Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:56 am

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.hooknortonbrewery.co.uk/beers_home.html

well the beer is good and
it keeps you regular!

horizontal versus vertical evolution
(horizontal constrain genomic change and vertical frees genomic change)

When I was in Finland I went to a symposium on vertical evolution. The evolution of the ESBL Island in the Gram negative genome also known as the carbenicillin cruncher. There was a talk on the Fractal Analysis of the Gram Negative genome and traces of accents (you know like a French accent or a Portugese accent) in the strain genomes. You can trace family histories based on accents. The examples he gave were interesting and he claimed he could follow phage and Transformation Island DNA in the various strains that contain these ESBL (Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamases or, for you Andromeda fans, The Deadly Resistant Strains). That was the first applied Fractal I have been exposed to and I thought it interesting (I mean I have read about them in other fields and things). The problem was that by the limited amount of data it looks as though these transformation Islands are a relatively new phenomenon (evolutionarily speaking) in the enteric realm of bacteria. Because, based on this theory of fractal accents, there should have been other historical disruptions of the genetic structure unless (unlike plasmids) there is a tendency to reorganize the islands into the more common structure of the native nucleic acids.

Oh crap I gotta go to work! My mind went out on a roller coaster on that one!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 am

Arlo Fanatic

Well... at least the beer is good

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I believe HookNorton was my great-great-great-great beer-brewing pirate grandfather.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:29 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

PSBeaty wrote:
The problem was that by the limited amount of data it looks as though these transformation Islands are a relatively new phenomenon (evolutionarily speaking) in the enteric realm of bacteria. Because, based on this theory of fractal accents, there should have been other historical disruptions of the genetic structure unless (unlike plasmids) there is a tendency to reorganize the islands into the more common structure of the native nucleic acids.

There is always the possibility this horizontally evolved material loses it's accent after a while !

(That nucleotide content can no longer be seen after a generation or so, masking its visibility and limiting traceability, and highlighting the need for rapid diagnostics for these genes.)

Just something to work on in your spare time... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

MG wrote:
PSBeaty wrote:
Because, based on this theory of fractal accents, there should have been other historical disruptions of the genetic structure
Quote:
unless (unlike plasmids) there is a tendency to reorganize the islands into the more common structure of the native nucleic acids

There is always the possibility this horizontally evolved material loses it's accent after a while !

(That nucleotide content can no longer be seen after a generation or so, masking its visibility and limiting traceability, and highlighting the need for rapid diagnostics for these genes.)

Just something to work on in your spare time... :D

In this tendency to "reorganize into the more common structure of the native nucleic acid " they lose their specific dialect!! That is really your thought , not mine, psb. I am more excited that I have made this many boxes!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I still haven't figured out how to make those box thingys......How'd you do that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:35 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

nortonkevin wrote:

I still haven't figured out how to make those box thingys......How'd you do that?

It was quite random Kevin, and I use preview before submit alot !!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:54 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hmmmm...... :idea: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:57 am

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLseSoSU9Ps

I was listening to this music this morning as I was reminiscing about my life and times and so I went to you tube. I was looking for My Sweet and Bitter Bowl but it is full of gems if you have not heard it I would recommend you seek it out!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

the song you mention is a good one...the one at the closing of the vid another one

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:47 am

Senior ArloNetizen

PSBeaty wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLseSoSU9Ps

I was listening to this music this morning as I was reminiscing about my life and times and so I went to you tube. I was looking for My Sweet and Bitter Bowl but it is full of gems if you have not heard it I would recommend you seek it out!

I went there too and also did not find it , but other gems!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Wow, i got this really cool stuff in the mail today. All i had to do was type some credit card numbers into a slot and all this cool stuff showed up. I got a bust of Woody. A book of Woody Artwork (I love that book) and, what else, a cool black and white photo. Shit, I jumped up and displayed it A R T i s t I C a LLy in the living room. I was digging on it. I was over at that Woody Site you know (I go over there cause I like the way he used words and I just go over there and read lyrics don't cha know) and then I saw a sign that said Shop or Store or something and I thought, I said to myself, OK and went there and got all this cool stuff. SWEET!

Last edited by PSBeaty on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Yes but where is my Sweet and Bitter Bowl you mentioned? :wink: :P

Has the reflection period passed ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:28 am

Arlo Fanatic

i used to read nora's news there for a little while but i kind of lost track or something...

but she is a pretty good writer too! and i actually got the chance to tell her that once!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

i was actually reading the lyrics to sweet and bitter bowl when I turned into the e-shopper! who'd a thunk?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.