Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Neat story. I have a pic somewhere around here I took a few yrs ago of a squirrel on a tree and his eyes really seem to glow...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 am

Senior ArloNetizen

sue wrote:
I finally got my son to grab the dog, and opened a door that goes from our family room to the deck, and herded the squirrel out the door with a broom. He ran out the door, leaped over the deck rail, and you could hear the "thud" when he hit the ground...running.

I never had a squirrel in the house!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Transitions and transformations. I suppose, I woke this morning and I was thinking, hey its page 15, Larry is dying to shut John Coltrane down. I don’t even know what I was thinking when John Coltrane started…wasn’t squirrels. I like squirrels OK! Sometimes they can be quite humorous. Maybe I should go look and see if I can figure out what I was thinking, nah!

I was looking there at the leaves of grass

Mother’s ghost stands at your shoulder
Face like Ice just a little colder
Saying you can not do that
It breaks all the rules, you learn in schools

Sorry I was distracted by something else (shit happens).

I was looking at the leaves of grass, I love the leaves of grass. I have grown a great affection for the leaves of grass. It’s on the shelf with the other cosmic all stars….little rumi and lao tzu, any way I was also thinking of change. I spend my life thinking of change. That is what I do for a living, look for and try to detect change. Change can be quite dramatic you know. Change is typically quite destructive. To build you got to destroy. I keep that statue of Shiva with the dancing form and the banging drum in my heart at all times. I guess you got to measure how much destruction you can handle at any given moment versus the promise of the new structure of the future. I dream of dissipative structures. Ever dream of dissipative structures? (I know I have said it before but) Life is a dissipative structure. A dissipative structure destroys and consumes to build a new level of reality. A change in equilibrium pushing further and further away from chaos. But you have to hit a stable spot like tuning in a frequency on a radio band. I mean you expend energy in a destructive process and you end up on a frequency where there is nothing to tune to then you have expended all your effort and achieved static. I don’t like static, it is annoying, I just turn the radio off and walk away! There is always the possibility of hitting the right waveband and achieving a new equilibrium and the music there sounds sweet and pleases. The sun is warm and the breeze is cool and I am in paradise!

She’d walk down through the garden
In the morning
After it rained

Sorry the music got me again.

Oh well, leaves of grass, you ever leaves of grass? I sat out with leaves of grass til the squeeters showed up in the twilight. I was listening to Gil Evans and Steve Lacy play the Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. Ever heard that version of that song? Who did the “Hippie” version of that song..hhmmmhhmm…Jeff Beck wasn’t it? They are having “HippieFest” down on the pier in Baltimore this summer. I should go. They are having Flo and Eddie (The Turtles)…Imagine me and you, I do, I think about you day and night, its only right I ight…and The Rascals…Groovin, on a sunny afternoon and Moutain (with Corky Lang and Leslie West)…look at me…I believe its true.. you’re a part of me…I am a part of you… I used to love Mountain, I listened to them all the time. When I was 13, I used to go to this weird little place in AlMonte Shopping Center (I can’t remember the name of the joint). We would go there at like 3 in the afternoon and it was like a barbeque meat samich place with like a weird beef eater motif. Lots of wood and metal and faux knight shit on the walls and booths with wooden backing so you couldn’t see between the booths (everybody was isolated). We would go there (I could name names even) to drink beer because we had a friend that worked there and he was basically on his own at that time of day and nobody cared if a bunch of kids were in there drinking beer on a hot summer day. Anyway, there was a stereo system juke box thing were you could feed it from the Table and most of it was music we didn’t care for but Mountain was on there and we would play Mississippi Queen and For Yasguers Farm (what else was on that thing) oh oh and Creedence Rollin on the River and (what was the B side of that one?) Willie and the poor boys (down on the corner out on the street). Oh well, we would play those 4 songs over and over and drink pitchers of beer and keep a lookout for adults who might need a meat fix at that hour and walk in on our party (the music was cranked as loud as that thing would go). I remember who I was with but I don’t remember who worked there…isn’t that strange…I think he was a friend of Scarberry’s…Scarberry had Apache in him…I always liked to party with Apaches.

I remember one time when I was13 or so and they were widening May right there at 59. They had just torn down the old farm house on the corner where the old man used to have a reputation of shooting rock salt at boys who would be to destructive in his field. I remember being like 8 or 9 in that field and burying a dead rabbit in that field and a year later a bunch of guys went out and dug up the bones to see what they looked like. We used to get quarts of beer and sit out in that field at night and drink until it was gone. One night after drinking our fill we went up to where they were widening that road and they had spent all day laying out the curb and setting up the steel reinforcement and we pulled some of the pins up and started banging them together and doing the Woodstock Chant. I guess we were destructive but I don't think we damaged anything too much but I bet the boss was pissed when he showed up! Eventually they built a Skaggs Albertson on that field and down by where we would drink beer a place to die. My grandfather was waiting to die there and we were sitting around visiting with guitars and he was in a good mood and telling all his stories of Western Oklahoma. I remember we sang Pastures of Plenty. We loved that song cause we liked that little minor thing (always be free). We made it all dramatic and shit. Anyway, my Grandfather was actually singing along (a bit unusual for him, the only time I heard him talking about music was he told of a Medicine Show that had a banjo player that could really play and he played a song

There was an old man lived on the hill (shit I can’t remember the words but the chorus was his favorite)

He sang a angy thangy eeth thangy auth thangy oth (and he would stick his tongur through his lips and blow on the eeth and the auth and the oth)

Pop said (speaking again of Pastures of Plenty), “I really like that song I remember it from back yonder aways” and Steve asked “do you like Woody Guthrie?” and Pop thought for a second and said, “well, no, I believe he was a communist wasn’t he.”

Oh well, cosmic all stars and leaves of grass..

Ever read that part:

My lovers suffocate me
Crowding my lips and thick in the pores of my skin
Jostling me through streets and public halls…coming naked to me at night.
Crying by day Ahoy from the rocks of the river
Swinging and chirping over my head
Calling my name from flowerbeds or vines or tangled underbrush
Or while I swam in the bath or drank from the pump on the corner
Or the curtain is down at the opera
Or I glimpse at a woman’s face in a railroad car

Ever wonder what that means?

I admittedly have a crazy gene or two (I can point to the sources) so I am often an unwilling participant in the passions of my dreams. THat has resulted in me developing defense mechanisms to keep these passions in check. Sometimes it seems I have to wallow in my passions and dreams and it is better for me to play them out than to suppress them. I think that the sound thing to do! I suppose all to often when you live this way you burn bridges and hurt others but hey, bridges can be rebuilt and pain is fleeting! I mean, I guess that is what love is about, rebuilding bridges and resolving pain. I suppose I got to tell myself these things because you really can't change the past!
More music

Some words are best not spoken
Some things are best not said
Since this is your public execution
I think I will go right on ahead
(Mouse and The Traps, remember that Dylan knock off)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Cheryl Harrell wrote:
Neat story. I have a pic somewhere around here I took a few yrs ago of a squirrel on a tree and his eyes really seem to glow...

Hmmmmm.......if they just glowed in the picture, it was just the camera flash red-eye effect, if the glowed on the actual squirrel before you took the picture, it may have been one of those Three Mile Island squirrels that just happened to migrate to Pixley.

Anyway, PS is right! 15 pages now, wish Mr. Coltrane goodnight!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.