Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:26 am

Senior ArloNetizen

[quote="PSBeaty"] My problem is that sounds a bit like Hermann Goring on a stand in Nuremberg denying his role in the deaths of millions. Decisions made for the greater good might have been harsh but I did not personally get involved. The question is, can you dissociate yourself?

He was afterall found guilty on all counts and sentenced to die by execution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

PSBeaty wrote:
It was playing in the background while I was typing.

i think it is a beautiful song...that's right i do!!

of course that is just what i think, not trying to push my opinion on anyone, i am just saying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I have always thought it a beautiful song, you should hear it with Jerry Garcia's Pedal Steel Guitar playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

PSBeaty wrote:

Larry, I think Lao Tzu beat you to the Theory of Self (or at least it is my interpretation).

At birth a person is soft and yielding
At death stiff and hard
All beings, the grass, the trees
Alive, soft, yielding
Dead, stiff, hard

I don't know. If we strive to keep soft and bendable (not so much yielding) as we get older, we will continue to grow in spirit. I think this is possible, but it takes effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

cheryl wrote:
PSBeaty wrote:

I don't know. If we strive to keep soft and bendable (not so much yielding) as we get older, we will continue to grow in spirit.

As long as it don't include my 51 year old hockey playing knees, I think I'm with you .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
cheryl wrote:
PSBeaty wrote:

I don't know. If we strive to keep soft and bendable (not so much yielding) as we get older, we will continue to grow in spirit.

As long as it don't include my 51 year old hockey playing knees, I think I'm with you .

Stretchins good for ya! I sure thought you'd have known that since your a tutu wearin person and all.

But I'm talkin mostly about how we think about things. There's only a few things worse than a constipated brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:49 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

uh oh... Once you bring up constipation, its bound to get messy. Can Larry resist? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:50 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yes I can. Bathroom jokes are so sophomoric........ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Larry wrote:
Bathroom jokes are so sophomoric........ :D

Sophomoric

Hey I don't Bad Mouth Your Religion :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Arlo Fanatic

myland2 wrote:
Larry wrote:
Bathroom jokes are so sophomoric........ :D

Sophomoric

Hey I don't Bad Mouth Your Religion :!:

Myland 2 scored one! Can Larry mount a comeback? THe Gallery is silent, waiting, anticipation, the pressure is on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:24 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Come on Larry! Surely you have sagacious advice about constipation of the brain that makes us all smile! I promise I will not hold you to any Sophmoric line. Anyway.. is not that a subset of Smartassism?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:21 am

Arlo Fanatic

cheryl wrote:
PSBeaty wrote:

Larry, I think Lao Tzu beat you to the Theory of Self (or at least it is my interpretation).

At birth a person is soft and yielding
At death stiff and hard
All beings, the grass, the trees
Alive, soft, yielding
Dead, stiff, hard

I don't know. If we strive to keep soft and bendable (not so much yielding) as we get older, we will continue to grow in spirit. I think this is possible, but it takes effort.

It is my hatred and intolerance to the hatred and intolerance of others that is causing my mind to harden.

So, going back to my boy Lao, he says:

THe soft overcomes the hard
the gentle overcomes the rigid
everyone knows this is true
but few can put it into practice

Ok, I am open for interpretations. I suppose Gandhi must have had an I Cheng stashed somewhere but had he tried to be Gandhi with Nazi's he would have been part of a rain of ashes upon the fields of Poland! It is like an imaginary sstruggle with a shape shifter as well. There is another Lao thing, oh wait its the same one, it says

Nothing in the world
is as soft and yielding as water
yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible
nothing can surpase it

Well to me nothing in the world is as soft and flexible as theism. It is like this great ocean of fundamental hoodoo (or Tradition, the tradition of Moses, Jesus and Muhammed or of White, Black, Red and Yellow), and in themselves they seem harmless enough but they flood out in a thousand manifestations each with its own peculiarity and many intolerant and inflexible. It is like when they start pouring out on humaity they start hardening into a super frozen ice that is more rigid than stainless steel. Everybody is right from their side and that seems to just make it one big wrong.

So I turn the page and Lao says

Failure is an oppurtunity
If you blame someone else
there is no end to the blame

therefore,
correct your own mistakes
do what needs to be done
demand nothing of others

HMM. Well, mu tradition is protestant. There is a tradition of saying no thank you but I will try this over here for awhile. THere seems a great problem as this type of approach has led to the thousand different paths that have hardened into intolerance. So, I personally reject it all as excess baggage, a load I don't want to carry!

sorry, just dreaming on and on,
Have a Nice Day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

I think Lao might have missed one of the best pieces of advice and philosophy I ever heard, but I guess those guys can't think of everything.
It goes like this: " Don't follow leaders, watch your parking meters". Advice that once caused me to have an ephiphany and also can have a laxative effect on a constipated brain.

Ok MG, short of drilling a hole in your head, some of the best cures for brain constipation include listening and not talking and absorbing without thinking as this allows for the Muse to do her thing.The thinking and talking will come later. Another method is to roll a big Bob Marley joint with the page of the Sunday New York times that has the crossword puzzle.
Another more extreme measure would be to go to the upcoming republican national convention and beat your head against a wall.
If it works, it will scare hell out of 'em, because things tend to go into heads there without really coming out. They will be flabergasted.
If all else fails, try pouring Ex-Lax in your ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Larry wrote:
Another more extreme measure would be to go to the upcoming republican national convention and beat your head against a wall.
If it works, it will scare hell out of 'em, because things tend to go into heads there without really coming out. They will be flabergasted.

Now i have this vision of me at the RNC standing in an areana hallway, like the ones that led to the locker rooms, bashing my head against the wall!!

That is extreme, but my favorite of your suggestions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:18 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
I think Lao might have missed one of the best pieces of advice and philosophy I ever heard, but I guess those guys can't think of everything.
It goes like this: " Don't follow leaders, watch your parking meters". Advice that once caused me to have an ephiphany and also can have a laxative effect on a constipated brain.

I do not concern myself with gods and spirits either good or evil nor do I serve any.
and
A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.

both by
Lao Tzu

I have not seen mention of parking meters!