Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject: Re: The North End Zone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

go ravens!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i'll bet you thought i was going to post that last of the steam powered trains song by the kinks again but i didn't did i. i'll tell you though, you guys were ruthless!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Bummer deal dudette! Losing all that work. Take heart Cheryl - it may be a project for a cold winter's day

I am not real familiar with much of the Kinks stuff. Always liked them, but never bought much more than their first greatest hits thing - and I don't usually by greatest hits albums as I'd rather not have that kind of a compilation. agnes, sometimes you amaze me with what you've got stored away in that noodle of yours. (and I mean that in a good way you see) I think I'm losing stuff. I figure it's a matter of time - your brain gets full after a while and then, when new stuff comes along, some of the older stuff has to be pushed out to make room for the new stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:01 am

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, it looks like I have alot of stuff for cold winters day projects to do. Like moving old records up to the attic getting the rest of my clothes put up at my folks house...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

ron, i love it when i learn new stuff (i have learned some really cool stuff from others!) and i am sure i have a lot to learn. it is annoying though having to sort through the craziness sometimes!
(example: politics in general)

anyway, i am not so sure i am ready for a swell head on account of what is stored in my noodle :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:55 pm

Well you could start a band and call it Big Head Agnes and the Blunderites (or something else equally appropriate.)

I will admit I have never seen your head so I am taking your word on your "swell" one agnes. Actually I would guess most folks have pretty good heads as far as size goes. The capacity for thought, hmmmm. Too much screen time today I think.

Fridays just don't have the same feel when you're unemployed. (Just thought of that for some reason)

And what I really want to know - is it "River to Pray" or "Valley to Pray"? When I heard that tune in the Coen Bros. movie it got me to thinking since Arlo did the tune on the Washington County album. (or was it Hobo's Lullaby?) (No it was Washington County) And what's the deal with all the parenthesis?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo sings "....valley to pray".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:18 am

Arlo Fanatic

well i know the name "mad agnes" is already taken...

i wasn't saying that i should have a swell head...i was saying i am not sure why i should!

hey! how about you join my band and we call it the shrunken heads!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Aye agnes, that would be quite appropopopopopoe I am thinking.

NK, indeed I do know Arlo recorded the tune, but I was wondering what the correct title/lyrics were. I'm guessing the Coen's - actually T-Bone - adapted the tune for the movie and changed the lyric to river since that was the scene it was used in. I remember when I saw the movie I said to myself, "Hey self, that's the tune Arlo did on Washington County! Wait! The lyrics aren't the same even though the tune is. Hmmm". Tis a mystery.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:11 am

Arlo Fanatic

my dad saw that movie and raved about it! i remember him saying to me over the phone one day, "hey!! i watched this movie the other day...." (i knew by the tone in his voice he had gotten his hands on a copy of that movie). "you mean o brother where art thou?" and he is like, "yeah!...i'll tell you that is really how it was! only they (in the movie) had electricity!"

if that is the movie you mean? anyway...i don't know the history of the song.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:43 pm

Aye, that is indeed the movie I am referring to. Need to do some more investigating as I think the song may be a "traditional" which could indicate there may be no definitive answer as far as lyrics go.

T-Bone Burnett - who did the music end of things for the movie - would be someone who would know about that stuff I would guess. I also think Arlo would know about that stuff too. That's why it raises the question in my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:15 am

Arlo Fanatic

and speaking of poe...the ravens did not win this time. i was going to go out yesterday but wound up with a fever (i am okay now!) and stayed in...i did manage to get the tv turned on before the game but i didn't see a bit of it!

it is funny the things that pop into your mind when coming out of a fever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmsQ4QhS_Y

anyway, i was thinking about football and that game we played as kids, well teenagers, called "kill the guy with the ball"?...just us (co-ed...i was "co" and they were "ed") in the street barefoot, a ball and no rules. i am pretty sure some thought we were raised by wolves.
'course on a different day we would be sitting in the grass waxing philosophic making clover necklaces!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

oh yeah! i know i have said something about this before (sorry!) but a bunch of songs i first heard by my dad singing and playing on guitar long before i heard them on a record or radio....and i remember once dragging him to an arlo show and he sits up straight saying , "hey! i know that song!" i know one was that roving gambler song only maybe it went a little differently...and another one was that song woody did the i ain't got no home song and he is like, "...and grandmom (meaning my grandmom, his mom) used to sing that one!" only he was saying how the words were a little different like this and that....so yeah, some of those songs have traveled a ways and found different branches of their family trees!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 pm

Indeed! I imagine someone maybe forgets a word or substitutes a word while performing. Then a listener likes the tune and does it the way they heard it with the slightly different words and then, well, it just snowballs from there you know.

Before you know it This Land is Your Land turns into Sugar Sugar. :o

Last edited by Ron on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Oops, wrong button