Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject: Re: The North End Zone
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

Goofus wrote:
I dunno...I'm just sitting around smoking my electric cigarette, taking my doxycycline, and killing all those bugs I can't see...

well goofus, lets hope the doxy does good!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:33 am

Arlo Fanatic

it is a bumper crop for fireflies this year. I sit in the twilight and watch them. I have been reading The Saga of Roky...a fine read for any interested in history!

http://processmediainc.com/titles/new_r ... e_mind.php

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:08 am

Arlo Fanatic

howdy!
yeah, the fireflies are pretty cool to watch.
may have to check out that book! thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSA0Tck ... re=related

Sometimes those old Lysergic dreams die hard!
Of course those lysergic nights would usually end up with this song at some point!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThYvkWHU ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:20 am

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.world-mysteries.com/newgw/cosmicserpent.htm

The Elevators Psychedelic quest for knowledge is not new I suppose. Here is a parallel for the Elevator one. It is funny how that third eye is always popping up some where?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:55 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I am terrified of snakes!

My fear of snakes is possibly encoded into my genetic makeup! If I sought out the shaman and drank ayahuasca till I puked my guts out, my minds eye would probably still not see the DNA photons, but the entwined serpents. :twisted: When I was a child I had such a fear of snakes being in the bottom of my bed that I slept on top of the quilt, at the end of the bed instead of at the head of the bed, with the bottom half of the quilt under me and the top half of the quilt pulled on over me in a kind of a sleeping bag effect. This was my way of ensuring that no snakes could bite my feet!

Last edited by MG on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Acid, ayahuasca, mind’s eye and DNA, David Crosby and Jerry Garcia! This really takes me back to when I lived on the middle ridge of Mt Talampias in Marin County. One of my favorite ways to spend Sunday was going to see the Bohemian Grove in Muir Woods, traveling out Highway 1 to Stinson Beach, circling back by the Pelican Inn for a pint and a game of darts, and leaving enough time to make it to the top of Mt. Tam that has a view of both the Pacific sunset and the city lights.

http://www.pelicaninn.com/location.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:32 am

Arlo Fanatic

I too am afraid of snakes. That's why I never went into our backyard much. I saw a snake there a coupla times. YUCK!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

That first book about the Elevators was a fascinating look at what appears to be the first psychedelic driven rock and roll vision quest complete with garage band origins in a small town (Kerrville Texas), rebellious youth, unlimited psychedelics (mescaline first followed by LSD), a svengali interpreter, a bad record deal, a trip to the Bay in '66 (where according to legend they were the trippingest of the bunch), back to Texas and finally destruction. The musical legacy is incredible (I love it and have since I first heard of them way back yonder). IN the end, the law sentenced them to insanity and each was given their individual moments in the cuckoo's nest.

The second book was fascinating in its own right. Written by an anthropologist attempting an alternative interpretation of ayahuasco shamanism (or psychedelic shamanism in general) it pretty much meanders into new age clichés everywhere it gets the chance. I admit I was intrigued about how vision quests could result in some higher understanding of the biological world and DNA etc etc etc. In the end it is just a bad interpretation of modern chemistry, physics and biology with a particularly hard swipe at molecular biology. The actual focus of the book seems to be to create an antagonistic view of capitalism and its treatment of indigenous peoples and their understanding of nature (hardly a novel sentiment). I agree with the anthropology and the concept of taking shamanic visions in a defocalized literal sense but the whole thing degenerates into a world permeated by some cosmic new age presence probably derived from somewhere other than Earth? I think I will have to pass!

THen I picked up a book of poems and found this

You must be a granola-eating, left--wing,
dig-gothic, post-modernist, watch a lot
of Billy Jack movies, Arlo Guthrie-type

Odd, isn't it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:46 am

Senior ArloNetizen

PSBeaty wrote:
I admit I was intrigued about how vision quests could result in some higher understanding of the biological world and DNA etc etc etc. In the end it is just a bad interpretation of modern chemistry, physics and biology with a particularly hard swipe at molecular biology.

I agree there is a lure to ethnopharmacology, but this interpretation loses sight of the real antagonists at work during ayahuasco shamanism with a particular disregard for the biochemical nature of neurotransmission.

I'll take granola and earth shoes anyday!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

It's all to easy to publish half-baked, provocative work, and all too difficult to publish the good.

PSBeaty wrote:
Then I picked up a book of poems and found this

You must be a granola-eating, left--wing,
dig-gothic, post-modernist, watch a lot
of Billy Jack movies, Arlo Guthrie-type

Odd, isn't it!
Do you remember the book's author or title? That's a quote to keep and use!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i did get the elevators book, i couldn't help it! (i am not sure how long it will take me to read the whole thing) but anyway,,,early on somewhere it mentioned sleepy labeef, which i thought was kind of funny i suppose since i not all that long ago met him at a thrift store with my friend when i happened to notice his hat (had no idea who he was though) but in admiring it started to (just between my friend and myself) devise ways to take it from him and run out of the store with it (meant as a momentary distraction to amuse ourselves and not to be taken seriously...it is not like he was a tiny person or anything) so next thing i know a couple folks (i guess they noticed us looking in sleepy's direction giggling?) come over and tell us stuff like who he is and that he would be playing somewhere semi-locally that evening (so we are like, all having to switch gears and stuff) and then sleepy labeef came over and started talking too (it had come across somewhere in there that we didn't know who sleepy was) and still, he was friendly enough. we pointed out eventually that his hat had gotten our attention (which he took the time to tell us a little about) but we decided not to confess our sins of elaborate schemes to steal it.

anyway

hard not to get lost in that laughing jam session!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

well the chapter on livin' on the components of god shows you just how mathematics, LSD and the religions of the world can result in a killer album but oh, all those dreams and visions

TheTommy (the svengali) Hall on his song Slip Inside This House:

"I had seen Bodhisattva as atoms, these atoms would be the manifestations of the living force, being-ness. It has to do with the components of God. There is a common physics uniting the universe. It's connected, this connection has to do with the cause of the universe, the reason the universe is caused is because it is fulfilling its purpose."

He may be crazy and taken too much acid but he is more interesting than that anthropologist fellow...I mean its a bunch of abstract words strewn together but nothing there I can really disagree with from my own philosophical perspective. Of course I value material less than energy!

Another line from that poem

I dream of Tom Waits fingerpainting lightbulbs on my holiday wreath
and I am Jewish, pretty weird huh?
I celebrate Tiny Tim's birthday with a parade of deadheads
some who never sleep and some who never go to the bathroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC0n0NAU ... re=related

Another of those old songs I remember seeing John with Jerry Jeff and Michael Murphy and Asleep at the Wheel in '74 at Classen High. They set up a stage in the high school end zone. Great Show!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 pm

Arlo Fanatic

PSBeaty wrote:
.......Of course I value material less than energy!....

i can understand that! in a way...

but...does matter produce...fuel(?)...change into(?) energy?

or the other way round?

(you already know i am goofy!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The 80's were the best time to be a bit rebellious! So many weren't! And then very few were! The 80's were the best time to be a bit rebellious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjexB6DHhII