Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I was reading PSBeaty's posts and looking at the videos, and noticed this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz_qAE0_LGw

"Your Trailer or Mine?"

This song was written by Ken Harnage, a friend who lives just down the road from me...he frequently does sound for our local Folk Club, and he writes some GREAT songs. These guys on the video are good players, but Harney sings it better!

A group called Honky Tonk Confidential recorded it awhile back...it was the title song to their 2nd CD. They won some awards for it..

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i miss you psb! been a little bit quiet...
the light is always on...see...as that over there...on

"agnes, sometimes you are like a bull in a china shop."

well what is a china shop doing here in the first place?!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Sue - You know it is in the words , right : ) Look at the posts back to Woody.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:18 am

Arlo Fanatic

thanks for listening....

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:03 am

Arlo Fanatic

The singing of the birds was late this morning. I guess it is because it is cold out and everything is covered with a layer of cold water from the constant drizzle yesterday. The sun is still blocked by the clouds but I hope it burns them off and breaks through soon to warm the land. The coffee pot is broken. So I stand there in my robe shivering and waiting for the kettle to boil. The sound of the birds is louder now as the kitchen window is open and I hear the cacophony of the birds and the wrrr of the gas burning beneath the kettle and I focus on the nik naks on the counter or through the window into the mist in the trees and my mind naturally goes blank as the morning comes. As the morning comes, I wonder if this day will be productive? My focus blurs at the thought of the upcoming reality! I was so tired yesterday evening from the return to reality that I lay on the couch and lost consciousness by 8:30pm as the rookie pitcher through a third strike in a drizzling Baltimore rain on the TV screen and that left me staring at the ceiling in a dark bedroom by 2am. In the silence of the night the mind can wander about endlessly and you keep bringing it back and trying to relax the muscles around your head so that relaxation can course through your spine and into your limbs and the blood can flow evenly through your body and mind without obstruction. Then the past comes into your head and eventually you realize you have lost the release and the tension has returned and the muscles are pressuring your brain to dream dreams of lost loves and alternate realities. Until suddenly you realize, the singing of the birds is a little late this morning and I need to get up and start the fire to boil the kettle.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:50 am

Senior ArloNetizen

PSB, welcome back to reality...at least one version of it !! Your early morning thoughts are insightful, and always appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

well, the night before last i was stirred awake by my own thoughts...but the occasional lightning flashes (howdy sky, you up too?) and low rumbles of thunder seemed to help me fall back asleep...eventually. last night not much different, but no rumbles of thunder

it is good to see you.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The sun came out this afternoon around 2 and began warming the Earth where I live. As i said, it has been a cold drizzly rain for 2 days and everything was dying to be revived in the the warmth of the sun! I drove home the long route through the country and past all the homes I have had since moving into southern pennsylvannia so many years ago. I stopped at the Stewartstown Elementary school and sat on a grassy knoll witht he sun in my face and watched young kids playing baseball for awhile. The game was much different than what I knew as a kid with a tee ball thing popping out on ball four. I watched young boys crying as their fathers wanted to relive their youth as parents and pelted them with criticisms then suddenly realizing they had gone too far and wanting to backtrack their words so the kids would like baseball more than the dreaded soccer that has been stealing our young. I drove down country roads with the sun shining on the blooming flowers and trees fresh with buds. I passed places full of memories and thought of old times and things I had done with my daughter in these hills. I stopped at the Ace Hardware store and spent $20 on the last picks of New Guinea Impatients. I love the flowers on those plants and I had thought I had missed getting some this year as I was gone for a week! I live for the weekend and I can't wait 'til it is here.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 am

Arlo Fanatic

my grandmom gave me some impatiens once when i was a teenager...i thought that was a magnificent thing! but they came down with the scale and i said, (i called her on the phone) and i said, "hey grandmom, they have these little whitish things on the leaves and it seems to be hurting them." and she says (i can still hear her), "oh that's scale...just put a little soapy water wherever you see them...that gets rid of it." she had beautiful houseplants...like they could be in a magazine or something (mine look like they could be in a jungle) which reminds me... i need to take the indoor plants outside...they love being in the kitchen and i love having them there, but i think they like being outside as much as possible.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:12 am

Arlo Fanatic

That reminds me. I dunno what happened to our 2 plants after Mike went on & I moved in with our folks. One belonged to Mikes grandma and she's got it in the early 60's. The other my dad got me after we got married in the 80's. I have no green thumb but they survived all those yrs anyway...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

We've got a nice crab apple tree in the front yard...sometimes, in the fall we have edible red crab apples. They make a TERRIFIC red crab apple jelly! The deer also love munching on them...it's not unusual to see four or five deer camping out in the yard when they're ripe.

Most springs, we get some tent caterpillars in that tree...I hate tent caterpillars! My favorite thing to do is to send my son out with a super-soaker squirt gun filled with a little dish soap and water, and let him blast away! The soap doesn't hurt anything besides the pests, and the super-soaker does a good job of tearing the nests apart. Those pesky caterpillars can just about eat al lthe leaves off the tree in a couple of weeks if you don't get rid of 'em.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:02 am

Arlo Fanatic

That jelly sounds yummy... :)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:40 am

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:

Most springs, we get some tent caterpillars in that tree...I hate tent caterpillars! -.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Have you tried to stir fry them with some garlic and sesame oil?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:18 am

Arlo Fanatic

Sue will the soapy water kill off the caterpillars?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:44 am

Arlo Fanatic

No, they really enjoy bubble baths.