Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:25 am

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
well maybe i am a fool

we in the basement of the science building claim this space!

the basement of the science building is my turf smurf, so you better be careful as I am close to the edge on the smell of benzene and butyric acid. Last night the gecko's escaped and they got into the agar plates and ate their fill...but they consumed that mutant strain and there eyes went hazed then they lined up on the curb in the rain to catch the last bus for the coast! they didn't even leave a note filled with regrets and broken promises...they just didn't care anymore! they just needed to escape reality for a minute or two?

could you pass the yeast extract?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyqmt8G5 ... re=related

I was saying let me outta here
before I was even born
it's such a gamble
when you get a face ........Richard Hell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

they say it is a fine line between genius and insanity, so why am i always on the wrong side?

I am walking the line
Barely enough to be living....David Byrne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.pittnews.com/arts_entertainm ... achia_meet

my daughter the writer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

well who'd a thunk?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Pretty neat & interesting article. It reminded me that I had read somewhere once that the banjo had come from Africa. I had never known that until then...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Excellent article.....you must be very proud! I wonder where she learned to write so splendidly???

Last edited by nortonkevin on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

A fine article from a progeny of a perspicacious poster!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

Damn hippie kid; beautiful writing about folk instruments in a formerly 'respectable' family newspaper ... you must be very proud.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:16 am

Arlo Fanatic

I remember when she was 10 we used to dance down the street singing songs from Mermaid Avenue, her friends could never figure that out but she still listens to it to this day!

hoo doo voo doo
seven twenty, one two;
Haystacks, Hostacks
ABC
High Poker, low joker
Ninety nine to zero
sidewalk, streetcar
dance a goofy dance

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 am

Arlo Fanatic

When I was a young boy I used to get out the old Madeira Guitar and sit out on the porch and play that song about Muhlenberg County over and over again. You know the words are so cool and so hillbilly the way they fall together and you could yuck it up with crazy eyes and the look of knowing beyond the facade of these words into a different level of comprehension. Strange how singing “the air smelt like snakes and we would shoot with our pistols but empty pop bottles was all we would kill” allowed you to at least feel that you saw beyond the illusion of the present into a vision of some holistic comprehension of the secrets of the universe. It is good to be a kid and dream the crazy dreams. You know when I was older I actually traveled to Muhlenberg County just to wander along the Green River and be within 5 miles of Paradise just to comprehend the scars of Mister Peabody’s Coal Shovels. The shovels were gone from there by then but my mind wandered still. I did see a Peabody Coal Shovel once. Actually twice. Well, it was actually two right next to each other. I was driving between Oak Creek and Craig Colorado on the Western slopes. We were driving out of the rocky peaks down to Craig to go to the Catalog Mall to get some of the good dry goods you know and take the boy to McDonalds, an odd treat for a boy growing up in some parts of Colorado. They were huge those shovels and you could see them for miles once you crossed that last ridge and could look out upon that Western Colorado plateau. It was amazing to see these machines that could pick up what seemed to be an acre of land and move it around until the train cars were loaded with that Colorado coal headed somewhere to light up the flatlands and make America strong. My buddy Ricky he still lives up in them Mountains to this day and still engages in the local politics enough to keep the traffic lights and McDonalds in places like Steamboat Springs and Craig where they belong. It’s a hard life but it is worth it I guess when you wake up to the spring on the great divide and see the massive herds of sheep rounded up for shearing with them snowcapped peaks in the distance.

So now, every time I see a coal train, I wonder what is this thing the progress of man? When I used to sing that song long ago the progress of man was always the evil moment in the song! You know, you would make that disgusting look as if the progress of man was the creator of the illusion, the great curtain that hid the truth fueled by dreams of the pristine I suppose. You know, eventually I would get hungry and go in the house and turn on the light and fire up the oven and cook something to eat and turn on the stereo and convert some watts into wavelengths to feed my ears. It’d funny how I had to grow into the concept of the great contradiction between dreams and reality, but I did!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:35 am

Arlo Fanatic

The internet will be written down as the progress of man...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:11 am

Arlo Fanatic

I dunno.....I don't always see that great a contradiction between dreams and reality throughout space and time. In Muhlenburg County, (one of the very first songs I learned to play and sing), dreams and reality coexist---are in fact essential to each others' existence. And, (even though I am using it now), I'm not convinced that the internet will be judged in the future as progress. But if it is, it won't be 'written down".....it will be floating in the realm of cyberspace, a place of dreams and reality, a place of neither dream nor reality, a place like the "Twilight Zone".....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

I see contradictions ever where I go these days

I love that song

I was sittin in a diner
with a girl named Flo
She wouldn't say yes
but she didn't say no

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

that big posting up there got me thinking about the "clean" coal thing?

i heard somewhere they need the technology for china?

...am i babbling again?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

well you know they say China is just starting to own a car in every home but the people I know who have been there on bidness a few times say shang hi knows how to party! i am sure they could use some CO2 scrubbers though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGtUNelJ ... re=related

(just thought I would throw an Okie Video in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZpSBse8 ... re=related
(the album with this song also has one called Shang Hai)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.