Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

Forum rules

Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:57 am

The W!zard

Found these online... anyone want to try and format these as straight text? Anyway, just thought people might enjoy having these as well:

Streets of Laredo and St. James Infirmary

So, do they sound pretty close???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Dave: GrEAT!!! Sts. of Laredo is my kind of song... ( I still have to figure out the Dm but I'll get it)... 8)

It's one of those songs, I can just strum on guitar, and it sounds okay.... It's an easy song to sing. Any song that tells a story, makes it easy for me to memorize also..... & this song tells a story.....

St. James Infimary is a tad harder.... but it sounds okay..... But then again, it's me that's hearing it.... Practic, practice.....

Thanks Dave..... It made my day!!

Rob

If there was an internet when I was a kid, I'd be a real guitar player. I never knew I could play most of "After the Goldrush" ontill I saw it on-line....

Folk-on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:57 am

Arlo Fanatic

Surprizingly good.... I woke up, and started fiddling with Sts. Of Laredo... Cut to the chase of my story. Last Xmas, my wife, bought me a really nice guitar... Lil blonde Fender Accoustic. ( NO, NO plug ins....) Pretty nice sounding guitar. I have to be in the 'zone' to tune the damn thing. I get easily frustrated sometimes, when outta tune, and it compromizes my playing...

But I woke up, and it was fairly in tune. Making it MUCH easier, to get the thing REALLY in tune.....

After playine the chords to that old Folk tune, I thought , Jesus, this really does sound good. Not so much good, as right. It sounded right... It was then and only then, I noticed * Capo on 4..... I had had the capo on the 4th fret just by ear... As I had fiddled with the sound in my head... ( ears

I guess I shouldn't of been surprized. But I was... Write it down on your calendar guys. It's not everyday, Rb wakes up and does something right, without even knowing about it..... LOL

This is surely a campfire song. & I'd of never of believed it, but abstaining from smoking, has inhanced my ability's...... Whoda thunk it....

* But I'm gonna have to learn to find an inexpensive guitar tuner, one that's made for dummies.... I tune by ear, and grass always sorta helped me keep my guitar in tune.... But it actually messes up the learning process some, I'm finding....

Time will tell. Or timelessness will tell....

Either way, Thanks again Dave for posting these Chords & lyrics...

Piece out/ Rob :idea:

ps: reading Arnie's mind. If only it would help Rob's spelling..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:52 pm

The W!zard

Ok, I've put these online in the tablature section - let me know if there are any errors in my transcription.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:25 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Thanks Dave. Check out Heptune (www.heptune.com ?) Vintage jazz lyrics page for tons of stuff (just lyrics though...you have to figure out the chords the old fashioned way...with your ear...like we used to do before the internet,...etc.) including a link to a vintage Betty Boop cartoon with Cab Calloway singing St James and various parts of the meaning of the song revealed through the very surreal cartoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Rob, for about $29 you can get a really nice Intellitouch IMT-500 electronic tuner...it clips onto the headstock of your guitar, and make your life a lot easier. It's got a backlight for tuning in dim light, and it's easy to see when you've got a string in tune, with or without a capo. They've got 'em at www.elderly.com if your local music store doesn't have 'em. It will have you tuning by sight, just like the folkslinger!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

dear sue: tx for the heads up. the guy i'm jammin with now, uses a guitar tuner, and has no problem. it doesn't sound as convenient (sp ck) as the one you describe tho. But he tunes my guitar in seconds flat. Luckily it stays that way for long periods.

I'll have to mention this device to Petey, as he knows how gadget ignorant i can be. :idea:

tx again sue, as xmas is just around the corner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:59 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I think the folkslinger tunes the old fashioned way, with his ear, the way all of us had to learn to before gizmo's like the tuners were invented. Get your self an A-440 pitch fork. Wack the thing on your heel and place on the box...match your A and go from there....developing your ear is a skill you will never regret putting the effort into....you can't stop and use your tuner if a string slips in the middle of a song....or you switch capo positions. Last summer Ritchie Havens broke a string in the middle of a song....he re tuned by ear while still playing and finished the song with five strings !! You see the stars today with a guitar for every song brought out by the tech...they don't even have to use a tuner..(Arlo teleprompter story)...Arlo had about 5 guitars on the solo tour...only used 2...mostly the killer martin he has...tuned the whole night by ear/harmonics. Whether you guitar stays in relative tun eor not depends on the condition of the machine heads (tuners), how the strings are wound, and how much temperature/humidity change punishment in gets put through. Many guitar web sites have instruction on tuning by harmonics, it's much faster that any tuner and more effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:55 am

Arlo Fanatic

Uh, Kevin...on the floor, behind the monitor where he can see it, Arlo has a tuner. He doesn't depend on it because he's got good ears, but it's there if a guitar has decided to be difficult because the room temperature changed, the humidity changed, whatever. It takes less time to rough tune with the tuner when you're up there and people are looking at you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:21 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo has CLEARLY stated MANY times that he tunes by sight! Ear......balderdash! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I think, I thought, I saw. I've learned to tune by ear, ( without the aid of the miricle drug, cannabis sativa, or the better format of Indica ) but have found, that my friend using a tuner, ( which he seems to prefer ) speeds up the process....

And then there was sound.....

Funny story about Jimi Hendrix ( and what does that have to do with Arlo some say) ( well they were both played at Woodstock. Does that count)?

Anyhow, when Jimi's grandmother, had her 90th birthday, she was interviewed by the press. When asked about her Grandson, the musician, she only had two things to say. ( which she repeated a time or two)

Yes, my grandson was a talented musician. But, for the life of me, "That Boy Could NOT sing". Couldn't even hold a tune... But he sure could play the guitar. Yes, he sure could play that thing....

in retrospect, that's a good analogy of Elizebeth Cotten.... She wrote allot of great songs. Played guitar backwards ( as like Hendrix she was left handed ) and she did play proliphically.... But her voice sorta sounds like my blender, when it's acting up....

Funny youtube footage, of her playing for Pete Seeger.... You can tell Pete's so into, the intracate finger picking, of the song 'Freight Train' and when she starts to sing the song, he gets that look on his face, like when your drunk brother in law, starts singing at a wedding... funny stuff.

* For the record, I really enjoy elizebeth cottens songs, and her storys as well. She's a great story teller.... and seemingly a catalyst in the folk music scene...

RB