Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

Forum rules

Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Does any one have the chords to this one? One of my favorite Woody tunes, and hearing it last night heightened my interest in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:24 am

Senior ArloNetizen

There is a version in Rise Up Singing and I'll see what the book I got from the Woody Guthries Archives has but since it is Hootenanny night at the Guthrie Center, I won't get a chance to look till tomorrow evening.

kurt...

Last edited by kurt on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

Chords? We don't need no stinkin' chords!

Here's the notation from Rise Up Singing:

Em - - - /G - - -/ /Em - - -

Not much to it, is there? The / / simply means repeat the chords from the previous measure, if you're not familiar with the notation used in Rise Up Singing ( a great cheat book, incidentally).

mikey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:01 am

Arlo Fanatic

one of my favorite songs as well, I learned it off this album along time ago. It is a great collection of Woody songs you don't see very often. I pretty much played it the way Mikey says but i may have thrown a C or a D in occasionally depending on how I felt at the time! but you got make the G to Em transition really dramatic when its cold in the desert for full effect!

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Woody-Gu ... F8&s=music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:12 pm

Much thanks to ye!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

I'm no musician but here's what it says in "A Tribute to Woody Guthrie"
It is a book published in '72 with photos and Music from the 20th Jan '68 "Tribute to Woody Guthrie" at Carnegie Hall. And again on Sept 12th '70 at the Hollywood Bowl.
In the first verse above "It's" there is an E (C#), then when you get to "poor" an (E), then when you get to"hot" a (C). Oh, and above the first E at the beginning it says Gapped scale: No.7, No. 4.
There is an * next to the chords in that are in brackets, and beneath the music is an explaination which says..............

*As Woody Guthrie learned this tune, it was played on the banjo in a minor (modal") tuning with the melody picked out in unison with the voice so that when the lowered 7th of the minor scale appeared, the notes included the elements of both the minor and it's relative major. The guitar chords shown in parentheses give these changes on a harmonic basis. Woody Guthrie did not change position from the major chord but let his voice establish the relative minor as the melody dictated.

Hope this is of some use to you. It is one of mt Woody favourites too.

This is a wonderful book if you can get your hands on it. I picked it up in '73 when I was on a visit home to Oregon. Great photos from the Tributes, Woody stories and photos as well as the music!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:40 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Finally checked the sheet music in The Woody Guthrie Songbook and all there is is a G. Talk about minimalist.

kurt...