Hudson River Valley and the region I truely call home.

2012 began with me taking my Mom to the hospital for a resection of the colon due to an large ulceration and saw me spending time supporting her through all types of medical proceedures and care to include having her in a skilled nursing facility for an extended period between surgeries. August 2012 is ending with Mom being given the green light from the Physicians that the Surgeries were successful even though there was a surgical accident which necessitated additional deeply involved surgeries. Finally at the peak of the Hurricane season and 7 years to the day Hurrican Isaac is trying to make Katrina a fresher memory. Well this time instead of taking off from work and coming south with my older brother to perform post hurricane emergency repairs, I'm already in place for clear weather.

Lots of life changes over the years since I first visited here. Guinan's Store in Garrison NY where I used to go for good music and better companionship has closed and I had the sad task of helping the family with the task. I had joined with a Police oriented Bagpipe band and played with them for 3 years. Run in 3 marathons well actually 1 marathon 3 times in an attempt to wear out medically required knee supports. and have spent my past couple of summers hiding from the all too bright sun, high heat and high humidity of southern Mississippi.

Looking to read some more and findout what the rest of the reprobates have been doing both here in the forums and on the road. Cheers and be safe everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:34 am

Arlo Fanatic

Good luck with your folks. Since my Mike passed from a heart attack in March 2009, I've moved in with my folks and keep an eye out for them and their medical problems, My dad has the heart trouble to plus diabetes and my mom has fibroymalygia plus spinal stenosis and sciatica. Yikes. Hope your mom is doing better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:29 pm

ArloNetizen

Mom is doing much better this later half of the year and she's even out driving again. yep she's a regular menace to the hood. ;)

I'm missing the Hudson & Harlem Valleys of NY though. Some of the folks I know and the cooler weather more so.

Oy to be able to hear honest college radio stations again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 am

Senior ArloNetizen

DrCharbonneau wrote:
It was a scary time to be coming of age. I truly understand that plight.

yeah it was, still a newbe finding my way around on this great site.Yeah it was a scary time and a crazy time ,believe it or not I would like to thank Arlo for Alice's restaurant it came at a time that help me get through a rough time in those years.
I am one of 7 kids ,3 boys,4girls ...but back then girls couldn't get drafted and both brothers had medical problems that left me and only me that could go so when it came to the dinner time fights about Vietnam and who should go and why we were there,I would just sing (hum) Alice's to myself why the others would argue.Towards the end they had stop the draft but kept pulling numbers and yup mine got pulled.

P.S

...everyone calls me G1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:13 pm

ArloNetizen

Yes, the early 70's was the end to a different age. And still some of the people we know are still fighting with authorities over the very same issues we had back then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Ain't that the truth!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:12 am

ArloNetizen

Good Morning all, its been a few years, over 1/2 decade, since I've looked in and said hello last. I'm still feeling misplaced in a region of the country that does not have 4 honest to goodness seasons. May have 4 seasons on the calendar, but two in actuality Swamp Arsed August like Hurricane Season, and Autumn/Spring. No real winter to speak of. I miss 4 real seasons. I'm still looking after my now 91 year old mother, and becoming more Sardonic by the day. Never move to a Southern Climate if you can help it too much of the worst of August.

There is a small Celtic & Folk Music scene here on the swamp coast. Leaning more towards the Celtic Traditions. As well as a Monthly Drum Circle. So some diversions that ease my mental anguish of not being in a much cooler climate. I fear I may not make it to VT and the church before this decade ends. But such is life.

I still stand by one of my original opinions on Politics, and trust me, that is going to extent of my discussion on the subject, I still loathe all sets and sects of extremists regardless.

On another much less offensive note, unless I play the wrong notes, I'm still maintaining an active relationship with Bagpipes, and Bagpiping. Though not the same level of engagement that I had in the NY/CT/PA/NJ metro region. I still consider my self as just adequate upon the instrument, though some say otherwise.

Finally, to close out this segment of segmented thoughts. Than you to the Blunderite who posted to the story board and triggered, yes, I've been Triggered! me to respond to and catch up with some happenings upon this forum.

Have a most Pleasant Autumnal Season every one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Leaves are turning color here in Massatack. First fall since back from Antwerpen Belgium since July 2011. Lots of Flemish Hippies around the near by Cafes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:16 pm

BlunderVirgin

SFC_Q was my previous user name, I am now using my given name. Good Morning America How Are you? Well its been quite a while since I visited last. I'm still me, but my points of view may of changed with some events. Facebook is becoming a political and advertising nightmare. I don't need that much BS and negativity in my life. I just want decent music, nice weather to ride my motorcycle, and some simple joys. So I may be visiting this location a little more often over the weeks to come.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I have to keep trying to expose the foreign policy crimes of corporate empire. Think John Perkins, in Confessions of an Economic Hitman exposes who is causing lots of the trash around the world. Perkins would like to switch out of this predator death form of capitalism into a green life economy.