Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I remember seeing the two people who wrote the following songs in the Civic Center Music Hall in OKC across the street from the old Center Theatre where the Mezcal God Appearedonce, I saw them in ’72 or so. It don’t mean shit I suppose but it happened and if you are going to pass the Mescaline do it in a Pepsi cup!

Boy from Oklahoma Willis Alan Ramsey

Traveling across the country
Playing on the circuit line
Sometimes I think about a man
Who was here before my time
Named for the 28th president
With a Guthrie tacked to the end
Born in Okie mah shoes
With the dust bowl blues
A friend of the working man

Now he wasn’t partial
To New York buildings
That tried
To touch the sky
Or West Virginia coal mines
That took so many lives
Or the way they drove the migrant worker
Back over into Mexico way
And the scabs they would run
When they heard he’d come
And the bosses started to prey

Now I was talking to a man that met him’
In a bar near Clovis town
He said the whole place was a shakin
As he passed them songs around
And in between a tune my friend he asked him
Where he’d be when the morrow came
And he said with a grin
I put my thumb in the wind
and I am off down the road again

Now you know that Woody Guthrie
Is dead and scattered all around
But sometime I sing his songs and get to thinking
That he is still around
Fore I know that his fire is everlastin’
Testify that that his pulse is run true
But the rambling mans ris
And the kingdom is his
But his songs are for me and you

Just a boy from Oklahoma
On an endless one night stand
Wandering, and a rambling
And a drifting with the midnight sand
He played the blues and the ballads
And all that came between
His heart was in the union
And his song was reaching out
For you and me

South Canadian River song By Michael Murphy

Drink life one drop at a time, time
Flow with the stream in your soul, soul
Pour your soul in the river of life, life
Rush to the ocean of God, God

There is a song
I sing in a dream
There is a flow
I can feel in a stream
Up to my neck
In the flood from the snow
Over my head
Is beyond what I know

So take me
Down south
Show me the way to
The light house
South Canadian Motion
Downstream there is
An ocean

There is a saint
In every snake
There is a lady
In every lake
There is a feel
In every water fall
Happily there is heaven
After all

If you take me
Save me
What kind of stone
Would you make me
South Canadian Odyssey
A free flowing stream
To a new day

Drink life one drop at a time
Time
Rush to the ocean of God
God

My mom's Aunt Jessie (pop's sister in law) used to say that when you took the road southwest and you hit the old bridge across the south Canadian River heading for Blanchard, She would say "Well Kid, just point the car and close your eyes and pray you make the other side. The old bridge still stands next to the new one they built in the early sixties and there are some stories there by god. It is the same South Canadian river that runs past the land fill with the sulfate reducing bacteria on one side of the land bar and the methanogenic bacteria on the other in normal (Norman) Oklahoma about 10 mile upstream from the old bridge! Aunt Jessie started about ever sentence she spoke in her life with either Now Kid or Well Kid! no shit! I swear. and somewhere I wrote about her mother going out and sitting under a tree in the hot okie sun down in the boggy country in Choctaw land and waiting to die from a post partum infection (Staphylococcus or Streptococcus probably, but they didn't know about such things back then) and my Great Grandfather WP taking off afterwards and hitting the rails to become a hobo, back in ought 6 or 7, 100 year ago! my how time flies!

Well he jumped off a train into Oklahoma
When he saw a familiar highway sign
He knew a man named jean who had two said daughters
a very nice wife she smiled all the time
she smiled all the time
they had a screened in bait house
they run out of minners
soand they laughed and they swallowed
and they swatted at flies
near a box full of beers
that was always open
to Hobo Bob and his alibis
you could see his alibis in his eyes

A little Steven Fromholtz at the end!

It is not my fault it is Friday the 13
near a box full of beer

Last edited by PSBeaty on Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

hi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:07 am

Arlo Fanatic

i just saw on the tv that there is evidence that Mars once had surface water and clay rich regions

There is life on Mars (or was life there once)?

Holy Crap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:50 pm

Arlo Fanatic

maybe the potential for supporting life is there?, but since we're acting all crazy here on earth it's holding up the works....in this solar system...but maybe there are other civilizations elsewhere in the universe that are running smoothly...and...

i know it's just crazy talk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

It seems I spend most of my time anymore trying to maintain clarity in my brain. There once was a time when clarity of thought was an after thought, something I hoped would pull me through when I was being "tested" at my productivity. Then, however, I was more interested in experiencing than learning, learning being an adjunct to living my life. I don't know, this probably makes no sense at all.

I was thinking about man, human. A creature capable of startling intelligence, arrogance and ignorance. A suspicious animal by nature but quick to believe its own lies and agendas to the exclusion of reason. And, in doing, creates barriers and walls in a protective stance and he is capable of decimating his own species, even his own family, in acts that help him substantiate and maintain his illusions and perceptions.

Maybe I don't see things clearly but it seems on the individual level man wants freedom but on a collective level man fears freedom. Is it a lack of trust. It seems trust requires the removal of barriers of agenda and designed perceptions before you can get to the point of discussing reality.

Monday morning, is it a beginning or an end?

I shot the sheriff, but I swear it was in self defense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Don't know why, on a Ray Davies Kick I guess! When I was growing up I always said the best two song writers of the times were Bob Dylan and Ray Davies. I am going soon to Muswell Hill and i will probably have a pint or two in celebration of Ray and the Kinks (I am going to see the Kast off Kinks in the Boston Arms in Tufnell Park, Cant wait!)

Underneath The Neon Sign

All I see is imitation
And there's no earth beneath my feet.
There are no trees or fields in front of me
Only slabs of concrete.
Skyscrapers reaching up to the clouds,
Don't give the moon a chance to shine,
And I've got imitation moonlight
Standing underneath the neon sign.

Is it real or just illusion?
Can there be day-time when it's night?
Is it merely my delusion
Or are my senses telling me lies.
Is it just hallucination?
Have I been drinking too much wine?
I don't know if it's day or night,
When I'm underneath the neon sign.
Underneath the neon sign.

Electronic nature made by man with robots in mind.
Big city lights guide my way into the night, darkness shines
When I'm standing underneath the neon sign.

If there isn't any sunshine
We'll sunbathe by the neon sign
And if we can't see any stars at night
We'll sit and watch the traffic lights.
If there isn't any day-time
I've got an imitation dawn,
I've got a simulated sunshine
Standing underneath the neon sign.

Is it only an illusion?
Have I been drinking too much wine?
Can there be day-time when it's night
Is it mother nature
Playing tricks with my eyes
For darkness shines
When I'm standing underneath the neon sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:17 am

Arlo Fanatic

well in that case, when you do go to muswell hill...have a good time! (like that was even necessary to say) :) ...and we'll look forward to hearing from you when you get back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:21 am

Arlo Fanatic

girl
you really got me now
got me so I don't know
what I'm doing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:08 am

Arlo Fanatic

we gotta to get a handle on this life on mars thing before its to late. Pretty soon we could have an invasion of are planet by God knows what? Did you know that the Mars atmosphere has a sufficient quantity of methane in it to suggest thet electron cycling in the subsurface resulting in net methane production is occuring (true)! What if Martians turn out to be a bunch of subterranian methane belching ruminants that don't like the way man hs treated there cosmic relatives and they surface to take revenge on that blue-green planet that forms part of our solar systems axis of EVIL! Look at the evidence I present below from one of those speculative journals I scan......................

"The debris-rich basal ice layers of a high Arctic glacier were shown to contain metabolically diverse microbes that could be cultured oligotrophically at low temperatures (0.3 to 4°C). These organisms included aerobic chemoheterotrophs and anaerobic nitrate reducers, sulfate reducers, and methanogens. Colonies purified from subglacial samples at 4°C appeared to be predominantly psychrophilic. Aerobic chemoheterotrophs were metabolically active in unfrozen basal sediments when they were cultured at 0.3°C in the dark (to simulate nearly in situ conditions), producing 14CO2 from radiolabeled sodium acetate with minimal organic amendment (≥38 μM C). In contrast, no activity was observed when samples were cultured at subfreezing temperatures (≤−1.8°C) for 66 days. Electron microscopy of thawed basal ice samples revealed various cell morphologies, including dividing cells. This suggests that the subglacial environment beneath a polythermal glacier provides a viable habitat for life and that microbes may be widespread where the basal ice is temperate and water is present at the base of the glacier and where organic carbon from glacially overridden soils is present. Our observations raise the possibility that in situ microbial production of CO2 and CH4 beneath ice masses (e.g., the Northern Hemisphere ice sheets) is an important factor in carbon cycling during glacial periods. Moreover, this terrestrial environment may provide a model for viable habitats for life on Mars, since similar conditions may exist or may have existed in the basal sediments beneath the Martian north polar ice cap."

You see what I mean........Cows from SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPACE!!!!! SPACE!!!!

(meanwhile, Agnes says I must not write again until I return from Muswell Hill)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

that's not what i meant!
i meant, have fun on your trip and we'll look forward to hearing from you more! now and...again. :) (something like that)

you got me so i don't know
what i'm saying

you!!! oh yeah, this doesn't really have a lot to do with mars being as how it's about the moon...but does anyone else remember the gumby episode when he traveled to the moon via extensible ladder from hook and ladder truck and also wearing a nice warm coat being as how it was cold and windy up there doncha know? blah, blah, blah...

don't forget to write!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I was listening to Classical Gas on the radio and I thought: man if I were the sousaphone player in that horn section I would be proud of my little horn interlude there. I was thinking my I could see myself in a social situation after a Glenmorangie or two saying “Oh Ya, well I played the sosusa phone on the Classical Gas and we were rocking out when I did that”.

Have you ever heard Levon Helm sing it’s a long time to daylight and I am about to loose my buzz!

But any way

I was talking today at lunch and my friend, brother Bob Rosenstein from Queens (he is always amazed at my stories of being a teenage Okie wondering the streets of Manhatten, I remember he freaked when I mentioned I had a dinner at Luchow’s back in 76 and I skipped early on the high school contingent cause I said I had a date with some people down at the Gaslight) He went to some Special highschool close by Luchow’s back in the late 50’s, I always said, man that looked like a shady part of town to me????

Anyways, Bob brought up the Kerry thing about going to Iraq if your not so bright. OK, there was controversy and discussion, but the interesting thing was my buddy Greg talking and he mentioned how when he graduated from Highschool back in ’48 (he lived in Connecticutt and oddly enough both him and Bob attended Yale) anyways Greg said “when I was taking final exams in highschool the local FBI showed up and fingerprinted everybody to make sure those taking the exams and those that showed up in college were one and the same, Ok bizarre, but of course I couldn’t help, being the Okie I am, noting that Okies had no option (at least the ones in my family) and I proceeded to tell them the storyof my Uncle Nulan who was drafted in time to go to WWII and ended up in Germany as peace broke out and was enroute to the Pacific theatre when Hiroshima and Nagasaki disappeared. Now, you would think life was good, but wait, poor Nulan was still considered available for deployment when Korea erupted. So I proceeded to tell them the story (that I had heard so many times before) how my Uncle Nulan ended up as a not so young marine freezing in the mountains of Korea when the Chinese swept across the border with the sole intent of shooting him right square in the ass on a freezing cold night when nobody had enough clothes to keep warm. I guess it is one of the great debates in US military history, who froze there asses off more the boys at the Valley Forge, the boys at the Bulge or the boys in the god for saken police action called Korea when the Chinese came across and Curtiss Lemay and Mac Arther wanted to end it all with the big bomb campaign (of course nobody never made a legend out of those boys there)..

I told them about Uncle Nulan, he was part Choctaw I think (he married into the family, my Moms sister was taken with his charms). I remember my cousin bought a house down there near Midwest City way (where uncle Nulan came from) near the Tinker Airforce base there, and Grandpa Terry (Nulans dad) was there at the house warmin’. It was my first time to meet the old gent who could drink some Wild Turkey and get the crazy eyeball and he was tourin the house and said “why hell son let me see the basement” so we went down the basement and he looked about and serious as all get out he looked at Stevie G and he said “If your woman aint to skiddish you could run some pigs under here and if she has some problems with the smell well hell, go with some chickens, but the pig meat better if’n you know your way about a smoker”. Gotta love America!

Anyway, uncle Nulan was freezing his ass off in Korea hidin from the Chinese, but apparently, like so many boys in that conflict, he couldn’t keep his ass down as low as the rest of him and those Chinese sharp shooters took what they could get, and he had an extra hole in his gluteus full of hot Chinese/Russian metal orr! Now this was apparently the most common non-mortal wound in this particular war, so either these boys were careless with the moon or them Chinese boys could shoot like uncle Jed and had a bizarre sense of humour. But they aint no doubt had it not been freezin cold he would a bled to death but that cold weather gave them MASH boys a better average.

This story could go on but Agnes said I couldn’t write anything till I get back from Muswell Hill

Intro:
D//|////|////|//
Lick chords:
G///|A///|D///|////(2X)

D G
Well I said goodbye to Rosie Rooke this morning,
A D
I'm gonna miss her bloodshot alcoholic eyes,
D G
She wore her Sunday hat so she'd impress me,
A D
I'm gonna carry her memory 'til the day I die.
D G
They'll move me up to Muswell Hill tomorrow,
A D
Photographs and souvenirs are all I've got,
D G
They're gonna try and make me change my way of living,
A D
But they'll never make me something that I'm not.

D G
Cos I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
A D
but my heart lies in old West Virginia,
D G A
Never seen New Orleans, Oklahoma, Tennessee,
A D
Still I dream of the Black Hills that I ain't never seen.

G///|A///|D///|////|(2x)

E A
They're putting us in identical little boxes,
B E
No character just uniformity,
E A
They're trying to build a computerised community,
B E
But they'll never make a zombie out of me.
E A
They'll try and make me study elocution,
B E
Because they say my accent isn't right,
E A
They can clear the slums as part of their solution,
B E
But they're never gonna kill my cockney pride.
E A
Cos I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
B E
But my heart lies in Old West Virginia,
E
Though my hills they're not green,
A B
I've seen them in my dreams,
B
Take me back to those Black Hills,
E
That I have never seen.

A///|B///|E///|////|(3x)

E A
Well I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy,
B E
But my heart lies in Old West Virginia,
E
Though my hills are not green,
A B
I've seen them in my dreams,
B
Take me back to those Black Hills,
E
That I have never seen.

A///|B///|E///|////|(3x)
Count: (A234)(B234)(E234)(E234)ect.
| A///| B///| E///| E/// |

Davray Music Ltd.
(From the album Muswell Hillbillies)
(Submitted by Johnny Vargas)

That Ray Davies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:01 pm

Arlo Fanatic

sorry Agnes but I had a Glenmorangie myself tonight, so I couldn't help it, I had to write something, I guess I ddin't have to post, I'm sorry Hon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

it's alright with me! honest!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:53 am

Arlo Fanatic

I was humming this song and thought I would share, it is a waltz so ...One two three One two three:

Sweet Allis Chalmers
I rode you so long
It feels like I’m glued to your wheels
Your rusty exhaust pipe sings me a song
Sounds just as bad as I feel
A man could go crazy deaf dumb and blind
Fighting a four bottom plough
Watching the black dirt role over behind
While the suns beating down on my brow

Got a sweet running tractor
A four bottom plough
Can’t take the place of my St Joseph gal

I had me a pretty woman
Up by St Joe
She lived over yonder a way
Well she swore that she loved me
Body and soul
Till she just up and left me one day
Now day after day now
There is nothing to do
But point this old tractor ahead
I wish I was drinkin a bottle or two
And lovin some sweet thing instead

Got a sweet running tractor
A four bottom plough
Can’t take the place of my St Joseph gal

Sweet Allis Chalmers
I rode you so long
It feels like I’m glued to your wheels
Your rusty exhaust pipe hums me a song
Sounds just as bad as I feel

Bill Caswell wrote that song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

so i wanted to come back and read the uncle nulan story again.

i'm not proud