Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I was out with JB tonight a celebrating christmas,

Hadn't seen each other in a while.

I never completed that day here in the Bald face stag i east finchley.

have you ever heard that song

People take pictures of each other

it is from village green

http://www.pub-explorer.com/gtlondon/pu ... nchley.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

never heard that song until now, since i read about it here and then found this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JwEgNTbXZyc

but anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Arlo Fanatic

oh! i found this too!

village green

http://youtube.com/watch?v=34BydtUrt6c

okay that's all...for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

Why would I find myself in East Finchley on this particular night? Is it because I am some sort of Ray Davies junkie? Well, I admit to being a Raymond Douglas Davies fan for years and I have sung many of his songs so many times that the memories are worn (his lyrics permeate my thoughts as much as say Dylan or Neil Young or John Lennon lyrics and many others but those are the big four). It is not so much being a crazed fan as much as it is the imprinting on my brain that that type of constant repetition of those lyrics and their effect on my conciousness that brings me to this place. I mean, I do believe in the collective unconscious and I do believe it is our (humanities) inability to come to grips with the unconscious effects of that process that is ultimately the greatest contributor to man’s fate (wow that is heavy). I could be paranoid about the whole affair and have bad dreams of the unconscious being manipulated by evil forces that desire man’s downfall. Of course this would make me stiffen my resolve to pursue the correct solutions to ensure that the appropriate “right minded” imprinting occurs. Of course Nazism is the last great case study there, now isn’t it. The unconscious imprinting through years of religious and nationalistic propaganda and paranoia resulting in a world wide bloodfest of incredible proportion that alleviated the “civilized” world of its pretensions of “morality” and left us, as the chosen species, groping for a new method of justification for the “divine” creation of man.

Into this world were cast the four characters I speak of, all “artists” or culture’s shamans. In this group of shamans, Dylan is the most fascinating from a shamanic point of view because he so classically fits the bill. Maybe it is his Jewishness that brought that on given the events of the world at the time of his creation. In my minds eye, I picture the Iron Fields of the 40’s and 50’s as a begrudgingly not quite anti Semetic environment only because of the stigma from recent world events and their effect on the emetic and Non Semetic races (I could be wrong, it is all just a dream anyway) but I see this affecting the great Bobby Dee. I always think of Ozzie in my own past, the lone Jewish boy in my grade school in the sixties, going out to the hall when we did Christian things (yes we did Christian things in public schools back then). It seems as kind of a peasent non acceptance of Jewishness at that time in South OKC (I mean he wasn’t black). Whatever, but I always picture Robert as a person conjured up by our culture that suddenly emerged from the womb full grown as Bob in his shamanic manifestation in a reality reflective incarnation. This grand cultural mirror channeled through him in the great shamanic tradition of reflecting the ugliness within ourselves and our society back at us. Now before you think that I am some sort of Dylan groupie wacko I want to assure you I don’t believe Bobby Dee is anything more than a human who possesses an interesting set of neural paths with incredible input and output capabilities. The point is that I see the words that come from him as an objective reflection of both the individuals (Bobby Dee included) and society as he found them. He was great in the videos from that period and it is very obvious that he had no idea what was happening it just happened. I think his astonishing abilities in this role have left many a-would be shaman (including Neil and John) with a considerable amount of jealousy (got to love humans for what they are). I bet Mr. Bob looks back on that with some amazement and maybe a bit of jealousy himself?

So, back to East Finchley, and Raymond Douglas Davies,

(one of the places of reflection when I was a youth http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/wi ... cape1.html
just thought I would share)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I post the following video to help explain why I talk of Bobby Dee when sorting my visit to East Finchley. It is because Raymond Douglas represents the alter Ego of Bobby Dee. They both wear masks and came from different points of view but they spoke of the same things. BD was more harsh and acted more as a mirror where RD was more poignant and illuminated from within. Bobby cut his ties and through away his past where RD rejoiced in his past but they both looked to the future. or maybe I am just full of s#@t!

anyway, I don't know how this might help explain what I am trying to say, maybe it is because I see this guy as Bob's true predecessor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTETsg4F ... ed&search=

i will stop wonderin aloud now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.davidbyrne.com/media/america_waits.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

thanks for sharing the scenic pics. i remember a place where the sheep wore bells...i loved the sound of the bells...and an aromatic plant that would release into the air with each step, i would guess to be in the basil family (?) i don't really know...and a nearby creek, ice cold you can believe on a hot day, clothes and all, would be made full use of...

i have a head cold and have been drinking a lot of tea...what do you expect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

Get well soon with your cold. Prayers just said for ya & vibes sent...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I once heard John Lennon say:

That has been my hang up you know continually trying to be like Shakespeare or whatever it is………….Those people picked up paint brushes, and Van Gogh probably wanted to be Renoir…

I once heard Bob Dylan say:

Them not busy being born is a busy dying
Or
Looks like it’s a dying and it’s hardly been born

I once heard Billy Shakes (spear) say:

Heavy matters, heavy matters!...Thou met’st with things dying, I with things newborn.

I heard somebody sing into the dark of night one time:

Ezekial saw a wheel, way in the middle of the air
Ezekial saw a wheel, way on up in the middle of the air
And the little wheel run by faith
And the big wheel run by the grace of God
Was a wheel within a wheel
Way in the middle of the air

Strange ……. Dreams …….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4cFIjqd ... ed&search=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjAKJ3z0BdU

i think this fits where I thought i was

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:08 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i recognize that clip (i think) from the hard traveling doc. that may not be exactly relevant to what you're saying, i'm just saying...i think somewhere in there arlo discusses the famed guthrie hole which was the foundation of a building left behind... that is what i'm picturing anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i think i got my docs mixed up...i know i saw that exact clip somewhere...i remember the bats!
even if i was skeptical...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

maybe this is what i was thinking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BbePYN ... ed&search=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

or some Fort Worth Jams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHTdc36627k&NR

That Texas Jazz can get radical!

(if you can handle more hit the Last Exit, I remember hearing Bill Cosby say he always wished he could have seen Jimi Hendrix and Sonny Sharrock play together but I always think of Sharrock playing with Larry Coryell on Memphis Underground by Herbie Mann)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:08 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HdwkwJ-Rk4

no this is where i was, pissed as a fart with meat pie and chips on my breath and stumbling intot he bald face stag for the pre party for the Kontroversy, now I recall. The plan little bar and the crowd in the pub area passing folios of Kinks songs and sing alongs and the barmaid yelling out David Watts Hey as she filled a pint with Bombadier Ale. I recall Pete smiling and shaking hands with theose people who look on Ray as a rock and roll God and the tunes I have recalled all my life it seems filling my ears and moving my feet. What makes Ray somebody I would travel so far for this silly experience....because he is an ordinary man whose songs were abut ordinary people, a guy (and group) who were honest about what they are and where they come from and created portraits of that world. I mean, jesus christ, the only thing that Muswell Hill and Oklahoma City have in common I now know is the people, the same goofy bunch live in both places, and I know that because Ray wrote about them and I asked Pete late in the evening if he though t Ray was a Folksinger, I mean I asked if he thought Ray was the English Folksinger of his generation and Pete said very profoundly "yes" and I asked what song do you think demonstrates that the most?

and he said

She's bought a hat like Princess Marina's
To wear at all her social affairs
She wears it when she's cleaning the windows
She wears it when she's scrubbing the stairs
But you will never see her at Ascot
She can't afford the time or the fare
But she's bought a hat like Princess Marina's
So she don't care

He's bought a hat like Anthony Eden's
Because it makes him feel like a Lord
But he can't afford a Rolls or a Bentley
He has to buy a secondhand Ford
He tries to feed his wife and his family
And buy them clothes and shoes they can wear
But he's bought a hat like Anthony Eden's
So he don t care

Buddy can you spare me a dime
My wife is getting hungry
And the kids are crying
This poverty is hurting my pride
Buddy can you spare me, buddy can you spare me a dime

She's bought a hat like Princess Marina's
And her neighbors think it suits her a treat
But she hasn't any food in the larder
Nor has anybody else in the street
But to look at her you'd think she was wealthy
'Cos she smiles just like a real millionaire
'Cos she's bought a hat like Princess Marina's
So she don't care, she don't care, she don't care, she don't care

and Pete said he can picture her dusting the stairs in that hat and he said that song makes him think of the old ladies in his family when he was a kid pulling the photo albums and every page of their kids would have a picture of the corresponding appropriately aged young aristcrat kid and they would point out how they dressed the kids (theirs and the queens) in a similar fashion, it just gave them a fantasy world to live in!

and I can't recall but I know I was pissed as a fart when I left because there was still ale in the glass I sat on the bar as we were all singing out as loud as we could:

Victoria....Victoria...Victoria victoria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56olAaEdjfY

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.