Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

Post subject: An American Question?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hi all,

Halloween is around the corner and we have already started to make plans. I have found my giant spider web (panicked-thinking it was missing) it was mixed in with the black tinsel, and have stared to think about what food to make for the party.

At the moment over here there is a revival in 'retro sweets' (the kind we had when we were little, and a fad on American sweets; such as Twinkies and recces pieces ( I got mithered into paying £2.50 for a Twinkie, I think that is around $4.00?, please don't tell me just how cheep they really are over your side it would just be too much.)

So this in mind I thought indulge, Micheal is coming over from Maryland for Halloween and have asked him to bring some candy corn as I am sure this would be much cheaper, but and here is my question....

How do I make a Shmore (spelling?). I have got some giant marshmallows, with some pictures on the side of the packet but I can't make much sense from them.

So PLEEEESE help.

Thank You
Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/indo ... ecipe.html

OR

http://brands.nabisco.com/honeymaid/smo ... mores.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

well i gotta say, G1's post is short, sweet, and vastly comprehensive.

oddly enough (?)
i have never ate nor made smores, but am aware that many enjoy the ritual of the making and eating of smores….and so i did ask, "hey, you ever had smores?" "yeah!" "do you know how to make them?" "pffft, yeah. you stick a marshmallow on a stick, roast it in a fire, get a piece of graham cracker, put a section of chocolate bar on it, put the roasted marshmallow on, mash it down with another piece of graham cracker, and pull out the stick!"

smores!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
well i gotta say, G1's post is short, sweet, and vastly comprehensive.

oddly enough (?)
i have never ate nor made smores, but am aware that many enjoy the ritual of the making and eating of smores….and so i did ask, "hey, you ever had smores?" "yeah!" "do you know how to make them?" "pffft, yeah. you stick a marshmallow on a stick, roast it in a fire, get a piece of graham cracker, put a section of chocolate bar on it, put the roasted marshmallow on, mash it down with another piece of graham cracker, and pull out the stick!"

smores!

just to clarify, i asked while i was out and that was the general consensus, but you will get as much and more from the links G1 posted. still i wanted to include it because it was fun to ask.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thank You,

I might struggle for a Graham's cracker, but reading through I think I may get away with a Mcvitties digestive.

Those instructions you both left make much more sense, they are nothing like what was on the side of the packet, odd as they are 'Rocky Mountain' made in USA recommended by Webber Mega Mellows! ( only £2 from ASDA I'm going to get another packet, as I have some black food colouring and I can make big fat ghosts with them :) )

I have a small Webber in the back of the shed, if the weather isn't too bad I might get Allan to drag it out, if not I can do them in the oven.

PS I just got a message back that on requesting Candy Corn Mike's wife is now on the case to fetch loads of All American sweets over. Arlo's going to be running round the ceiling :lol: to return the favor I'll have to get a tub of Swizzel Matlow and uncle Joe's mint balls for her to take back.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:57 am

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:

just to clarify, i asked while i was out and that was the general consensus, but you will get as much and more from the links G1 posted. still i wanted to include it because it was fun to ask.

Thanks Agnes, Arlo was made up when he saw the marshmallows he's looking forward to Halloween, it's the dressing up as much as the getting sticky and loaded up with sugar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:35 am

Arlo Fanatic

beverleyknowles wrote:
agnes wrote:

Thanks Agnes, Arlo was made up when he saw the marshmallows he's looking forward to Halloween, it's the dressing up as much as the getting sticky and loaded up with sugar.

real quick….to clarify again, when i say "roast it in a fire" it should probably read "roast it over a fire" otherwise you could end up with a sad puddle of flaming napalm.

and reading from the links that G1 posted they are sure to point out how very hot they can be.
(i have roasted marshmallows before and they can get very hot.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I hope this photo works, It's Arlo with his haul under our giant spider.

Arlo had a fantastic time, the marshmallows were way too big for the biscuits but no on was complaining so thanks for the shmore info.

After a very successful Trick or Treat walk ( if the photo has worked everything in the orange bowl by Arlo's feet is what he managed to get) Mike turned up with a 3lb bag of candy corn, tootsie role and Jolly ranchers :shock: !!! Well made up doesn't cover it :D

Arlo and his friends sat watching Frankin Weeni till about 11:30pm shoveling in candy corn and other such sweets. (I always assumed Candy Corn was a hard boiled sweet, it was a bit of a shock that is is like marzipan/fudge)

Needless to say he was lay on the couch this morning half buried in sweet wrappers complaining he felt really sick :roll:

Hope you all had a nice Halloween

Me

Attachments:
142.jpg
142.jpg [ 187.26 KiB | Viewed 24444 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I didn't realize if you double click on the image it comes up larger, at least it up loaded.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

this barely fits into this thread but i just wanted to say how beautiful it is outside today. it is mostly overcast with patches of blue, and the sound of movement in the wind.

great weekend for birthdays and holidays

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:35 am

Arlo Fanatic

Sounds like little Arlo had a great Halloween. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks Agnes and Cheryl.

Still grazing through all the sweets.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:36 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Next time, try making some pumpkin pie :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hi Dragonfly (again), I did make a pumpkin pie one year I can't remember what particular recipe I used but it was really good, only I was the only one who thought so. therefore i have never really made one again. If I ever get to Iowa maybe we could make one together.

P.s Another fantastic Halloween. No party this year as Arlo was preforming at the Whitworth Art Gallery in Manchester with his Dance Group, so it was a rush back to change and go trick or treating. We did get the spider out though. Mike didn't bring any sweets this year but I'm sure Arlo ended up with more, due to my fantastic costume making skills.~Jack skeleton~ I spent ages sewing a ribbon with skulls on down the outside legs of his school pants and trimming an old tailored long jacket, together with a top hat and makeup he looked good.