Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 10:34 am

Senior ArloNetizen

This morning I began writing another song for the families of the sunken Russian sub to go on the CD. I really wish some of you would add to it....Every day I read such wonderous writings of you all.....so many of you out there are blessed with a fine grasp of words.
Please help me make this a group effort. I could do this myself, but I am sure it would have more power if it had the direct thoughts of a bunch of us. So many times we see how thoughts put to music get through barriers. While polititians are wasting their breath, time and our money saying/doing meaningless things, musicians and artists can quickly cut through the crap and send a real message of unity and caring. We must remember that it's you and I who are "We The People".! Please help if you feel so moved. This CD is not for profit...there were 118 men onboard the sub...I will print 200 to send to Russia and anyone who helps out will get a copy. That's it.
Here's what I have so far on the song:

Dm Am
Lift up your burdens, lift up your sorrows
Dm Am Dm
We across the ocean will lift with you
Dm
We'll raise up a prayer for a peaceful
Am
tomorrow,
Dm Am Dm
This is something we all can do.

(G - Dm - Am - Dm 2X's)

The above can either be a verse setup or a chorus. I've played around with titles to it...not sure yet, any ideas are welcome.
(The cord structure is not printing out right on the preview, so it is Dm on"lift",Am on "sorrows", Dm - "we", Am _"lift" Dm -"you" and so on.)

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 10:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

SORRY KITTY BUT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MUSIC,

I DO FEEL THAT PERHAPS WE SHOULD TRY AND FIND OUT HOW THOSE AFFECTED FEEL ABOUT THE EVENTS.

I would go with something like, Johnny put his plow down to answer his nation's call, and Johnny done what was asked of him, Johnny gave his all, and now we are remembering him, his mother and his Pa, how proud they were when Johnny answered his nation's call and how sad they must be that it took Johnny's all....

but I know nothing about music or how the russian familys view the lost men. it's just a song of valor and of service seems to ease the pain, it is to say that these deaths have some meaning if only as a warning to others.....

but you know better then I and I thank you for your efforts.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 11:13 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Nathen, music is but feelings and thoughts put into sound. You ARE musical...you all are...everytime you identify with lyrics, melody and/or beat.
I think that compassion is what I'm going for here....so many of us have posted thoughts about this subject and why it affected them personally. I would like for the Russian families to see the broken barrier...to see that when push comes to shove, we, all over the world, feel loss also. The "NEWS" will find other subjects quickly, this will become just an unfortunate "incident" of the past... but the loss will be forever. I am determined to reach out to them personally and let them know that WE know, and care. When all the attention of the world turns to another "issue", these people will be experiencing some extremely difficult times. Music from us for them to listen to, will be a comfort when it seems that everyone has forgotten.
I think, from what I've seen on TV and visiting Russian internet sites, that those people are feeling anger, frustration, loss, sadness and helplessness. Exactly as we would feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 12:28 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

New draft (thanks to Nathen's idea..)
chorus
Lift up your burdens, lift up your sorrows
We across the ocean will lift with you
We'll raise up a prayer for a peaceful tomorow
This is one thing we can do.
verse
Mother's on the farm, baby in her arms
Grandpa's in the field crying
Sister's in her room, wondering what to do
Is there justice in this dying?
Who will hold the plow, brother's gone now
Who will write his name in the sky?
Will mother smile again? Who will take up his pen
To show the effects of Pride!
Chorus

PLEASE ADD TO THIS IF YOU CAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 2:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

very excellent Kitty

how about going on with

There are too many young men laying in fields a dying,
while the generals sit behind their decks denign.

There are flowers left unpicked, as young lovers are split, young men are sent tio die,
as their mothers are left home asking why?

Is it not now time to see,
we are all one?
Is it not time for a change?
Is it not time for a change?
the time is now.....

okay just a few thoughts for you to play with, as I say i know nothing about music

Hey hugs to you, you are a very special lady and I am proud to call you friend (((Image)))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:12 pm

ArloNetizen

The tide rises high ..the tide sinks low ...the national defence ....on this world getting cold...an eye for an eye ...a tooth for a tooth ...does anyone ever try just to look for the truth ...we gather our lives ...we do what we must...cant we as one hand ...lern how to trust...maby some day when we look at this seen ...the message of war ....can only be a bad dream...when that day comes ...and get here it must...hold your brothers hand ..and lern how to trust.....JUST play using the therr principle cords ...C..F...G 9TH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 10:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

My thoughts are with them. We are all people all over the world & humans... My dads people were Chechzs (Ya know Chezchloslovakians/ Bohemians) So I figure theya re very similar to my dads people. Peace & God Bless...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 1:16 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

ALLRIGHT!!!!
Thanks, you guys....keep those thoughts coming in.
One thing that I think we need to consider is that if the words are too political the CD's might get confiscated and never get to the people. We can write a lot "between the lines"....
Thoughts that comunicate hope for better times will show an unspoken knowledge of the things that are wrong now. I imagine that, though they are well aware of the failings of the people in charge, their main emotions are of personal loss. What I'd like to give them is music with hope...lyrics that lift them up.
I grew up in a Navy submarine family, and have had the experience of hearing that my Dad's sub had been hit by a torpedo in another country. We learned of this as a report broke into a TV show....I can still remember the stillness in my household...the fear, the helplessness....My dad's sub was rescued, and it turned out ok. But, I remember the waiting. It was just a piece of news...and it was my father. And now, I can feel the stillness in those other households...another little girl's father....
just like mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 5:18 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Great stuff here Kitty, Nathen, Silver Joe, and Cheryl, and everyone I forgot.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by rbrown on Oct 21, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 6:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, where's the blunderbunny? This is right up his alley as he's an expert on this! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2000 6:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

There is more than one song to be written, or thought of here perhaps.

Kitty's original idea was a song to express our empathy to the families that lost loved ones.That may be the toughest to write. It's like being at a funeral, and not knowing what to say. Often it's just the being there that matters. There are also the political angles for another song. And then there is the song in the tradition of "Deportees" that express the attitudes of uncaring people to someone elses misfortune, and that cheapen the value of human life, of humans that may be different in some small way to ourselves.From some of the recent events right here on the boards, that concept comes to mind first for me, sadly.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Larry on Aug 24, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 10:11 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Yeah, Larry, you're right...there is more than one song here.....It's exciting to see these thoughts on post evolving into music. Let's just keep adding lyrics, chord structure ideas, etc., and see what we come up with. I can mail rough draft tapes of what I'm translating into song to those who are participating..and if you have any access at all to something that will record...even a funky old jam box is cool...put what you have on it and send it back to me. I have a feeling we have at least one CD in the works here.
An idea occurred to me this morning...if we can keep doing this collaboration, we might be on the verge of a new fundraiser idea! What if we could put together a Blunder CD and all the proceeds go to the Guthrie Center?

I KNOW WE CAN DO THIS!
I'll try to get tapes out today to Joe, Rob, Nathen and Larry. Anyone else who wants to jump in, come on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 4:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I like your music Kittywest. Mine sucks

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by rbrown on Oct 21, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 10:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I play Piano, organ, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, autoharp, mountain dulcimer & used to play drums some (used to have a set) & have an accordian (In addtion to the acoustic guiatar, electric guitar, autoharp & dulcimer & oh yeah the elctric battery operated organ & an antique electric kiddie organ I had when I was a kid in the old timey days. LOL!) I can't sing but at least I can play. I have diddled around on Dobros, banjo's & mandolins in music stores...

I now want a 2nd electronic chromatic tuner (To have one for the autoharp & one for the dulcimer) & a capo for a mountain dulcimer. Some dulcimer arm rest pads for the outain dulcimer.

That probably is all a bunch of gibberish to some of ya'll You're wondering what but to ADG he knows. Image ON my acousitc guitar I put on there the Arlo with the Woman & Lion sticker on it & he signed it. On my case are 1960's daisy flower stickers & sticker with a peace sign on it that says no time to hate & a free tibet sticker I got offa ADG, & a neat Woodstock sticker. My dulcimer is a sweet little hourglass with cute little hearts. The Autoharp is a nice 15 chord one! Image

That's a great idea for an all star jam. There is at least one person ont he other Arlo site who is a great autoharp player & would be perfect to be recorded on record. From reading about Jimmer on here, he sounds like he'd be great for it too & probably plays really well too! We could get Dave on the Jews Harp (ROTFLMAO!). He could learn one & anyone can play a kazoo. LOL!

Actually if ya can play geetar, pia or organ, you can play autoharp or mountain dulcimer. Image From seeing stuff on Psaltrys on some dulcimer lists, I'm about tempted to try one one day. I can vouch that AlICES can be played on AUTOHARP & mountain dulcimer. I have done it on both by ear. But not for 18 minutes. I don't want my arm to fall off. LOL! Arlo should try it on both autoharp & dulcimer. Something different to try out. Image

Didn't mean to ramble on so but a blunderite record is a great way to raise money for the church & support the Russian submarine men who died. Image

Dave on Jews harp? Image Image

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Cheryl Harrell on Aug 25, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2000 12:02 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Damn, Cheryl!!!I'll send you a tape too...do you need chords, etc or can you pick the stuff out by ear? Where are you...is it Hampton?
Do you have a recording machine?

I am actually thinking of two seperate projects...one CD for the Russians, and another for a fundraiser.

I had some great news on the subject of the Russian CD today...a friend of mine has linked me up with a buddie of her's in Russia who can do all the cover graffics in Russian including a lyric sheet.
Another idea I had today, was that I could bring my 4 Track recorder to the Guthrie Center in October(I'll be there the 6th and 7th) and any of you who want to could spend a couple of hours working on some tracks of the CD with me. That would be really neat!!! What do you think?