Forums » Group W Forums » The Story Board

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:14 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Next thing you knew you had all this cool stuff !

I was able to resist, but did read the lyrics, you are right, they were incredible. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Cool stuff, but could you pay your bills???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:48 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Here it is, for those of us (like me) who were looking under M for My , it is under S for Sweet :!:

My Sweet and Bitter Bowl

I ride the fastest horse and ships;
I sip the sweetest warmest lips;
I deck myself with the prettiest clothes;
But my true love is frozen cold.

Those soldiers bold have tried of me;
Sailormen that sailed the sea;
Pioneers have broke my soils,
But my true love is frozen cold.

If you would open and raise my soul
If you would pass my gates and doors
If you'd unlock my frozen loves,
Just drink my sweet and my bitter bowl

Summer's lovers I have tried,
Fair weather soldiers in their pride;
The fat, the slim, the tall, the fair,
But none did comb my tangled hair.

When I do find my one of all,
I'll dance my joy and sing my call;
My mountain and tree will see us roll
To break these locks that chain my soul.

If my eyes tell you that you're this one,
My lifetime long and hungry one,
I'll kiss our key that brings you in
And I'll forget your greatest sin.

When I hold you warm in hand
And walk you through creation's land,
Love me like our easiest breeze
That kisses our sun in my windburnt trees.

This wild grass is our document;
This bed of leaves our free permit;
Our vow is laughed in lakes and pools,
Our wedding rings are dewdrop jewels.

For you I'll hunger most and worst;
You'll be my hottest driest thirst;
You are my fire that never dies;
My soul is in your hands and eyes.

I am your battles still to fight;
I'll be your roughest day and night;
I'll take from you your hardest sweat
And pay you in words not sung nor said.

Available on:

The Works
Jonatha Brooke

Words by Woody Guthrie
Music by Jonatha Brooke
Words © Copyright 2008 by Woody Guthrie Publications , Inc.
Administered by Bug Music

Contact The Publisher
Woody Guthrie Publications, Inc. administered by Bug Music
7750 Sunset Boulevard / Los Angeles, CA 90046
T: 323-969-0988 / E: buginfo@bugmusic.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:51 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

For you I'll hunger most and worst;
You'll be my hottest driest thirst;
You are my fire that never dies;
My soul is in your hands and eyes.

Who doesn't know someone who has brokered their soul?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

Jonatha Brooke is excellent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

cheryl wrote:
Cool stuff, but could you pay your bills???

I spend my money on things to enrich my mind. I assemble crap that makes my mind imagine things and keep it there where I can access it always. That bust of Woody fits right in! So I won't worry about paying for it.

I think about my favorite Woody Guthrie songs and this one here always bubbles to the top. I mean I know what was happening to him that created these lyrics but to me it just made him more perceptive about the limited amount of time we have and what we are capable of accomplishing. It makes me feel that if I don't start now trying to accomplish what I want to accomplish instead of always just trying to pay for my life and pushing so many things I want away for lack of time or possibly just because it is the easiest path, then the time will never come for those things.

One by one the teardrops fall as I write to you
One by one my words come falling on the page
One by one my dreams are fading in the twilight
One by one my schemes are failing fast away

One by one the flowers fade here in my garden
One by one the leaves are falling from the trees
One by one my hopes are vanished in the clouds dear
One by one like snowflakes melting in the breeze

One by one my hair is turning grey
One by one my dreams are fading fast away
One by one I read your letters over
One by one I lay them all away

One by one the days are slipping up behind you
One by one the sweetest days of life go by
One by one the moments stealing up behind you
One by one she’ll come and find not you or I

One by one I hear the soft words that you whispered
One by one I feel your kisses soft and sweet
One by one I hope you’ll say the words to marry
One by one to one by one forever be

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ced8o50G9kg

The time will soon be here i will no longer be asked to sustain the force of a hurricane and I can become a gentle breeze. The person I am will not be the same person in 5 years from now. You may not even recognize her. She is taking back her life .

My friends say, who will pay? and I look sideways as if to say, it is not a matter of money, it is the resolve that I have done what I set out to do , to be an independent woman with a career, now that career is coming to a close, and it is time for me to find the person who got lost in the race , once I peel back the layers of black suits. .It isn't a matter of - "oh, how nice for you"...to me it is much more serious, as if every organ in my body relied on this change.. I don't think I am going to die if I don't do this, but i cannot go on as it is.

My father raised us on a rich diet, but Daniel knew better, and so should I.
I dreamed of making money, but I was swindled by the banking industry.
I don't want to get a head anymore. Making money only got me in debt.

55 and 10 is all it took for me . It's time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"one by one"

"start simple"

sometimes it is hard to find the right words
gratitude here

"in words not sung nor said"

Last edited by agnes on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:50 pm

Arlo Fanatic

a little humour?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLso0ZBq ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

I love that movie!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I am incoherent tonight...dancin' shutters... there is no moon...comprehension?... way over yonder where they do do the boogie (umpa bump bump do do they boogie)...I wonder what they do when they do do the boogie and I wonder what I'm doing here?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

It’s June 21, the solstice is here, the solstice is here! The night air was so cool and fresh last night and I slept like a baby. I had a baby in the house yesterday. She is so new just born last December. It was a crazy day with a beautiful sunny sky then a sudden thunderstorm and a beautiful sky and a sudden thunderstorm just waving through like that. Little Elena, she loves to watch the wind blow the trees, just the swaying motion captivated her little mind and she would laugh and blow raspberries when she got excited. I put her down to warm her bottle and she is amusing herself rolling over and over (she just started this rolling over and I can see her crawling off soon). Then she gets mesmerized by the ceiling fan. Blowing raspberries and looking at the ceiling fan, what a life.

I woke up this morning with the birds. I love that cacophony thing and the worst thing about the solstice is the end of the birds singing in the morning. Their little ones will be keeping them too busy now to waste time singing to the approach of the sun. That is what kills me sometimes is that I don’t have time to enjoy the world around me the way I should. I want to sing at the sun. I like to just feel the world. I like to just sit still and breath and try to focus on what I can sense all around. Everything is new to a baby so swaying tree limbs in the sky is a wonder to behold. It takes me a while longer to achieve that sense of wonder that is hers with every minute.

I was laying there in bed this morning with the early light streaming in and illuminating the room. Just laying there listening to the birds. Just trying to let all the tension in my body subside into nothingness and observe the world (it is actually quite hard to do). So I started watching the ceiling fan. As I relaxed my muscles the cool sensation on my skin no longer made me reach for a sheet. Instead, I began to absorb it and I dreamed I could feel the coolness penetrating me, stimulating me, sending information to my head to sort out. Little bity itty bity guys sitting down there at the edges of my body in their little sensory rooms looking at the meters and saying “we need to report this to the brain”. Now, back at control central the brain is sending out do not disturb signals I am relaxing. These little guys in the sensory rooms are freaking because the cold is getting in but they can get their communication. They are trying to stimulate and not getting a response. They are on the edge, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes, all a buzz all a flutter.

So I am laying there all relaxed, I can sense these guys freaking out but I can’t relieve their anxiety. In fact I realize I kind of enjoy that excitement. I have this layer of sensation that I am feeling through secondary channels, I am ignoring the normal routes in the name of relaxation, these new channels are creating for me a different stimulation pattern, it is not the sensation of temperature but the sensation change, it is not cold or hot it is just different and it feels good and I begin to crave it. Of course the more you crave it the more you want to touch it and the more it takes you away from your relaxation that caused it. Intensity begins to build and your power to resist begins to crumble. Then you realize you are powerless and you reach that transition state between relaxation and tension. Uncontrolled muscle things happen and chemicals fire and you feel that, how did Anais Nin describe, that sensation of a little death. If you try you can sense it on your skin right now!

Mean while, back in my brain, I am getting a visual input as well. I am watching the spinning fan. The source of all this stimulation. It is whirring around and around and around. The blades mix with the light and they can’t be separated it is just a blur. I am watching intently as I relax my body and feel the cool on my skin. Then, like magic, the image of a single blade appears just for a second. Perfect, distinct, with crisp edges (I love to say crisp, crisp…I love that word), So naturally, it is time to experiment. How did that happen? Then I realize if I move my eyes relative to the movement of the blades I can get these images to appear reproducibly. Then I realize that if I move my eyes one way relative to the blades the crisp image appears at 2:00 in the circle. If I move a different way it appears at 6:00. If I move both ways cyclically I can get the image to switch back and forth. Then I realize if I use my peripheral vision instead, that the blades are there consistently but there position is random throughout the circle.

Then I hear a voice say, “you want me to put your coffee on” and I say…I would love a cup.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

as always, it is good to hear from you. part of what you were saying made me think back...just over twenty years ago...no air condtioning yet...i would come home from work and it was very hot. wearing the most comfortable thing i could think of, i would put in this...one of those wacky relaxing music cassettes with the floating piano notes and whimsical woodwinds i'd found somewhere, lay down on the floor and think, "cool" just "cool"...and i swear to you it worked!

it is the solstice! i miss the quieting bird songs too...but i still like to go out and see them...along with this critter or that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Back then we didn't have airconditioning either. Just an old A/C from the 50's in the den & another old A/C from the 50's in the guest room. And the one in the guest room didn't work anymore and the other didn't work so good, so fans it was. We had a big overhead industrial fan that cooled things off. You had to open the windows up every time you used it tho. My dad put ceiling fans int he den & bedrooms back in 86. Finally some yrs ago we got an A/C for the living room. We always had that & 2 fans going on in there...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

THe sun was out late last night. I stayed with it until about 9:30. We was partying, me and the sun. I got a call from Pete. He is going to see Roky Erickson in London. I said you know he is crazy. I said I wish I could go with him. I said I really need my friend to talk to. He said he needed to talk to me too, Phones don't quite cut it when you need to talk! THe sun was still up so I opened another beer and listened to a couple of more songs. Watchnig the birds and giant rabbits, I got the giant rabbits again. They ate my prettiest flowers but i can't hurt them! I was listening to this song by Jimmie Spheeris, how does it go...Love me without thinking it over, Love me like the sun loves clover...I thought that a cool line. The sun was still up so I opened another beer and sat in the back. The storms were all gone and the sky was blue and the breeze was cool and I felt pretty good. I had bent the hell out of my mower blade trying to mow the lawn between storms. It would dry up enough to mow and out I would run and mow and mow until the rain came again and crashed into an ornamental brick. It dug into the ground. It only took two trips to the store to get one that would work (pretty good for me!). The bent blade lays there next to the tree and I was looking at and just started singing that song "I aint broke but I am badly bent". Why do we like said songs? I don't know! The sun went down and I went to look for chips cheese and jalepenoes. Melt the cheese right on the chips and warm them peppers up til the house smells good! The first bird started singing at 4:40 this morning. One lonesome whipperwill singing to the sun! He wasn't alone by 5 but by 5:20 they were starting to do things other than sing!

Got some John Coltrane on the Stereo baby
make you feel alright
Got some fine wine in the freezer
mama, I know just what you like

what was the name of that band sang about Lohn Coltrane and freezer wine? I, can't recall...too much sun and beer I guess I suppose?

we gonna drink it
burn it
turn it loose
it's gonna be alright

(crazy harmonica and screaming guitars meandering about this space right here)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.