Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: 32¢ Postage Due
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:47 am

The Folkslinger

About 10 years ago I sat down with my old friends, The Dillards in Branson, MO and spent a few days recording some of my father's songs together. We tried to do too much in too short a time and my voice turned to gravel after the 3rd day. But we were having so much fun we just kept playing. Eventually we took the tapes home and tried to mix it all into a recording.

In those days we were recording on A-Dat format and had a number of A-Dat machines running in sync to record everything. When we got home we discovered that the machines were not quite as in sync as we'd thought, and my son Abe (our engineer) spent the better part of a year trying to remove the cracks and pops (digital artifacts) that were everywhere throughout the songs. By the time we got done the songs had lost much of their original feeling. There didn't seem to be any way of fixing the problems so we put it in the 'we'll get to it' list of things to do.

As newer technology developed during the following years we thought we'd give it another shot. We were able to clean it up considerably but then we started listening and there were more problems. So we shelved it again and a few more years went by.

Then one day I was walking around the house and my wife, Jackie was playing the songs from the project. I hadn't heard it for years and I thought it sounded better than I had remembered. So I called Abe and asked him to start working on it again. I had plans to do a year-long solo tour and figured he could work on it while he was home and I was out on the road.

By this time everyone who knew of the project had given up hope of ever hearing it. But, Abe kept at it, cleaning the tracks, separating the songs, all the stuff you do in the studio. Eventually my daughter Sarah Lee got involved and started working with Abe. She liked hearing all the talk and goofing off we were doing in the studio when we recorded it. And she began picking the songs that worked together best - creating a less formal recording then I'd originally planned.

When I got back from the Solo Reunion Tour, they presented me with the recording and I told them to 'put it out.'

The resulting CD is not like the usual stuff we do. There are inherent problems with the sonic clarity, voices fading in and out, instrumentals where nobody is playing anything special, but it's all real. It's just The Dillards and me goofing off a decade ago singing and picking some of my father's most loved songs. Maybe there's a place for this somewhere. We decided not to try to 'fix' it but rather to let it ride. This isn't The Dillards at their best. Not me at my best either. It's just what it was for a few days a long time ago.

If you ever wondered what it's like to just sit around a few microphones with some good friends singing and picking for the hell of it, this is for you.

Thanks to Rodney, Doug, Dean and Mitch - THE DILLARDS and thanks to Abe and Sarah Lee for getting this out there. This record was originally planned for when the US Post Office released a Woody Guthrie stamp worth 32¢. It's long over due. If you want it go to the RSR website store - http://www.risingsonrecords.com/

By the way, RSR is also having a poster sale that's fairly amazing. Really. When they say 'sale' they mean it. I don't know when the sale is over... but it won't last long.

Post subject: Re: 32$ Postage Due
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

32$(dollars) Postage Due Mr. Folkslinger?? The economy is worse off than I thought! :D

Post subject: Re: 32¢ Postage Due
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:14 pm

The Folkslinger

Inflation is one thing - typos another...

Thanks for the heads up :)

adg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:01 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Location: Ridgecrest, California (South of Lone Pine, North of LA)
Don't let Arlo shortchange (pun intended) this CD! It's a wonderful album, personable and authentic. Larry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

Will be getting this at Bethesda, MD in Nov. Can't wait... :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
Inflation is one thing - typos another...

Thanks for the heads up :)

adg

No problem. I was not sure if you were simply a man ahead of your time or if it was a typo. I was hoping for the later of course. And since Dave made me a "Global Moderator", I figured it was part of my job. Although if I was a REAL Global Moderator.....we would not be in Iraq and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:42 am

ArloNetizen

Arlo
It was worth the wait. A great CD, I've been listening to it everyday since it arrived! Great job by those young producers, way to go! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Now that Postage Due has been released and some of us have it, what do you think of it?? Any favorite songs?

My favorite song, at least today, is "Ship in the Sky".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 am

ArloNetizen

The Sinking of the Ruben James. Always loved this is a great version

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

you could just about say...
it was worth the wait...
one of a kind... thanks... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I love it!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I just got home and found my copy of 32 cents waiting for me---what a gift--- Thanks Arlo!!! I listened to it with my daughters, and they went nuts when "Ship in the Sky" played. "You used to sing that song to us when we were little!", they both yelled. They even remembered most of the words! Yep, raised up on Woody my little blunderbabes were. I especially loved "Grand Coulee Dam" and this super-upbeat version of "So Long.....". The obvious good time Arlo and the Dillards were having while recording these songs spills out all over the record. Thanks again!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:52 am

Arlo Fanatic

Guess what was in the mail box when I got home this evening? (I live a LONG way away remember)

Listening to it now. It's ALL good. :D Worth waiting so long for.

HEY! now that adg has finally paid us the "32cents postage due" after ALL THESE YEARS what are we gonna stir him about now?? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I can't wait, but I am. I'll pick mine up at the church in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 am

The W!zard

For those who already have the CD, I've just added it to the discography. Head on over there and give it a review when you get the chance!