Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

Post subject: New to the group W bench
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:52 pm

ArloNetizen

Location: Eastern North America from Key West to points north
Just saying hello and a short intro for myself.

Now it may be hard to believe but, I've been listening to Arlo's works since I joined the military (voluntarily) in the 1970's. I'm sure the regulars on the Group W bench may be shocked that someone with a militaristic background might even consider this as a viable place to learn new things. Well, I don't; hell it'll probably turn out to be much safer here than a Refugee Camp, the Balkans or my current position with a small Fire Department, let alone the highways and byways of our nation.

I'm not too much of an environmentalist, but I have removed fishing nets from coral heads around a small naval base on the southern Cuban coast while recreational Diving. Work to extingush brush and forest fires (to support military training). Probably the one thing folks forget is that fires help to renew forests by releasing nutrients back into the soil and aiding evergreen seeds to become free of their cones, but I digress.

I also have learned to modestly handle a small sail boat and find it a relaxing aspect to an otherwise all to fast a lifestyle. As for musical tastes, eclectic would be a start to describing what I listen to. Altho I am learning to play music now and that is proving a challenge. Possibly a stronger challenge than being politically correct, its easier to be polite than contrary to my nature, So I'll try to be polite.

So if you're ever in the lower Hudson Valley and hear a set of Bagpipes but find a Motorcyclist instead; Just sing a bar of Alice's Restuarant and join in. :)

Q.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hi, Q, and welcome!

Seems to me you've done some positive things in your life, and who am I to naysay your choice of occupation in the military. (Bottom line is, I believe we need at least some military - I'm just not happy with the orders from the Commander-in-Chief.)

I think that we can all learn from one another, and I'm glad you're here. You're not far at all from the Church - hope you'll stop in there one of these days. (I hear there may still be a few tickets for this weekend's Arlo shows - wish I could be there, but I won't until the next time around on the git-tar!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome, Q! I think you'll find here fellow ex-military folk from the 60s and 70s, and folks with kids who've been in the Middle East more recently. Lots of us are more to the left, but you'll find folks from all perspectives here. LOTS of Trekkies who will like your screen name, too--I do, anyway. Our beloved Webmaster's a Bushie, and so is Cheryl H., though most of us definitely are not. We exchange opinions, but as long as you're willing to listen as well as talk, you should find this a good place to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:56 pm

ArloNetizen

Ah politics being what it is, i can only go with the best definitiion of the word I ever came across.

Poli meaning many and Tics are small blood sucking insects. Put the bits together and you get Bush (1&2), Clinton, Gore and many many more.

As for myself I'm less than generous about decribing politicians. After all America's most beloved and all the honest ones have one thing in common, a stone monument over their heads.

I may well come off a little right of center but not sofar as to make Donald Rumfeld seem as likeable as Shirley Temple when she was a child movie star. Nor do I equate the Clinton's with the evil incarnate of many other right wingers. Maybe about as trustworthy as Richard Nixon was when he was persuing his second term in the Oval office. :roll:

But old Hobs himself can come across as sweet as spring flowers when he desires something bad enough. And Hobs has an agenda too. :wink:

So, there I am. stuck in the middle of being human with opinions and frailties like everyone else. Only I'd rather kick the politicians to the gutter than senior citizens. Well in VP's case I'd make an exception. Him I kick for the pleasure it would give. :)

So now you've got a little more of my personality.

So good night, Its getting on the start of a new day and past my normal crash time.
Q

Post subject: We got all kinds here
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:52 am

Senior ArloNetizen

If you'd like a ride to the Hootenanny some Thursday, let me know.

kurt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site! It's nice seeing new people come on here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:13 pm

ArloNetizen

Thanks for the welcomes and offer.

This Thursday I'll be going across the river for Irish Night; It comes around based on a lunar calendar so some months it'll come twice and some months not at all. First Thursday after the full moon. It is sort of like a hoot but with Accordian players, Bodhran beaters, Mandolin players, Fiddlers a Harpist and the occasional Bagpiper thrown into the mix. The music is good although sometimes the play list is repetitious and when the trains roll by it gets hard to hear the music.

During the summer when the weather accomodates the event is held outside, and in the middle of winter standing room only and you'll be hard pressed (in more ways than one) to get to where you can hear the music or order a beer. There is no hard liquor served, just beer and softer beverages.

As for the musical instuments brought to bear, Banjos, African Drums Bass and 6 or 12 string guitarsroll in and out Kazoos have been seen and heard as well (Usually the more senior deviants produce those classical instruments). And the proprietor of the shop where all this happens has been know to warble a tune in his native Brough as well.

Later this summer or early into the fall I'll be checking event schedules and wandering about. But for now, I'm slowly working on rewiring my sail boat and shrugging off my major responsibilities.

Cheers
:) Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

when i think of a bodhran, i think of only one person...shane macgowan!
who i was introduced to by someone around here, and thanks to him i am now madly in love with shane (well you know what i mean i guess)...thank you very much psb, that is just what i need!

anyway, here ya go
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PDoaiAaMeK4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:17 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome, Q. The folks here are pretty cool and about the nicest I've come across on the web. From day one, I thought of this and it's sibling Arlo sites as sort of a virtual Cicely, Alaska (the mythical town from the TV show "Northern Exposure"). Every one's a bit eclectic, maybe a little off the center of normal (that's a good thing, in my book), but pretty much all good people.

Always wanted a set o' pipes, meself. I worked with a young fellow who's a piper. He said the neighbours complained when he practiced so he'd have to take to the woods.

Capt'n Zap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:51 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome Q. People here are really great, they make room for all kinds of ideas and opinions. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:46 pm

ArloNetizen

:D Welcome Q....I agree with Cheryl, We really are an awsome bunch! if I do say so myself :wink: Noone else quite like us on the web...now, is that a good thing or a bad thing? I think it's pretty great, but I'll let you decide for yourself :lol:

Happy posting
Rose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:50 pm

ArloNetizen

:) again, thanks for the welcomes.
Capt'n Zap, the pipes can be awesome or awful depending upon the skill and or sobriety of the musician. After several beers, tis best to leave the pipes encased regardless of skill level. But it does annoy or entertain the people staying at the motel next to where I crash.

Cheryl, Thanks, I try to maintain an open mind to differing views and ideas. But somedays well Bullheaded would be a nice way to describe my stuborness on some issues.

Rosie, :lol:

Well, I'll check the boards for a bit before turning in for the night. Every one have a safe 4th and easy week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

SFC_Q wrote:
:) somedays well Bullheaded would be a nice way to describe my stuborness on some issues.

I resemble that remark!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:43 am

ArloNetizen

Ah, last night was different; between folks being squemish of the rain, New faces of a few classically trained Violinists (2 adults and 3 minors) up from NYC and the regulars urging everyone one to get outside between light drenchings and heavy drizzles.

I understand that a bit of water can adversly affect the tuning of a fine stringed instrument, but hey when a modest crowd attempts to fill a space not much larger than a Living Room of a home built in the 1960's I'll take a cooling rain any evening into the wee hours of the morning anytime.

The local rowdies ah Regulars took up position on the docks under a tarp and took to playing various different bits (Garry Owen, Going Home, Stairway to Heaven etc on Bagpipe and Guitar) while the more traditionally inclined musicians inside where playing the scottish small pipes, Button accordian, bajo and guitar with roundels of well worn tunes.

Not that there is any chance of the event resembling Bob Dylan going Electric at the Newport Jazz Fest some years ago. But we do have our bit of fun.

Cheers.
Q

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:22 am

Senior ArloNetizen

You'll let us know where this is once you start running low on participants, natch. :)

kurt...