Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

say hey gringo!

I went to Tijuana once. A long time ago when travelin on a dime just came easy! Funny how age messes with that attitude! Hey Gringo, Check it out! Hey, I paid my five dollars! Interesting experience. I had been staying in a place called Cardiff by the Sea where I encountered my first California Earthquake. It was a Rent a Wreck that took us to the border and we walked across. Hell today, I don't even have the cheap mexican blankett I brought back (it gets cold at night along that coast even in San Diego).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

PSBeaty wrote:
well you know they say China is just starting to own a car in every home but the people I know who have been there on bidness a few times say shang hi knows how to party! i am sure they could use some CO2 scrubbers though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGtUNelJ ... re=related

(just thought I would throw an Okie Video in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZpSBse8 ... re=related
(the album with this song also has one called Shang Hai)

believe me...i am not on any high horse! (high horse???)
i am trying to undrstand fully the clean coal thing vs wind, solar, hydro

i haven't listened to the clips yet (connection thing) but i will

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

no high horse involved
they need em bad and so do we!
(1.3 billion people going from no auto to auto, holy crap that is a lot of pollution)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

nortonkevin wrote:
"We all carry eternity in our hearts and yet our tenure in time is brief and, finally tragic. Death interrupts the happiest of lives before all of its promises are fulfilled."
Sam Keen
from "Fire in the Belly"

not necessarily my philosophy...any other ideas on death and eternity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6WwuxqXPOg

A cosmic song to mull this over!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGA6bpscj8

A little more cosmic music cause it is a lot to think about!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

strange as it may seem (?)

:) <----

in what amount of time i don't know, it's relevance may seem even more unclear?

i don't care, i still wanted to say...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Seeing this old clip of Stravinsky ( am listening to it now)
recalls his genius. It's as if human form is there for the soel function of transposing the soul to the world through music (or art as was the Idea ). Thank you for posting this- absolutely beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I suppose that life and death are the strict domain of the human species, I mean we are the only ones, or so the story goes, that can really comprehend what the future can possibly mean! All other forms of life on this planet will suck up the energy that can be liberated by their life force as quickly as possible and poison their homes with the toxic waste of tomorrow, betting on the probability of the great mix up that will lead to another great burst of energy depletion resulting in the formation of living material to replace the great cosmic structureless void with the progress of lifes promises. You know the mighty will pay with an excess of mistakes if it means they will reach tomorrow just a second or two quicker! I mean the mistakes only affect those on the fringes! Those poor irrelevant souls who didn’t realize it is all just a game of winner takes all?

I always liked this song, I don't know why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9aRS7Ky ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:32 am

Arlo Fanatic

That is why we are the only beings with souls that transcend it all!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

then I heard somebody say "OK son, go eat your fruit loops and listen to Stravinsky" then in a hushed to the aside....what the hell is he pointing at?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:53 am

Arlo Fanatic

Some, like Tom Joad (and Woody) believe there is just one universal soul. Man occupies a middle position in the universe, between the infinitesimal and the infinite: he is an ALL in relation to nothingness, and a nothingness in relation to the ALL. This middle position of man is the final and dominant fact of the human condition. It is also a perfect image of the finitude of human existance.....man is his finitude!!!

"In order to arrive at what you do not know
You must go by a way which is the way of ignorance
In order to possess what you do not possess
You must go by the way of dispossession
In order to arrive at what you are not
You must go through the way in which you are not
And what you do not know is the only thing you know
And what you own is what you do not own
And where you are is where you are not

T.S. Eliot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:16 am

Arlo Fanatic

that Tom Joad, he spent a lot of time in the intertidal pools with Preacher Casey with the sun bearing down (or was that under a bridge, I can't recall right now)! Late at night they would look for a drink of whisky and bitch about misunderstanding! Then say stuff like

"There would seem to be only one commandmentfor living things: Survive! And the for ms and species and units and groups are armed for survival, fanged for survival, timid for it, fierce for it, clever for it, poisonous for it, intelligent for it. This commandment decrees the deatth and destruction of myriads of individuals for the survival of the whole. Life has one final end, to be alive; and all the tricks and mechanisms, all the successes and all the failures, are aimed at that end."

I think Preacher Casey said that? could have been Ed?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:34 am

Arlo Fanatic

Correctly, PS, you be talkin' survival o' the flesh.....They be talkin' survival o' the soul!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

it is well known I believe the soul to be a fantasy (except when Rufus Thomas is Walking the Dog) and only humans have the type of imagination to concieve of the soul (or so they say) but were I to believe in the the soul I would say to you that flesh, blood and soul within a monist view would be just different manifestations of the one great Whole! I mean really, what is a soul but an electrical discharge in 1.4 kg of fat, water and salt residing in a protective shell of calcium and magnesium phosphate. Flesh...Soul....It is all just one manifestation of the whole! (I can hear Shiva banging on the Drum)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:43 am

Senior ArloNetizen

PSBeaty wrote:
That is why we are the only beings with souls that transcend it all!

soul exists!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

So, is it an individual or collective soul? The materialist in me wants to have the best soul while the artist in me wants me to transform my soul into the great icon of expression, laid out for all to see the evil as well as the good. The deist in me wants a soul of unshakable faith while the atheist in me says my soul will follow my ashes and blow in the wind. Is it the arrogance in me that would say my soul must be preserved in a better place once my body is gone?

Of course the great controversy is who is the Queen of Soul? I put my money on Aretha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK-g4ye7nmI

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.