Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I met this person recently in passing. I could not help but wish I had been introduced instead by perhaps Arthur C. Clark, Stanley Kubrick or even perhaps a Hal 9000 computer. If this had been the case, I would perhaps have less burning questions than I do now. Of course, I know a little, which whets my appetite for more knowledge.
This much I do know. I met the most unique person in the world.
This person is human, but like none you have ever known.
This person may be a mutant or perhaps the next step in human evolution, which of course is the same thing.
The person I met has a gender, but is neither male or female or any morphing or combination of the two.
This makes it hard to even mention this person in normal conversation, because there is no pronoun that one can call a person that is a unique gender.
This person is capable of procreation, but I have no idea how.
This person appears "normal" , but has senses that I don't understand.
This person can see sounds and hear colors.
This person can taste music and feel light, not heat or radiation mind you, but light.
This person can see emotions and can understand all languages and even speaks one unique to.......I can't call this person him, or her. You see, it's difficult to talk about this person Perhaps we should invent a pronoun for this person using limited human terms. I shall refer to this person as "shim". Not that "Shim" is an accurate term, and I don't wish it to be confused with a morphing of "she" and "him", but for our limited human understanding I'll consider it to be workable.
So, if anyone else has also met shim, I'd like to hear from you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I would have thought AT LEAST PSB and agnes would have run into this person. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:25 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Larry, are all the molecules connected in this person? :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:28 am

Arlo Fanatic

So far as I know.
( I can't understand how I could put something SO strange here and not get response........it's SO unblunderlike) :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

all I can say, is Larry, you can't live much more than a few hours away, lets meet up cause that is some seriously good stuff you got there!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

You mean the story or the chemicals?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Right, now we are on the same page!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

One of us should be worried. I'm not sure which. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

What page are you guys on? I'm on page 147....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

...i have been fighting a head cold since friday i think...last night i was watching a documentary about glaciers and had to turn it off...my sinuses are howling...my paranoia has kicked up a notch...i am afraid if i say vermillion red it will be taken to mean podunk!...i guess...i don't know...this is not helping much...but it is like i said, everytime i close my eyes, i see balloons! you understand, don't you?!

don't look at me! that is just what it says on the note that was pinned to my sweater!?

i would like you to say "hi!" for me though!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:

i would like you to say "hi!" for me though!

I thought YOU might know "shim"? I only met shim once.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i don't! but this sounds like someone i wouldn't turn away from!...not the first inclination anyway...which puts them smack along with everyone else i suppose!

you can not tell what is in a person's heart just by looking at them

a generalization...overly simplified i suppose...?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:10 am

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
This person appears "normal" , but has senses that I don't understand.
This person can see sounds and hear colors.
This person can taste music and feel light, not heat or radiation mind you, but light.

Now of course being the reductionist humanoid that I am I have to look at this description and determine what degree of uniqueness this being seems to be. Now, being that I am a sensory person, one who likes to extract all I can from the environment around me, I immediately focus on your comments on senses and perceptions. At this time just focusing on the physical realm as the subsequent lines about emotions etc etc etc obviously requires combinations of physical perceptions and arraying and analyzing those perceptions in a time frame to make such a determination (a kinetic analysis, well, that is how it seems to me from my limited humanoid reductionist perspective).

Okie Dokie, and here we go....

"This person can see sounds and hear colors."

I actually found this to be neither novel nor unique as I strive to see sounds and hear colors. I truly believe this capability of seeing sounds and hearing colors has been a characteristic trait of humans since the current humanoid brain began many millennia ago and possibly even before. However, it is not the normal perception as described by such great lines as "In the cold grey light of dawn". The human perceiving in the cold grey light of dawn has his perception gear focused on reality! The best visual image of a human seeing sounds and hearing colors that I can present to other humans in an attempt to communicate my own ability to process sounds and colors comes from the movie Amadeus. It is actually the deathbed scene of that perverse creature Amadeus describing his vision (note vision) of the sounds of his Lacrimosa in his unfinished Requiem (I love that Lacrimosa and once I was in a music store in Baltimore called AN Die Musik owned by a couple of Japanese fellows holding a copy of the Requiem in my hand by St Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble and Choir when none other than Neville Mariner walked in the store...Well you can imagine my shock at the cosmicness of it all....surely it was not just some crazy marketing gimmick...well it worked and I was happy to buy that CD and get Neville to sign it...he actually had a wonderful sense of humor...oh well

"This person can taste music and feel light, not heat or radiation mind you, but light."

Again these lines don't distinguish this being as being non human...Because the taste and light sensors the human is equipped with are actually quite adaptable and the perception of tasting music and feeling light as even part of the physical process of sensing these inputs is easily developed by the human brain...there are certain compounds in the world that when ingested can help teach the human how to develop these types of perceptions...of course the heat and radiation comments are just Larry trying to be Coyote, the trickster, as heat and radiation are jut other manifestations of energy and assuming this being inhabits this universe then the physical environment that constrains its form are the same as the physical environment that constrains our forms...Larry, why are you messing with my head,,,,you know when you are in that cosmic realization mode and that Coyote comes along and messes with your head...I hate that....

Another human reference for feeling light (there are literally billions and billions) is to go to a Van Gogh or Dali Exhibit preferably while listening to some perception stimulating music and a nice touch but not necessarily necessary....well, if you can find Cactus buttons from the Rio Grande Valley..eat a few of those about 2 to 3 hours before you are actually standing in front of Starry Starry Night or The Perception of Time while listening to something like The Ecstacy; Seduction of the Bear Father by Terry Riley or Sri Moonshine from John Adams Dharma at Big Sur...

Well, if you can't taste music and feel light at a time like that
then you are not human!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 am

Arlo Fanatic

Ahhh....but the person I met IS human. I never said anything to the contrary. The question remains.......have you met this person? Or, perhaps, ARE YOU this person? :shock: PSB, I knew that adding you and agnes(along with myself) to this topic would be strange and wonderful for the readers.
In the same sort of sense that being a fly on the wall listening to a group conversation between Einstein, Yogi Berra, Freud, Timothy Leary, George Carlin, Bob Dylan and Bart Simpson would leave one with the feeling that you were listening to stuff that made logical, total and perfect sense about something in some way without knowing what or how.
My sense (or lack thereof) tells me that "shim" would be bored to death listening to the above described conversation and would find the entire group sophomoric and pedestrian.