Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 am

Arlo Fanatic

whadda buncha whities!!!

(this is where everyone in the class turns and stares as it is the first she has spoken in months)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

My shoemaker and my fish monger both insist to me that sole exists. Who am I to argue? :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I certainly don't know about soul's existence, and really shouldn't care since I can't do anything about it one way or another.....I just like playin' with this type-er-writer thingy so dang much!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

omg, psb! Aretha is definitely the Queen of Soul, you need to be to get away with those dresses!

Is the soul an arrogant human concept, as you suggest, or did God give a soul only to man (that he created in his image)? Evidence suggests that man has a soul. If God does not exist, where did man get his soul?

Did Michelangelo get the Idea from his creative genius, but painted from his soul? If so, is the soul then the source from which art transcends human life form, or is there really only one form of soul, and that would be when Rufus is Walking the Dog :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

nortonkevin wrote:
I certainly don't know about soul's existence, and really shouldn't care since I can't do anything about it one way or another.....I just like playin' with this type-er-writer thingy so dang much!!!

No need to be shy, go ahead and let her rip! Ask Larry to send you his fav Sole recipe! Whatever!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

MG wrote:
Is the soul an arrogant human concept, as you suggest, or did God give a soul only to man (that he created in his image)? Evidence suggests that man has a soul. If God does not exist, where did man get his soul?

the soul is not an arrogant concept, the need for a soul that transcends and the argument that the human has a special place in the universe and possesses this transcendent vehicle as a result of that Godlike stature, that is what seems to me a bit arrogant...but, hey ho...

why is the acid queen covered in baked beans?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Well, OK, same difference , but thanks for expanding!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

He exists and that's where man got his soul... :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:39 am

Arlo Fanatic

Cheryl Harrell wrote:
He exists and that's where man got his soul... :)

And God is a fundamentalist evangelical right wing conservative who has (had) the ear of Osama Bin Laden, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, James Kennedy and George Bush among others and he is merrily leading us down the path toward the end of days (this is obvious given all the evidence of man’s continuing folly as the life form nearest to God). I can see it all now up there in heaven; they are shining up the big gold thrown so he can sit in judgment over all the souls as they march by one by one. They have bleachers set up so all those who make it to paradise can be cheered into the heavenly realm by those who have passed before! Then there is the lonesome valley for those like me who refused to believe and God’s top crew, maybe even Falwell or Kennedy if I am lucky, well be sitting in there little not quite good enough for God thrones up above and they will be raining down napalm on me as they thumb their noses in “I told you so” gestures (in the corner of my eye I will see Cheryl up there playing her dulcimer).

Or

Maybe God just really tired of humans and is playing some sick cosmic game to rub us out slowly to alleviate the boredom of knowing it all, all the time. Kind of like taking his time erasing the big abandoned project from the great cosmic Dry Rite Board! (I can hear one of his minions now yelling “you can’t let Jerry Falell in here he will see the big board and God is laughing obsessively as bit by bit the human race is erased in tragically slow and painful death!

I would rather rock out

It’s better to burn out
Than it is to rust

If you google queen of soul you get Aretha! If you google king of soul you get “king of soul James Brown still not buried”. So if you were curious you don’t have to google those things on your own now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

PSBeaty wrote:
nortonkevin wrote:

No need to be shy, go ahead and let her rip! Ask Larry to send you his fav Sole recipe! Whatever!!

Me!!!Shy!!! If I'm shyin' I'm dyin'! The question is (like Arlo sings), why must I always...be so slow? That's me alright.
And I know nothing about the queen's bean's so here's some soulfood for thought from Willy Durant:
"...any attempt, by either science or religion, to say just what the ultimate reality is, must fall back into mere hypothesis...It is the cruel function of philosophy to examine the validity of these attempts of reason to escape from the enclosing circle of sensation and appearance into the unknowable world of things "in themselves".....
Antimonies are the insoluable dilemmas born of a science that tries to overlap experience. So, for example, when knowledge attempts to decide whether the world is finite or infinate in space, thought rebels against either supposition: beyond any limit, we are driven to conceive something further, endlessly; and yet infinity itself is inconceivable.....these dilemmas arise from supposing that space, time and cause are external things independent of perception.....We shall never have any experience which we shall not interpret in terms of space and time and cause.....we must never forget that these are not things, but modes of interpretation and understanding.....rational theology attempts to prove by theoretical reason that the soul is an incorruptible substance, that the will is free and above the law of cause and effect, and that there exists a "necessary being", God, as the presupposition of all reality.....religion cannot be proved by theoretical reason or by transcendental science....." .....I dunno.....what I got out of this was the thought that I really wanted some chonklit ice cream so I walked to the store but they were all souled out.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:50 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

nortonkevin wrote:
but they were all souled out.....

You said it , baby!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

nortonkevin wrote:
And I know nothing about the queen's bean's so here's some soulfood for thought from Willy Durant:

I have some of his books around here, usually pick them up in library sales for a tenth of the cover price. Great Books!

So, I will comment

Willy Durant:
"...any attempt, by either science or religion, to say just what the ultimate reality is, must fall back into mere hypothesis”

Ultimate Reality? What the hell does that mean? What is reality as I know it? The universe is defined as a bunch of energy with a void to stick it in (you can't have a light without a dark to stick it in). Energy is expanding across this vast void dissipating itself as quickly as possible resulting in the realization of time. In our local section of this void, the most concentrated form of energy has been labeled by the indigenous population of humans, The Sun. The Sun's energy has pulled bits of dissipated energy or matter together by its gravitational pull resulting in the Earth (along with its cohort planets and moons and things). The Earth is constantly bombarded with light from the Sun and the gravitation influences of the Sun and Moon. This results in energy being absorbed and released with all matter working in unison in energy transformations that result in the great energy dissipation. Energy is always ultimately being transformed to a state of lower kinetic energy. Life, on this planet, originated as just another of those dissipative structures, like cyclones and hurricanes, just on a much smaller scale. Life, in its ultimate description, is an energy dissipating structure near equilibrium. It absorbs the light from the sun and converts into organized matter and heat. The diversity of life is a testament to the number of ways that high potential energy can be converted into entropy. The complexity that has evolved in these near equilibrium structures is a testament to the persistence of life to evolve ever more effective energy dissipating structures, taking advantage of every little bit of energy they can get. From phototroph’s in the stinky mud to the sulfur cyclers in the black smokers at the bottom of the sea, life is grand in its forms! That is the reality. So when you are doing your cosmic meditation down on the banks of the Canadian River near the old Kickapoo Camp or in Charon’s Gardens in the Wichita Mountains which was holy to the Comanche or even in the Arbuckle Mountains on the Washita or in the Ouachita Mountains along the Red River or even in them Ozarks on the Buffalo (these are the places I meditated as a young boy) on a full moon night perhaps with some herb or cactus buttons to open your mind and singing them old Gospel songs or songs about flag decals and tomorrow when your bride is gonna come or maybe even about ripples in still water with the big campfire light echoing off the trees, maybe then you will realize that ultimate realities, realities beyond what you can touch, feel and observe are simply not necessary! It happened to me so it could happen to you!

..”It is the cruel function of philosophy to examine the validity of these attempts of reason to escape from the enclosing circle of sensation and appearance into the unknowable world of things "in themselves"”

Philosophers like Scientists and Preachers and Plumbers and Prophets and Grocery Clerks and Hockey Mom’s and Schizophrenic Daydreamers like me can all make up logical suppositions about the reality of it all and I am here to tell you right now, none of it means shit to a tree!
Antimonies are the insoluable dilemmas born of a science that tries to overlap experience. So, for example, when knowledge attempts to decide whether the world is finite or infinate in space, thought rebels against either supposition: beyond any limit, we are driven to conceive something further, endlessly; and yet infinity itself is inconceivable.....these dilemmas arise from supposing that space, time and cause are external things independent of perception.....We shall never have any experience which we shall not interpret in terms of space and time and cause.....we must never forget that these are not things, but modes of interpretation and understanding.

I don’t know for sure but it sure sounds like when he commits himself on this subject he agrees with me, I mean I think I could have written. ”we must never forget that these are not things, but modes of interpretation and understanding”. Sure sounds like me?

....rational theology attempts to prove by theoretical reason that the soul is an incorruptible substance, that the will is free and above the law of cause and effect, and that there exists a "necessary being", God, as the presupposition of all reality.....religion cannot be proved by theoretical reason or by transcendental science....."

And that is exactly why I don’t feel it is worth the time to sort out the modes of interpretation and understanding of people with whom I basically disagree.

As far as the Queen's beans...In the Queen of Soul dispute, If I recall correctly...was not the pretender to the thrown spewed upon by a massive baked bean leak in the white room wall in that opera Tommy?

We forsake you, Gonna rape you, let's forget you, better....still

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:59 am

Arlo Fanatic

PSBeaty wrote: "I don’t know for sure but it sure sounds like when he commits himself on this subject he agrees with me, I mean I think I could have written. ”we must never forget that these are not things, but modes of interpretation and understanding”. Sure sounds like me?"

I thought he sounded like me.....and you. The universe is a mighty big place (to us) with, as the quantum physicists like to say, infinite possibilities, so I suppose it could happen.

-----
"And that is exactly why I don’t feel it is worth the time to sort out the modes of interpretation and understanding of people with whom I basically disagree."

I am almost positive that on this subject anyway, we basically agree. You know, just kickin' stuff around in blunderspace. And I don't know what the going rate is for time today, but this morning I got nothin' better to do. Kinda' sad, really.....I'm just trying to be soul-icitious!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

nortonkevin wrote:
-----
"And that is exactly why I don’t feel it is worth the time to sort out the modes of interpretation and understanding of people with whom I basically disagree."

when I said that it was directed any particular direction but out there into space in general. there are those that think you got to believe (or at least acknowledge some sort of ultimate reality too) the things they believe...I don't care what anyone believes as long as they don't use it and focus it in a hateful manner....That is why I am a fundamentalist athiest because all those theists seem to want to kill everybody that doesn't agree with them and sentence them to hell!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

AMEN to that!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.