Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:18 am

The Folkslinger

The end of the Lost World Tour is approaching quickly. It was scheduled to end at The Ark in Ann Arbor, MI but we've got to make up some gigs we missed when I was sick earlier this year. So, we're heading south.

We've added a benefit event for the Red Cross in Myrtle Beach, May 17th at The Alabama Theater, where they've had some terrible fires. I hope anyone near can make that event. As with most benefits they are providing food, lodging and pay for the crew (a reduced rate), and I donate everything (I don't take a cent). I mention this only to reassure anyone who has questions about these kinds of events, as to where the money goes. It's always good to ask questions these days.

After the few gigs down south, I head north for the annual Spring fund-raisers for the Church. Then I'm flying south to pick up my car to drive to Birmingham for a gig June 5th at Caldwell Park With The Alabama Symphony. That should be a lot of fun!

Talk about travelin' man.... I'm doing all the summer gigs solo, so everyone in the family gets a little break. See y'all somewhere... Going to be a good summer!

adg

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:02 am

Arlo Fanatic

June 5th in B'ham. Ok, now that is definitely close (about 90 minutes). Let's see if this is an outdoor or indoor event. Please keep us posted for any of the near solo gigs.

If you drive up or down 65, take a couple of hours and visit the Space and Rocket Center if you get the opportunity. The fellow who runs their publicity department is named Al Whittaker and he is an Arlo fan.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:11 am

Arlo Fanatic

Quote:
Folk hero Arlo Guthrie teams up with conductor Chris Confessore and the Alabama Symphony Orchestra to perform the Overture from "Candide," Shaker Variations from "Appalachian Spring," and Hoe Down from "Rodeo" along with selections spanning his 40+ year career such as "City of New Orleans," "Last Train," "Darkest Hour," and "Last to Leave."

Candide? Wow.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

ADG wrote: "Talk about travelin' man...."

What else would one expect from Woody's son who is A.K.A. "The Wanderin' Folkslinger"???
It IS gonna be a great summer!!! :D 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I already knew you were going there. Big Brother is watching you. ;) Seriously, it's called Yahoo alerts & I got it on one on you. I've been to Myrtle Beach a number of times. It's where Mike & I went on the first week of our honeymoon June 28, 1986. We always wanted to go back there together. I guess not. On the way down you'll want to stop at South of the Border in SC. A Mexican tourist attraction that's been there for yrs. There was a store in Myrtle Beach in 86 that sold 8-track tapes as well as used record albums. I dunno if it's still there as that was 1986. But if it's still there it's a must stop.

Make sure you see me at Hampton! I have some stuff of Mikes I want to give you. He would want you to have it. Have a good trip. Enjoy your trip to VA. See ya Sat...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 am

BlunderVirgin

Was at the show at The Ark last night in Ann Arbor. What a great time and fantastic performance by Arlo, Abe, the Burns Sisters and Arlo's band for this tour. Heard some new stories, loved the new hymn Arlo has written (has it been recorded yet?), sang a little "My Peace" with the crowd and really enjoyed the Burns Sister's rendition of St.Theresa's Prayer. In my life I have been blessed to see many great performers at The Ark. Arlo is pretty much at the top of my list. A great way to spend my 55th birthday! Thanks, Arlo. //Binger S.Winchell, Brighton, Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:22 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo vs Alabama Symphony Orchestra: It was a draw.

Good concert and despite the camera police, I managed a few blows against the empire. More tomorrow. It was a long drive.

Excellent 'slinger. A beautiful evening and a real good time!