Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Personally, this pandemic alert is doing me a favor. The guy my husband works with had a Mexican vacation planned for the weekend of my sister's wedding, leaving Michael on call. Now he's cancelled the trip leaving us free to party.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

If drinking a hot lyquid alone caused throat cancer, I'd of had radiation therapy by now. Altho getting older has lowered my caffeine intake, I used to inhale the stuff ( black coffee not tea ) for over a decade. Working construction, most of our bosses gave us a 10 minute morning coffee break. We'd inhale our coffee, smoke 3 - 5 ciggarettes, and back to work.....

One boss, who I stuck with for 5 yrs. was so cheap he made instant coffee.... For those of you that drink instant, boiling water is VERY hot. ( no dip ) My friend and I used to have contest, to see who could drink more cups in that 10 minutes, of unadulterated time, not working..... ( course the donutes made it slide down quicker )

I don't advocate drinking boiling water, as it can burn your throat.... but cancer.... Tommorro it will be something else, totally outta the realm, that causes this dreadfull sentence. As someone previously mentioned. We're here for a good time, not a long time. Not to hurry things up or nuthin...

Dr. Rb :arrow: :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Living to die? Ok. Me? Living to pay bills for babies. Expensive pets.

The CDC courtesy of your tax dollars publishes all the numbers you need to see the pattern of infection. OTW, flu kills every year. We won't know for about a week how severe this flu is in the general population. It is spreading fast with low density today because it is airborne and so are its carriers. The effects of slow moving carriers (cars, buses, motorcycles) aren't being registered yet.

Works like this: this is a new strain, therefore, zero resistance in the population and no vaccine until fall and that without testing for side effects so risking a repeat of 1976. Schools are closed because of the density of the population and the concentration of cluster effects due to family relationships. Those act as transmission amplifiers.

A concern about this strain is the effects on young adults which is what they saw in 1918. This may initially simply be that younger samples move further faster.

In this forum, the average subscriber has few risks. Except one. :P

We've gone from two to 100 cases in 24 hours here locally, but it seems so far to be a mild flu not a flesheater.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the info! Glad to know he is doing well. I just saw where he edited his original post & I somehow missed it...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I vaccinate myself with at least one Arlo show per year.......so far it's been 100% effective against everything thrown at me, but only 99% effective against stuff that I throw at myself.......

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:00 am

Arlo Fanatic

Tha Hampton show should be good for whatever ails me. I hereby dedicate the show in advance to Mike. He said a coupla weeks before passing on that He was gonna be there at that show no matter what & wasn't gonna be out of the money he paid for the tix. Man, I so wish he could be there...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

News just in...

Swine flu virus starting to look less threatening By MIKE STOBBE, AP
posted: 18 MINUTES AGO...ATLANTA -The swine flu virus that has frightened the world is beginning to look a little less ominous. New York City officials reported Friday that the swine flu still has not spread beyond a few schools. In Mexico, very few relatives of flu victims seem to have caught the virus.
One flu expert says there's no reason to believe the new virus is a more serious strain than seasonal flu. And a federal health official said the new flu virus doesn't appear to have genes that made the 1918 pandemic flu strain so deadly.
It's too soon to draw any definitive conclusions about what this variation of the H1N1 virus will do. Experts say the only wise course is to prepare for the worst. But in a world that's been rattled by the specter of a global pandemic, glimmers of hope are welcome.
President Obama noted Friday that it's not clear that the swine flu outbreak will turn out to be any worse than ordinary flu.
"It may turn out that H1N1 runs its course like ordinary flus, in which case we will have prepared and we won't need all these preparations," Obama said.
But "we're taking it seriously," he said. Even if the flu turns out mild now, it could come back in a deadlier form during the normal flu season, he said.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the illness so far had proven to be "a relatively minor annoyance."
City health officials say they have found few signs that the local outbreak of swine flu is spreading beyond a few pockets or getting more dangerous. The city has 50 cases, the most of any city in the United States.
Dr. Peter Palese, a leading flu researcher at New York's Mount Sinai Medical School, said the new virus appeared to be similar enough to other common flu strains that "we probably all have some type of immunity."
"There is no real reason to believe this is a more serious strain," he said.
Also Friday, an official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the new swine flu virus lacks the genetic traits that made the 1918 pandemic strain so deadly.
CDC flu chief Nancy Cox said the good news is "we do not see the markers for virulence that were seen in the 1918 virus." Nor does swine flu virus have the virulence traits found in the H5N1 strain of bird flu seen in recent years in Asia and other parts of the world, she said.
"However, we know that there is a great deal that we do not understand" about the strength of the 1918 virus and others that caused serious illnesses, she said. "So we are continuing to learn."
Another CDC official, Dr. Anne Schuchat, said preliminary studies suggest that in U.S. households with an infected person, about a quarter of other family members are getting sick as well.
In some pandemics, the overall infection rate has been as high as 35 percent, Cox said.
She noted the CDC has entered the gene information for the new virus into databases that are publicly available.
"A lot of researchers around the world can begin to look at those gene sequences as well, in case they see something we haven't already seen," she added.
The global flu epidemic early last century was possibly the deadliest outbreak of all time. That virus also was an H1N1 strain — different from the H1N1 strain involved in the current outbreak — and struck mostly healthy young adults. Experts estimate it killed about 40 to 50 million people worldwide.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:43 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Two things keep my attention (beyond not getting it):

1. How intense will it be when it recurs in the fall?

2. Why the genetics are so odd? I know nothing other than what I read but Arlo is right about that. It is a mixed sequence including avian gene sequences and other variants of swine flu. That is odd. It bears some digging around.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:21 pm

ArloNetizen

An interesting perspective.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/ ... .insession

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:24 pm

ArloNetizen

Sorry y'all, link didn't work.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

wow .... yeah.. the real bug that's buggin me is this fear thing... turning around planes because someone is coughing???.... closing whole school districts???... locally because some Harvard Dental students may have it, they are closing not only the Dental school but the Medical school too... doctors hiding??....

what is this fear thing??... am I just noticing it, or are we thriving on stuff to panic about??.... alot is the media, but there are folks making wild decisions too...

i had a great doc (in GT. Barrington as it happened, a long time ago) who finally diagnosed me when so many others couldn't... probably saved my life a couple of times.... he always said... crank up those fevers (as Terry said)... that's your immune system working....bundle up get yourself warmer!!!... over 102 he said to call him... he hated the anti-virals and kept me off antibiotics with a vengeance...warned me forever away from flu shots.... and it all helped...

he always wondered why scientists studied sick people to figure out why they were sick instead of studying healthy folks to figure out how they stay healthy....

hmmmm...

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

They killed all the pigs in Egypt because it's called "swine flu", although you don't get it from pigs. Is George W. Bush working for Egypt now per chance? In fact I read today where pig farmers are concerned that pigs may catch it from humans, which may have a hint of truth. You simply can't make this shit up!
If they ever have a "Larry Flu", remind me not to visit Egypt.

Aptly named thread title adg. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hatchie ! :? :D

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I heard it said about a year ago around here (North Florida IS the deep South) that a black man would get elected president when pigs fly......first 100 days--BAM*--swine flu!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Flu virus ends up with mixed species markers because at some point, it jumped from wild birds to swine...and now it mutated again to infect people. The genetics for flu virus allows it to mutate easily, and that's why you get multi-species markers. It's not so much that people are playing with it, it's just a virus that mutates easily all on it's own without any human hands involved. Birds are the wild reservoir of flu virus, and what they're carrying now that is only infecting birds at this time can change and be infecting us in a few months. This is what happened in Asia with the Bird Flu in the last couple of years...wild birds had it, infected domestic birds, and then the virus mutated and started infecting human poultry farm workers.
The difference in this flu virus is that it went from birds to swine before it began infecting people.