Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject: Daryl Van Horne
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:45 am

Arlo Fanatic

I thought I would post here again because lunacy has its place in the world.

Yesterday I woke to a TV blaring the words of a man named Kennedy who wore a nice clean robe and he spoke from the bully pulpit. He said lots of strange misconceptions in my opinion but it was all for the good of the whole (he assures us). The thing he said that made me snap to was “tolerance is the last vice of a depraved society.” This was the conclusion statement of a lengthy wandering anti-intellectualism tirade where he threw out words like modernism and post-modernism and spoke of the selfishness of individualism but in the end he attacked tolerance. He said tolerance (and therefore secularism) were unacceptable practices as they led to the tragedy of the final solution (he was just wrapping all kinda stuff together in his 15 minute history and philosophy of the world that was amazingly post modern in its political approach). Of course in the end he possesses the knowledge to which true acceptable intolerance can be defined. Then I woke this morning to an old film called the Celebration at Big Sur and saw young people who are old now discussing and rejecting this mans theory of intolerance with painted faces, free form dancing and poems of billion year old carbon, devils bargains and returning to some garden.

So, I naturally thought of Daryl Van Horne!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

could be decaying society
I might have misquoted so I left this link
http://www.coralridgehour.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i had to look up who daryl van horne is (i happened to be in a room full of people while i was wondering semi-aloud who he was and someone wondered if he was a politician)...i completely forgot about the movie, "the witches of eastwick". now that i know again who he is i have to laugh at the obviousness of his name. i saw the movie once...and vaguely remember it...but i don't think i want to see it again just to hear the funny (i vaguely remember some) parts. (i thought it a little bizarre...and sometimes i love bizarre in a movie but, i don't know...) (i'd have to watch it again to fully understand why i feel this way about it)
i can only pull out a very abstract connection to him and with what you were saying leading up to mentioning him (could be that it's obvious) but perhaps that isn't what matters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:04 am

Arlo Fanatic

If the preacher Kennedy is the same one I am thinking of, he's a good one. He is a part of the Presbyterian denomination that the church we belong to is. I'd never heard of Daryl Van Horne before tho, I am learning new stuff on here... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

Cheryl, I don’t think he is so good. If you look at the link I posted to his web site he has “headline” sections that demonstrate all my concerns of previous posts, of racism, of hatred, of confusion, of lines in the sand and walls of intolerance. I can not tolerate intolerance! (Oh God, his finger is pointed to the air again). Why can’t I tolerate intolerance, because, as Mr. Kennedy pointed out, there is only one way of toleration in a world of intolerance and that is the elimination per Deuteronomy 7 of all those whom you can not tolerate. And of course he drew his lines, Jesus Christ is his man but Osama Bin Ladin preaches the same exact doctrine, he just sees it from a different point of view. Although Cheryl, I am looking forward to his lecture next week on the evils of multiculturalism.

But why Daryl Van Horne? Daryl Van Horne was a mental construct, a conjuration of three women who needed something more than the reality they had known. He was a conjuration that was designed to return meaning and passion and order, a new order, free of all the things that had constricted and controlled the way they perceived their lives. In many ways a modern day response to the line “cast off the yoke of oppression.” Daryl Van Horne was the personification of their liberation and then of course the movie proceeds that a new yoke appears and the ways of liberation must be controlled etc etc…
It is a pretty entertaining movie and Jack is well….Jack

That brings me to the reason for all this lunacy….The focus here is more on the Celebration at Big Sur. To me a very fascinating documentation of the post Woodstock Euphoria, and the culmination of years of craziness, because even more than Monterey and Woodstock, this little documentary has the feeling of a new vibration. But unlike Woodstock, it is a dissonant vibration, competing wavelengths that will lead to neutralization. The personalities are interesting. Ms Baez, ever the optimist wanting to move forward. Stills caught up in the euphoria. Ms. Mitchell for a moment in the role of the innocent then she churns out the lines of billion year old carbon and devils bargains and then stands there sweetly smiling and Crosby unusually quiet but digging on the vibe as long as it lasts…Then the two most interesting characters…John B wanting to paint rainbows all over the blues and NY slinging electricity to the edge in a fury that ends up on the dark side (dead baby down by the river)…these are the two loners from two different perspectives who seem to want to wander off for awhile….my perspective maybe yours is different. Now, a generation after the revolution, the new dawn, what evolved from that is what I hope will wander through this post.

Daryl Van Horne had a few great lines but one of my all time favorite Jack lines is

“Oh sure, when God makes a mistake, they call it NATE-CHUR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

PSBeaty wrote:
But why Daryl Van Horne? Daryl Van Horne was a mental construct, a conjuration of three women who needed something more than the reality they had known. He was a conjuration that was designed to return meaning and passion and order, a new order, free of all the things that had constricted and controlled the way they perceived their lives. In many ways a modern day response to the line “cast off the yoke of oppression.” Daryl Van Horne was the personification of their liberation and then of course the movie proceeds that a new yoke appears and the ways of liberation must be controlled etc etc…
It is a pretty entertaining movie and Jack is well….Jack

(not to backtrack too much...) jack is a hoot (i also thought he was convincing as usual in "as good as it gets" i liked just about everyone in that (talk about a movie about tolerance and intolerance and back again!)
what i remember of the character daryl van horne is he did have a silver tongue, but look out!
i may have to force myself to watch it again to have some idea about what i'm remembering...

anyway, celebration at big sur (wouldn't mind seeing that), where are we now, go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I was thinking of the burning bush, the fire that doesn’t consume. There really is no fire that doesn’t consume is there? Then there is the question of the fire that burns within. Is that a metaphorical fire? Well, actually no, it is not for the heat of the fire is real and can be measured by the expansion of mercury in a vacuum made of glass or maybe just by the touch on the skin or in the cuddle on a cold night. There is a real fire that burns but it does consume and we must pass the light on to new generations. So, the question becomes what is consumed and what is conserved in the dance of Heraclitis. Millions of little lights shining throughout the world, some a dim flicker and some a brilliant consuming flame that burns to fill the rest of us with awe. You know I was dreaming I saw Billy Shakes down in the alley with his platform shoes and sins, I asked him what he was doing there so he said collecting specimens for my pen, so I say Billy this alleys full of nothing its where the orifice is valued over the brain, he said he saw a Modern times shaman dream dancing while he tapped a tambourine. It seems Shiva danced with a drum just 20 miles from where I sit writing this to a dram of scotch and some old Michael Hedges tunes. Before I starting tapping on these keys I had read the story of one Charles Carl Roberts IV and how he barricaded himself in a small school room with prepubescent girls, KY Jelly and an arsenal guns and ammo not 20 miles away from where I sit writing tonight. I thought of this stuff and I thought how for years I have shared this Earth so closely with this man (actually when I moved here he was 16 or so). I can’t help but think of how I drive through the same hills and on the same roads that he drove. Did he not look out at the same trees and marvel at the same nature that I saw? Turning a gun on anybody, but a group of bound little girls, and pulling the trigger? Something seriously wrong here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i have been thinking about this too, got some thoughts i can't quite wrangle up well enough to put down...almost brought it up yesterday...kinda thought you would

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:07 am

Arlo Fanatic

sorry i got side tracked by that incident, it is funny how those things fester in your brain a bit and then you react and it happened at the key board! it is beyond my comprehension this act!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:16 am

Arlo Fanatic

When I was just a kid I believed I was part of the great revolutionary experiment. I used to come home from school and crank up songs and sing them loud as in some kind of ritual that was part of appeasing some God whose hand was on the verge of separating the wheat from the chaff. Stuff like “One Generation got old and one generation got sold” and “I don’t believe you, you got the whole damn thing all wrong” and “like Mr. Patrick Henry said I got to be free again”. You know I was thinking about that song called Wooden Ships, back when that was the song I could rock on, we would all get together with guitars and I would play that song loud and hard, you know, like I was really going to sail away. I would play that song from the album I can’t remember the name “What are their names and on what streets do they live, I’d like to ride right over this afternoon and give them a piece of my mind about peace for mankind peace is not an awful lot to ask.” Or that one album, there was one album I would play only about 5 minutes from, I mean I had played the whole before, but I always played just 5 minutes of it routinely, it just got me, that song went like “Have you seen the stars tonight, would you like to go and look at them with me” (with Garcia playing new age pedal steel in the back).

I don’t know? It must have been some kind of youthful idealism, but there was something comforting to me, an 11 to 12 year old kid, living these escapist dreams. One of the earliest revolutionary songs that I played loud at that time was about a monster in control of America, about a people who had boarded Wooden Ships to escape this monster and “build a new vision” but how the monster had followed them across the water and imposed his will upon them. I used to sing that real loud you know, “America where are you now, don’t you care about yours sons and daughters, don’t you know, we need you now, we can’t fight alone against the monster.” You all know that this youthful idealism about “getting back to the garden” turned more into a 17 minute long “In a Godda Da Vida” with a drum solo (I can still play that drum solo…puppa dum (bass)bum bum bum bum puppa dum (bass) bum bum bum bum)…. And I listened to the response to Wooden Ships closely for an escape you know, “everybody I talk to is waiting to leave in the light of the morning, they’ve seen the end coming down long enough to believe, they lived their last warning.” It all sounds so early Christian doesn’t it, same themes same motivations, bizarre. You know, an earlier version in theme of that, that I used to sing was from an Arlo recording of Hoyt Axton, how did it go now, I used to sing it loud, “Somebody turned on the light, somebody turned on the light).

I know none of this makes any sense to anybody but me (I think it makes sense to me)?

The incident that occurred the day I began this post intended to discuss the state of the “revolution” did redirect my thoughts a bit. It made me think of the monster. This horror perpetrated on these Amish girls made me think of the Amish for what they are, a group who boarded Wooden ships and looked at the stars at night and traveled to find a land where they could consciously attempt to X themselves from the world. Something many others left Europe in an attempt to do I suppose but the Amish imposed a society of isolationism to fend off the monster.

Oh well, the things I wonder about???? But now….it is off to work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:25 am

Arlo Fanatic

Just like Billy Sunday and his shotgun ragtime band.

"Thousand of college graduates are going as fast as they can straight to hell. If I had a million dollars I would give $999,999 to the Church and $1 to education."

"There are some so-called Christian homes today with books on the shelves of the library that have no more business there than a rattler crawling about on the floor, or a poison within the child's reach."

Billy Sunday quotes, gotta be off, presenting to the big cheeze whiz this morning in my Corporate reality!!!!......dummmmmmmbbbbb.......bink!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

been reading along...
just don't know what to say, gosh!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:06 am

Arlo Fanatic

An advert lifted from the Coral Ridge Ministries

"This groundbreaking documentary from Dr. Kennedy and Coral Ridge Ministries, looks into the chilling social impact of Darwin's theory of evolution -- and the mounting evidence that Darwin had it wrong on the origin of life.

This 60 minute special featuring Ann Coulter, author of Godless; Richard Weikart, author of From Darwin to Hitler, Lee Strobel, author of The Case for a Creator; Jonathan Wells, author of Icons of Evolution; Phillip Johnson, author of Darwin on Trial; Michael Behe, author of Darwin’s Black Box, and Ian Taylor, author of In the Minds of Men will show why evolution is a bad idea that should be discarded into the dustbin of history."

I must admit I have not read the ideas of the people Dr. Kennedy assembled for this package. THe tone presented seems more of a philosophical indictment of the scientific ideas of the secular society so I wonder, does the production and distribution of this material fall under the religious tax exempt codes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:20 am

Arlo Fanatic

"The subject of End Times has always fascinated people. Even the disciples of Jesus asked the two essential questions: When will the end come? What will be the signs signaling the end of the age? Dr. Kennedy examines what the Scriptures teach and discusses the prevailing historical viewpoint about the end times in this three-audio tape series. An accompanying study guide will help you personally interact with Dr. Kennedy's message and discover for yourself what the Bible says about the Second Coming, the Rapture, the Tribulation, and more.
Donation: $25.00
Product Code: 113578"

Another bit from the Dr. Kennedy site that is more of a philosophical opinion than religion, I mean sure he discusses religious text but so what? and I assume there is a Tax exempt status as the price is a donation?

The point is that Arlo should get a tax exempt status since he expresses philosophical and religious ideas and philosophies through folk song. His opinions, in my opinion, are every bit as valid as Dr. Kennedy's and he can easily change the words price and cost to donation. Seems reasonable to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Ok Ok I am sorry but I am just curious, why has there got to be an end? why should we live for an end? Anybody?

On a personal note, I pulled off talking about life near equilidrium with the big cheese whiz and explaining how understanding life near equilibrium made the company big bucks (and also affected world health). I am sure he will forget this meaningless little achievement. Most of life on this planet is actually near equilibrium but Dr, Kennedy would probably say that was blasphemous. But of course they brutalized hey-zeus for blasphemy many years ago.

Humans have pushed the limits of equilibrium though, you know! I had a dream the other night about the many millions killed in the 20th century in acts of genocide, the jews the russians the cambodians and the africans, it is amazing how quickly so many humans filled those voids, I mean, the humans have the planet so out of balance, oh ya what is that word Kayawhat , I can't recall, life out of balance (with minimalist music that grates on the brain).

any thoughts out there? (another dram of Laphroig if you please)