Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

well this just seems appropriate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SVN9sO4P4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Very appropriate and very cool.....I don't know what was dancing in his head, but it sure wasn't "visions of sugar plums"!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:14 pm

Arlo Fanatic

that five thirty in the early morning spring birds concert analogy still fits as well!

(that is how i remembered his name) ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I don't think I want all the answers concerning the secrets of the universe. I mean I've long held that if we knew that stuff the universe would implode, or, at the very least we would become the entity that we have been in awe of and praying to and stuff for all these years and that could spell trouble. I mean competing supreme beings? Think of the ramifications! A universal cold war? I don't know. I think I'll just worry about Iran getting nukes for the time being.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
at the very least we would become the entity that we have been in awe of and praying to and stuff for all these years and that could spell trouble. I mean competing supreme beings?

Larry sometimes I just don't know where your coming from?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:46 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

do you remember when I posted the question regarding the ( the heart/ soul) of the Taliban mom who would readily strap a bomb to her kid ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
I don't think I want all the answers concerning the secrets of the universe. .

Too late. We all already know it is 42.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

42? I think 420 might be closer.

PS, don't assume that I know where I'm coming from, or where I've been for that matter! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:06 am

Arlo Fanatic

Yep,the answer to the secret of the universe is 42! And if you don't "get" that...you didn't read the right books!

Actually, if we knew everything there was to know about the universe it would probably just scare the hell out of us and leave us quivering, shaking messes hiding in a cave somewhere...we're probably a lot happier not knowing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

But then the question is, which universe?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

I love this time of year
I love the brisk coolness in the air
Just three days ago my weather was influenced by the sun warming the ocean as it crossed the equator and pulled a huge volume of hot moist air up into atmosphere and naturally it was drawn toward the cool northern Atlantic. It was 80 degrees on Thursday! And this morning I woke up to the coolness of an early arctic blast following in the absence of the sun (on the other side of the equator now). This movement of the Earth relative to the sun has caused the water to stop its rise from the Earth through the roots of the trees up through the trunk and out of the leaves. So all the leaves are now hanging from their stems and drying in the sun. Now, I have in front of me the diversity of the light harvesting mechanisms all arrayed across the hillsides and reflected beautifully over on the surface of Lake Redman or the Susquehanna, an amazing afternoon of colors. Not one color, but an endless supply of reds and yellows, a testament to the diversity of life in its ability to transform energy from one state to the next and accumulate complexity (all those leaves and all those trees) in the process. That is the universe of which I am concerned.

It seems to me that it is not so much about what books you read but how you process the information. I do know that Anti-Intellectualism has been a cornerstone of the evangelical movements since the Second Great Awakening in the early years of the 19th Century. The evidence would suggest that it has been very effective just judging by the posts in this thread over the past 48 hours (just an observation). It is so easy to be manipulated when you are part of a culture (wait, that is that other thread about Nazi's and Dope).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:07 am

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
I don't know. I think I'll just worry about Iran getting nukes for the time being.

It not the fact that a new group of humans will have nukes (hell, Pakistan has Nukes). It is the fact that Iranians have Nukes that worries you, right? I mean hell, they are a theocracy afterall.

Somehow I find strange humor in the fact that Iran gave the world Zarathustra and the concept of dualism, the great battle between good and evil...God and the Devil! But I am a bit touched in the head!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

PSBeaty wrote:
I love this time of year
I love the brisk coolness in the air

i'll say! what a great day to be out!

i am just a wee bit tired (and perhaps a tad delirious?) and don't know what to say just now but here is a joke
it is an old one i know, but it made me laugh when i heard it

Q: what did geronimo say when he jumped from the airplane?

A: me!!

:)

PSBeaty wrote:
Just three days ago my weather was influenced by the sun warming the ocean as it crossed the equator and pulled a huge volume of hot moist air up into atmosphere and naturally it was drawn toward the cool northern Atlantic. It was 80 degrees on Thursday! And this morning I woke up to the coolness of an early arctic blast following in the absence of the sun (on the other side of the equator now). This movement of the Earth relative to the sun has caused the water to stop its rise from the Earth through the roots of the trees up through the trunk and out of the leaves. So all the leaves are now hanging from their stems and drying in the sun. Now, I have in front of me the diversity of the light harvesting mechanisms all arrayed across the hillsides and reflected beautifully over on the surface of Lake Redman or the Susquehanna, an amazing afternoon of colors. Not one color, but an endless supply of reds and yellows, a testament to the diversity of life in its ability to transform energy from one state to the next and accumulate complexity (all those leaves and all those trees) in the process. That is the universe of which I am concerned.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The universe is indeed a mysterious construct:

Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip. As they lay down for the night, Holmes said: "Watson, look up into the sky and tell me what you see." Watson said, "I see millions and millions of stars". Holmes: "And what does that tell you?" Watson: "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Theologically, it tells me that God is great and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it tells me that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?" Holmes: "Somebody stole our tent."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Arlo Fanatic

on another thread i read where drr wrote how humor helps sometimes...
in so many words laughter can be good medicine...heck even recreational laughter is okay with me!
(i don't have to point out the importance of serious discussion here do i?)

okay alright some of us may have a more warped sense of humour than others, but anyway

recently i saw someone i know who i hadn't seen in quite awhile
she had a sore on her arm, and explained she had a problem where she
scratches herself till she bleeds. and sometimes cuts herself but since she is vain (her words)
she only cuts (said in hushed tone) where you can't see.
so right away i'm like, "oh..." then with an air of mischief i lean in close, "...can i see?"

i was glad that made her laugh.

...or maybe i should have just given her a funny look and moved away from her?

of course i tend to self medicate sometimes by blurting out stupid shit (that agnes, she is not right)

okay pass the jewish penicillin! @#&%!*

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.