Forums » Website Related Forums » ArloNet Support / Technical

Post subject: IE 8 and arlo.net
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I've got a wierd problem with IE 8 and this website; it's the same on more than one computer.

Before I upgraded the browser to IE 8 (some sites, like Facebook, were prompting me to do so because they were designed to work with it) I could see the listing of site areas on the left side of the window panel...where the Forums button, Schedule button, etc. are. After the upgrade, they disappeared. It comes back if I use Mozilla Firefox. There is a Jump to: button on the bottom right of the page where I can navigate to these areas in IE 8...it's just wierd that it disappeared from the left panel.

Post subject: Re: IE 8 and arlo.net
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'm having the exact same problem......I've been having to use another older computer to get on here. I e-mailed Dave about it, but haven't heard back from him yet......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

Nortonkevin, you can navigate to the forums with the computer that had the panel disappear by clicking on "comments" for one of the announcements on the front page, and then in the next window, going up (about halfway down on the page, just above the message window, just below the picture of Arlo and the mermaid) to the light blue band that has forums>>website related forums>>ArloNet Support>>Technical and click on forums. Poof! You're in forums!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Have you tried the Compatibility Mode switch?

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/0 ... -view.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the "poof" directions Sue! I am somewhat technologically challenged......if it just had 6 strings, all this would be cool, no problem 8) ......Having said that, now I'm gonna see if I can decipher Len's advice :? Thanks Len :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:46 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I had tesame problem awhile ago . Its ok now . My computer has healed himself :shock: :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:23 am

The W!zard

IE is a web designer's worst nightmare!!! I can't recall how many times I've done something at work and it will work fine in Firefox, Opera, Safari, and every other browser EXCEPT Internet Explorer. The web would be a better place if Microsoft ditched it in favor of Firefox - not to mention your computers would likely be a tad bit more secure.

I don't see why the government has this push towards PC's. I've gotten involved in security scanning at work, and thankfully I'm only dealing with the Mac side of things. 9 times out of 10 when the scanner finds a vulnerability on a Mac it's a false positive... I'd really like to beat the eEye (Retina) folks over the head with a blunt object (because it just means I then need to go figure out how to update my Retina Resolver script to get around all the new bogus issues so our systems come up clean). The only time our Macs need any real work is when someone turns on Samba (Windows sharing) - go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:45 am

Arlo Fanatic

Dave wrote:
... The web would be a better place if Microsoft ditched it [Internet Explorer] in favor of Firefox...
It seems that a lot of people think Firefox is only for Mac, but it's not--I use Firefox on my Mac and on my PC. If anyone wants to take the plunge, go to http://www.mozilla.com/firefox. It's free, of course, and I agree with Dave that it's a superior browser.